Thread: From Greek tragedy to American therapy Postmodern victimhood is the luxury of affluen

From Greek tragedy to American therapy Postmodern victimhood is the luxury of affluen

The Greeks gave us tragedy — the idea that life is never fair. Terrible stuff for no reason tragically falls on good people. Life’s choices are sometimes only between the bad and the far worse.
    In the plays of the ancient dramatists Aeschylus and Sophocles, heroism and nobility only arise out of tragedies.
    The tragic hero refuses to blame the gods for his terrible fate. Instead, a Prometheus, Ajax or Oedipus prefers to fight against the odds. He thereby establishes a code of honor, even as defeat looms.
    In contrast, modern Americans have given the world therapy.
    [ .. ]
    A nation of victims soon becomes collectively paralyzed in fear of offending someone. Pay down the $20 trillion debt? Reform the unsustainable Social Security system? Ask the 47 percent of the population that pays no income tax to at least pay some?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ence-gone-mad/

No irony here!
    I was not unserious with my suspicion of Gastaut-Geschwind Syndrome. No more quote mining, contextomy!. I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Paul Henick/Skidmark (RIP) used to tell me that G*d hated me more than him, yet I'm still here. Guess that is my punishment for past deeds and I haven't changed my ways - don't plan to either.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

My Sainted Illuminatus Mother (no really, Church of the Illumination) taught me that our Heaven or Hell is here and now as we earn and deserve.
    I was not unserious with my suspicion of Gastaut-Geschwind Syndrome. No more quote mining, contextomy!. I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.