• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Universal M-1

Ken56

Anyone have any insight on this rifle? One is up for auction soon and I may be interested but I have no idea what may be a fair price. What I have found so far puts it between 250 and 350. Picture seems to show it in good shape.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As usual, there is far more to the story.

You need to get the serial number and find out what generation it is.

First generation is USGI parts and has a great reputation.
Second generation is a mix of USGI and commercial parts, and most are pretty good.
Third generation (no USGI parts) is the one with which most people have experience, and they are crap.

That should be enough for you to do some research.

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

As usual, there is far more to the story.

You need to get the serial number and find out what generation it is.

First generation is USGI parts and has a great reputation.
Second generation is a mix of USGI and commercial parts, and most are pretty good.
Third generation (no USGI parts) is the one with which most people have experience, and they are crap.

That should be enough for you to do some research.

If you want an M1 Carbine, MKS Supply, parent corp of Hi Point Firearms are bringing them back. Yeah beat up Hi Point but you cant break them.

Nemo

http://www.mkssupply.com/

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

solus

raising my hand in my normal quiet and respectful manner, as i ask the obvious question...

this is, the OC handgun forum and isn't the M1 a rifle?

just saying, worse threads than this have been locked and chained!

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
raising my hand in my normal quiet and respectful manner, as i ask the obvious question...

this is, the OC handgun forum and isn't the M1 a rifle?

just saying, worse threads than this have been locked and chained!

ipse
It is a carbine :D, but obviously not a handgun.

Yes, we do not promote long guns, but we have permitted questions about them.

Moving this thread to the Social Lounge.

Ken56

Thanks for the input guys. Been doing my research on this and it sounds like if I can pick it up for the right price I may bid on it for the fun of it.

As to it being a rifle well, I thought that the General Chat forum was the appropriate place to post seeing we are supposed to be able to talk about whatever here, good restaurants, good movies, the hurricane etc, Maybe I am mistaken.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the input guys. Been doing my research on this and it sounds like if I can pick it up for the right price I may bid on it for the fun of it.

As to it being a rifle well, I thought that the General Chat forum was the appropriate place to post seeing we are supposed to be able to talk about whatever here, good restaurants, good movies, the hurricane etc, Maybe I am mistaken.

As long as it does not promote the urban carrying of the rifle, it is not off topic to discuss rifles in general. This is still a community of firearms enthusiasts, and we like to talk.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

What you are defining is the Social Lounge, which is where this thread now resides after it was moved.

Talk away.

Ken56

My bad, and my apologies. I have hung out on OCDO for some 8 years or so now and .........I guess we all make a mistake once in a while. If anyone is interested I will post what it sells for. Auction is this Saturday evening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My bad, and my apologies. I have hung out on OCDO for some 8 years or so now and .........I guess we all make a mistake once in a while. If anyone is interested I will post what it sells for. Auction is this Saturday evening.
No apology needed.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. :lol:

We all can benefit from additional knowledge. I know that I am still learning and being taught new things by others is good.