• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carried guns stolen?

SFCRetired

I have a friend in another state who claims that there have been several incidents of firearms stolen from open carriers. The only incident I have been able to find was the incident that some speculated was a cover-up for illegal activity.

Can anyone enlighten me? Has there been more than the one incident of which I have heard and that was, some time ago, discussed here on OCDO?

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have a friend in another state who claims that there have been several incidents of firearms stolen from open carriers. The only incident I have been able to find was the incident that some speculated was a cover-up for illegal activity. ...
Your friend made the claim. Suggest that HE back it up - otherwise it didn't happen.

In the meanwhile, tell him about your date with all the Kardashian sisters at once!

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

BB62 is correct, your friend should be the one who gives you links to the reports. But, since we take the high road, you could look into one of the blogs run by a member from Nevada by the name of Garand_Guy.

Your friend made the claim. Suggest that HE back it up - otherwise it didn't happen.

In the meanwhile, tell him about your date with all the Kardashian sisters at once!

Oh man... so much potential... for jokes... must resist... don't want to get banned....

Last edited:

SFCRetired

I'm waiting to hear from him now, but thought it might be a good idea to get additional comments/cites to rebut him.

As far as me, even in my much younger years, dating the Kardashian sisters; EWWWW, just EWWWW! Not my cup of tea at all.

utbagpiper

Banned
As far as me, even in my much younger years, dating the Kardashian sisters; EWWWW, just EWWWW! Not my cup of tea at all.

+1

It is clear, to me at least, that one doesn't "date" the Kardashians nearly so much as one pays for their services. Not my thing at all even if weren't happily married.

An over-priced [prostitute] is still just a [prostitute].

Maverick9

The real point is that your friend's premise or reports of same are without merit.

If a person is extremely careless they could get their firearm 'stolen' no matter how they carry it.

Imagine you're a criminal and you are given an order to go out and find or procure a stolen handgun. Do you seriously think that your plan would be to look for open carriers and attempt to get close enough to 'steal' their firearm?

It's hard enough to spot someone carrying, now you have to find someone in a specific place within a specific time who is careless enough to be approached and mugged.

You might go years looking. The other paradigm might be a crime of opportunity. Same thing. Rare event, extremely difficult timing.

You don't decide to open carry (or not) based on thinking someone is going to come up and steal your firearm. And you open carry you also take precautions. Retention holster, BUG, working with a partner. It's too dangerous for most to attempt.

BGs want to take cops guns off their belts. It's difficult and the cops go up to BGs and are confrontational. Normal OCers don't do that as a routine.

countryclubjoe

Open carrying in 21st century America means savvy law abiding citizen means while out and about one be wearing a video camera means PROTECTION.

Regards

CCJ

Va_Nemo

Yes please, share it all with us, all the deep dark details and photos!

Nemo

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a friend in another state who claims that there have been several incidents of firearms stolen from open carriers. The only incident I have been able to find was the incident that some speculated was a cover-up for illegal activity.

Can anyone enlighten me? Has there been more than the one incident of which I have heard and that was, some time ago, discussed here on OCDO?

There have been a few of dubious authenticity.

For years we offered the challenge: Show us one (documented with cite) OC gun snatch from a legal honest OCer, not a LEO, security officer or military. Will one be found one day - of course; but the numbers, when compared with the thousands/millions of OC events, will yield a ratio not dissimilar to .000001% or less.

countryclubjoe

There have been a few of dubious authenticity.

For years we offered the challenge: Show us one (documented with cite) OC gun snatch from a legal honest OCer, not a LEO, security officer or military. Will one be found one day - of course; but the numbers, when compared with the thousands/millions of OC events, will yield a ratio not dissimilar to .000001% or less.

Our weapon followed by our video camera is our best defense..

Regards
CCJ

SFCRetired

Thanks, guys. To be fair to my friend; I think he was repeating what some in the concealed carry industry keep repeating. He is, as I am, retired military and very knowledgeable about firearms, but, for many years, (and I am sure he was the same way) I did not know the laws. OCDO was a very large factor in discovering that, yes, open carry is, and always has been, legal in Alabama.

What seems to muddy the waters is the oft-repeated opinions of so-called "experts" in the field of sidearm carry, one of whom took great pleasure in telling me I was an idiot for open carrying. I later found that individual's personal reputation to be somewhat less than stellar.

WalkingWolf

I'm waiting to hear from him now, but thought it might be a good idea to get additional comments/cites to rebut him.

You are going to have a hard time finding citations for what has not happened.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perhaps I am wrong, but, to me, lack of verifiable citations concerning alleged happenings is a very good indication, if not proof, that the events did not happen.
Remember the odds:

CC well and look 100% like a typical victim - no deterrent.

OC and risk about .00001% of having your gun taken from you - a visual deterrent and no report of what didn't happen.

Does anyone need to be told which I prefer?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well here is a dumbass who got one stolen from him at McDonald's. My impression from the video is that this guy was an idiot and just stuck a gun in his back pocket, I could go on about the idiocy of this person but I am sure it's plain to everyone on this forum.

http://www.guns.com/2016/05/03/suspect-caught-on-camera-swiping-gun-from-mans-pocket-video/

The video is totally black, can't be viewed.

However, the description of what happened doesn't meet the required element of carrying a properly holstered handgun as we go about our everyday business.

Conclusion: Gun was stolen much like if he had left it on his car seat with the window down, but it was not an OC gun snatch.

Maverick9

Here's what I would envision as a very robust carry system using open carry which is virtually impossible to interdict by a gun grab.

1. Carry with a partner (who is being an extra set of "eyes", primarily), and also recording
2. Appendix carry
3. Centerline carry of the Kabar TDI knife as a first response to a 'grab'.
4. Retention holster if you can't appendix carry
5. Follow 3 S rule
6. Don't insert yourself
7. Avoid obvious mistakes, like wearing headphones, texting while walking, touching your firearm
8. Carry a recorder, preferable audio and video, always on to prevent false accusations
9. Carry with a friend who also does OC.
10. Know the laws in your area, especially contact rules and 'must disclose/present' permit laws), and follow them.

It's up to the individual or team on how to train, practice, assure and do backup.

Last edited: