• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

curfew clarification?

solus

quote:
§ 166A-19.31. Power of municipalities and counties to enact ordinances to deal with states of emergency.
(a) not germane
(b) Type of Prohibitions and Restrictions Authorized. - The ordinances authorized by this section may permit prohibitions and restrictions:
(1) Of movements of people in public places, including imposing a curfew; directing and compelling the voluntary or mandatory evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the governing body's jurisdiction; prescribing routes, modes of transportation, and destinations in connection with evacuation; and controlling ingress and egress of an emergency area, and the movement of persons within the area. unquote
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_166a.html

understood state lost the ability in 2012to bar citizens from their legally carried firearms.

my question centers around curfew policies yet i am unable to find any criteria in NC state statutes regarding governance...this from local newspaper...

quote:
Curfew exceptions:

All employees who are in their official capacity during the curfew hours;
All other law enforcement or other government or service providers responding in their official capacities;
Those who appearance is essential to obtain or furnish a service or commodity which is immediately necessary to sustain the health or well-being of themselves or someone within the curfew area; and
Those whose appearance necessarily occurs in the process of leaving a place at which they were temporarily engaged and for which they could not reasonably have planned their department so as to avoid appearing during the period which the curfew as applicable. unquote
http://goldsborodailynews.com/blog/2016/10/09/500-p-m-update-from-wayne-county-and-governor-mccrory/

insight...

ipse

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

quote:
§ 166A-19.31. Power of municipalities and counties to enact ordinances to deal with states of emergency.
(a) not germane
(b) Type of Prohibitions and Restrictions Authorized. - The ordinances authorized by this section may permit prohibitions and restrictions:
(1) Of movements of people in public places, including imposing a curfew; directing and compelling the voluntary or mandatory evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the governing body's jurisdiction; prescribing routes, modes of transportation, and destinations in connection with evacuation; and controlling ingress and egress of an emergency area, and the movement of persons within the area. unquote
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_166a.html

understood state lost the ability in 2012to bar citizens from their legally carried firearms.

my question centers around curfew policies yet i am unable to find any criteria in NC state statutes regarding governance...this from local newspaper...

quote:
Curfew exceptions:

All employees who are in their official capacity during the curfew hours;
All other law enforcement or other government or service providers responding in their official capacities;
Those who appearance is essential to obtain or furnish a service or commodity which is immediately necessary to sustain the health or well-being of themselves or someone within the curfew area; and
Those whose appearance necessarily occurs in the process of leaving a place at which they were temporarily engaged and for which they could not reasonably have planned their department so as to avoid appearing during the period which the curfew as applicable. unquote

http://goldsborodailynews.com/blog/2016/10/09/500-p-m-update-from-wayne-county-and-governor-mccrory/

insight...

ipse

Interesting topic Sir, what actually constitutes a state of emergency, and what authority authorized said emergency and does a states quasi authority trump(for lack of a better word) the Constitution? It would appear in modern society that "public liberty trumps 'individual liberty".. Folks today are more concerned with being protected by their Government, than concerning themselves with their own liberty.. I have never heard a government say, we are doing this or that for your liberty, however they constantly say, we are doing this or that for your own SAFETY.. Most folks know the meaning of safety however most would not know the meaning of "Liberty".

My .02
Regards
CCJ

solus

3 Oct 16, quote: Governor McCrory this afternoon declared a state of emergency for 66 counties to facilitate the movement of any resources that may be needed to respond to the storm. It also waives truck weight, size and hours of service restrictions so that farmers can quickly harvest their crops before the storm hits. unquote

this was the NC's Governor SoE before Matthew hit...to help farmers...period!

btw, thinking about it there is no methodology noted to advise citizens of SoE additions or curfew mandates ~ as power was out and so forth in this region...now cell phones now get pushed automated nws broadcasts wonder why the emergency management doesnt do the same for these 'important' notices for its citizens?

ipse