Thread: Universal M-1

Universal M-1

Anyone have any insight on this rifle? One is up for auction soon and I may be interested but I have no idea what may be a fair price. What I have found so far puts it between 250 and 350. Picture seems to show it in good shape.

Universal M-1s were made after WWII and had a poor reputation for working I would not buy one.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 10-06-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Universal M-1s were made after WWII and had a poor reputation for working I would not buy one.
    The Universal M1 carbine has not enjoyed the best reputation. It would not be high on my list to acquire either.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

As usual, there is far more to the story.

You need to get the serial number and find out what generation it is.

First generation is USGI parts and has a great reputation.
    Second generation is a mix of USGI and commercial parts, and most are pretty good.
    Third generation (no USGI parts) is the one with which most people have experience, and they are crap.

That should be enough for you to do some research.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-06-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    As usual, there is far more to the story.

You need to get the serial number and find out what generation it is.

First generation is USGI parts and has a great reputation.
    Second generation is a mix of USGI and commercial parts, and most are pretty good.
    Third generation (no USGI parts) is the one with which most people have experience, and they are crap.

That should be enough for you to do some research.
    If you want an M1 Carbine, MKS Supply, parent corp of Hi Point Firearms are bringing them back. Yeah beat up Hi Point but you cant break them.

Nemo

http://www.mkssupply.com/

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    If you want an M1 Carbine, MKS Supply, parent corp of Hi Point Firearms are bringing them back. Yeah beat up Hi Point but you cant break them.

Nemo

http://www.mkssupply.com/

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/
    MSRP: $1079.00 - that's a stout starting price.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

raising my hand in my normal quiet and respectful manner, as i ask the obvious question...

this is, the OC handgun forum and isn't the M1 a rifle?

just saying, worse threads than this have been locked and chained!

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    raising my hand in my normal quiet and respectful manner, as i ask the obvious question...

this is, the OC handgun forum and isn't the M1 a rifle?

just saying, worse threads than this have been locked and chained!

ipse
    It is a carbine , but obviously not a handgun.

Yes, we do not promote long guns, but we have permitted questions about them.

Moving this thread to the Social Lounge.

Thanks for the input guys. Been doing my research on this and it sounds like if I can pick it up for the right price I may bid on it for the fun of it.

As to it being a rifle well, I thought that the General Chat forum was the appropriate place to post seeing we are supposed to be able to talk about whatever here, good restaurants, good movies, the hurricane etc, Maybe I am mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Been doing my research on this and it sounds like if I can pick it up for the right price I may bid on it for the fun of it.

As to it being a rifle well, I thought that the General Chat forum was the appropriate place to post seeing we are supposed to be able to talk about whatever here, good restaurants, good movies, the hurricane etc, Maybe I am mistaken.
    As long as it does not promote the urban carrying of the rifle, it is not off topic to discuss rifles in general. This is still a community of firearms enthusiasts, and we like to talk.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

What you are defining is the Social Lounge, which is where this thread now resides after it was moved.

Talk away.

My bad, and my apologies. I have hung out on OCDO for some 8 years or so now and .........I guess we all make a mistake once in a while. If anyone is interested I will post what it sells for. Auction is this Saturday evening.

My bad, and my apologies. I have hung out on OCDO for some 8 years or so now and .........I guess we all make a mistake once in a while. If anyone is interested I will post what it sells for. Auction is this Saturday evening.
    No apology needed.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

We all can benefit from additional knowledge. I know that I am still learning and being taught new things by others is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    No apology needed.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

We all can benefit from additional knowledge. I know that I am still learning and being taught new things by others is good.
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Rifle went for $375 tonight.