Thread: City of Dawson Springs

City of Dawson Springs

I recently learned that the City of Dawson Springs had a city ordinance which prohibited concealed weapons in city buildings, which is legal, but also prohibited concealed weapons in city owned vehicles, which is not legal. I have exchanged phone calls and emails several times with with Mayor Jenny Sewell. I explained the law on this several times and also gave her my opinion of the most effective way to fix things. Today, I got a copy of a new amended ordinance that was passed last week by the Dawson Springs City Council. If you just ignore the strike throughs, you will see the old ordinance, the new ordinance is what is left. Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/img-X05093128-0001.pdf

They have just eliminated the entire text of the ordinance. That is a very unusual solution, but in my opinion, a solution that should be adopted with all gun control laws. Unusual, but very effective. There is no question about what the ordinance does and does not do. Nobody can misunderstand it. The part about KRS 237.110, just means that they are deferring to state law. Dawson Springs has decided to get out of the business of regulating guns entirely. That is a wonderful idea.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

EXCELLENT

I agree. You are a true warrior.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I can understand that some small towns cannot afford a legal team who's job is to keep the town on the straight and narrow. Because of that, it becomes the job of the citizen, with the law in their hand, to keep these towns honest.

But, for those cities with the where with all have no excuse. That's when the citizen, with the law in their hand, must kick butt.

I believe that bureaucrats are beginning to understand that the citizen, with law in their hand, can be detrimental to their wellbeing. They can either comply with the law or suffer the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    I can understand that some small towns cannot afford a legal team who's job is to keep the town on the straight and narrow. Because of that, it becomes the job of the citizen, with the law in their hand, to keep these towns honest.

But, for those cities with the where with all have no excuse. That's when the citizen, with the law in their hand, must kick butt.

I believe that bureaucrats are beginning to understand that the citizen, with law in their hand, can be detrimental to their wellbeing. They can either comply with the law or suffer the consequences.

You are right. Many of these resolutions would not have been possible four years ago. We got some problems solved, but the worst of the violators laughed at us and dared us to sue. Getting the new amended KRS 65.870 was the key that unlocked that door. Of course, the 14-0 record in court cases has helped KC3's influence tremendously. No one is daring us to sue, any more. I would be less than honest if I didn't mention that the Ky. League of Cities has been very helpful, too. They are just doing what they are supposed to do, but they don't have to do as much or do it as well as they do. The relationship between KC3 and KLC has been a great advantage. I recently had a Mayor tell me that he had called KLC for advice on how to respond to an email I had sent. The Executive Director of KLC told him, "If gutshot has told you you have a problem with a gun issue, you have a problem with a gun issue. Ask him what is the best way to fix it and then do what he tells you." The Mayor then asked, "what if he lies to me and I can do something different, something easier?" the answer was, "he doesn't have to lie to you, the law is on his side and he knows it." You can't buy that kind of endorsement. In contrast, KACO (Ky. Association of Counties) won't take my phone calls or respond to emails.

Often a threat to take the complaint to an open city council meeting is enough to get a good outcome. In that case, at least the mayor gets to put his own spin on how and why the change came about. Something like, "in order to modernize our ordinances and bring them into compliance with new state legislation, we are proposing this minor change in city ordinances that were passed long before I took office and I have never endorsed" instead of "we have been violating the state law and violation people's rights for years and now we have to change or get sued. We'd like to fight this, but haven't got a chance of winning and it would cost us thousands of your tax dollars that we have recklessly put in jeopardy. KC3 was very decent to let us off the hook and nicely asked us to comply instead of just filing suit immediately" .
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Hence, walk softly and carry a big stick.....

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    ... Dawson Springs has decided to get out of the business of regulating guns entirely. That is a wonderful idea.
    Nice work!