Thread: Open carried guns stolen?

Question Open carried guns stolen?

I have a friend in another state who claims that there have been several incidents of firearms stolen from open carriers. The only incident I have been able to find was the incident that some speculated was a cover-up for illegal activity.

Can anyone enlighten me? Has there been more than the one incident of which I have heard and that was, some time ago, discussed here on OCDO?
    Last edited by SFCRetired; 10-06-2016 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Fingers outran brain.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    I have a friend in another state who claims that there have been several incidents of firearms stolen from open carriers. The only incident I have been able to find was the incident that some speculated was a cover-up for illegal activity. ...
    Your friend made the claim. Suggest that HE back it up - otherwise it didn't happen.

In the meanwhile, tell him about your date with all the Kardashian sisters at once!
    Last edited by BB62; 10-06-2016 at 02:33 PM.

BB62 is correct, your friend should be the one who gives you links to the reports. But, since we take the high road, you could look into one of the blogs run by a member from Nevada by the name of Garand_Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Your friend made the claim. Suggest that HE back it up - otherwise it didn't happen.

In the meanwhile, tell him about your date with all the Kardashian sisters at once!

Oh man... so much potential... for jokes... must resist... don't want to get banned....
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 10-06-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

I'm waiting to hear from him now, but thought it might be a good idea to get additional comments/cites to rebut him.

As far as me, even in my much younger years, dating the Kardashian sisters; EWWWW, just EWWWW! Not my cup of tea at all.
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

State Researcher
    As far as me, even in my much younger years, dating the Kardashian sisters; EWWWW, just EWWWW! Not my cup of tea at all.
    +1

It is clear, to me at least, that one doesn't "date" the Kardashians nearly so much as one pays for their services. Not my thing at all even if weren't happily married.

An over-priced [prostitute] is still just a [prostitute].
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

The real point is that your friend's premise or reports of same are without merit.

If a person is extremely careless they could get their firearm 'stolen' no matter how they carry it.

Imagine you're a criminal and you are given an order to go out and find or procure a stolen handgun. Do you seriously think that your plan would be to look for open carriers and attempt to get close enough to 'steal' their firearm?

It's hard enough to spot someone carrying, now you have to find someone in a specific place within a specific time who is careless enough to be approached and mugged.

You might go years looking. The other paradigm might be a crime of opportunity. Same thing. Rare event, extremely difficult timing.

You don't decide to open carry (or not) based on thinking someone is going to come up and steal your firearm. And you open carry you also take precautions. Retention holster, BUG, working with a partner. It's too dangerous for most to attempt.

BGs want to take cops guns off their belts. It's difficult and the cops go up to BGs and are confrontational. Normal OCers don't do that as a routine.

Open carrying in 21st century America means savvy law abiding citizen means while out and about one be wearing a video camera means PROTECTION.

Regards

CCJ
    " No Moral Man can adjust to Injustice".. Henry David Thoreau

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Kardashian???? The family jewels could cost millions......

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Kardashian???? The family jewels could cost --snip--......
    Now they are worthless.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Now they are worthless.
    Bruce shall always have his or her medals.. To think I took up swimming because of him/her..

Tennis anyone?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post

Yes please, share it all with us, all the deep dark details and photos!

Nemo

I have a friend in another state who claims that there have been several incidents of firearms stolen from open carriers. The only incident I have been able to find was the incident that some speculated was a cover-up for illegal activity.

Can anyone enlighten me? Has there been more than the one incident of which I have heard and that was, some time ago, discussed here on OCDO?
    There have been a few of dubious authenticity.

For years we offered the challenge: Show us one (documented with cite) OC gun snatch from a legal honest OCer, not a LEO, security officer or military. Will one be found one day - of course; but the numbers, when compared with the thousands/millions of OC events, will yield a ratio not dissimilar to .000001% or less.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    There have been a few of dubious authenticity.

For years we offered the challenge: Show us one (documented with cite) OC gun snatch from a legal honest OCer, not a LEO, security officer or military. Will one be found one day - of course; but the numbers, when compared with the thousands/millions of OC events, will yield a ratio not dissimilar to .000001% or less.
    Our weapon followed by our video camera is our best defense..

Regards
    CCJ

Thanks, guys. To be fair to my friend; I think he was repeating what some in the concealed carry industry keep repeating. He is, as I am, retired military and very knowledgeable about firearms, but, for many years, (and I am sure he was the same way) I did not know the laws. OCDO was a very large factor in discovering that, yes, open carry is, and always has been, legal in Alabama.

What seems to muddy the waters is the oft-repeated opinions of so-called "experts" in the field of sidearm carry, one of whom took great pleasure in telling me I was an idiot for open carrying. I later found that individual's personal reputation to be somewhat less than stellar.

I'm waiting to hear from him now, but thought it might be a good idea to get additional comments/cites to rebut him.

You are going to have a hard time finding citations for what has not happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    I never referred to you or anyone else as a shoeshine boy... I simply told you to "go get your shine box'. Not a racial statement whatsoever..-snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    -snip- My offer still stands, if you want to do an honest days work, I will send you my antique shine box..

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    You are going to have a hard time finding citations for what has not happened.
    Perhaps I am wrong, but, to me, lack of verifiable citations concerning alleged happenings is a very good indication, if not proof, that the events did not happen.

Perhaps I am wrong, but, to me, lack of verifiable citations concerning alleged happenings is a very good indication, if not proof, that the events did not happen.
    Remember the odds:

CC well and look 100% like a typical victim - no deterrent.

OC and risk about .00001% of having your gun taken from you - a visual deterrent and no report of what didn't happen.

Does anyone need to be told which I prefer?

Well here is a dumbass who got one stolen from him at McDonald's. My impression from the video is that this guy was an idiot and just stuck a gun in his back pocket, I could go on about the idiocy of this person but I am sure it's plain to everyone on this forum.

http://www.guns.com/2016/05/03/suspe...-pocket-video/
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    Well here is a dumbass who got one stolen from him at McDonald's. My impression from the video is that this guy was an idiot and just stuck a gun in his back pocket, I could go on about the idiocy of this person but I am sure it's plain to everyone on this forum.

http://www.guns.com/2016/05/03/suspe...-pocket-video/
    The video is totally black, can't be viewed.

However, the description of what happened doesn't meet the required element of carrying a properly holstered handgun as we go about our everyday business.

Conclusion: Gun was stolen much like if he had left it on his car seat with the window down, but it was not an OC gun snatch.

Here's what I would envision as a very robust carry system using open carry which is virtually impossible to interdict by a gun grab.

1. Carry with a partner (who is being an extra set of "eyes", primarily), and also recording
    2. Appendix carry
    3. Centerline carry of the Kabar TDI knife as a first response to a 'grab'.
    4. Retention holster if you can't appendix carry
    5. Follow 3 S rule
    6. Don't insert yourself
    7. Avoid obvious mistakes, like wearing headphones, texting while walking, touching your firearm
    8. Carry a recorder, preferable audio and video, always on to prevent false accusations
    9. Carry with a friend who also does OC.
    10. Know the laws in your area, especially contact rules and 'must disclose/present' permit laws), and follow them.

It's up to the individual or team on how to train, practice, assure and do backup.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 10-09-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Here's what I would envision as a very robust carry system using open carry which is virtually impossible to interdict by a gun grab.

1. Carry with a partner (who is being an extra set of "eyes", primarily), and also recording
    2. Appendix carry
    3. Centerline carry of the Kabar TDI knife as a first response to a 'grab'.
    4. Retention holster if you can't appendix carry
    5. Follow 3 S rule
    6. Don't insert yourself
    7. Avoid obvious mistakes, like wearing headphones, texting while walking, touching your firearm
    8. Carry a recorder, preferable audio and video, always on to prevent false accusations
    9. Carry with a friend who also does OC.
    10. Know the laws in your area, especially contact rules and 'must disclose/present' permit laws), and follow them.

It's up to the individual or team on how to train, practice, assure and do backup.
    11. Get in line at Wendy's behind five cops, break their uncomfortable silence by thanking them for their service, and enjoy the "free" protection. At least until lunch is over.

Your Item 1 comes in at a close second.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.