Thread: OC in the workplace

OC in the workplace

Hey guys! I recently started oc-ing in my office due to a very scary situation that took place. After being threatened, I decided to protect myself. Now that I oc, my boss wants to make a big deal out of it. Can someone please tell me what legal stand point I have to oc here. P.S. I do plan on getting my Concealed Permit within 2 weeks. I work in a not so great area and due to all the "crazies" running around here, I feel safer than ever before! Thanks in advance y'all!

Welcome to OCDO

I have asked the moderator to move your question to the Virginia state sub-forum as it depends on particular state statutes. Welcome to OCDO.
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

The biggest thing is what does your company handbook say? Making the assumption that you work for a private sector business, the owners/board of directors/CEO etc etc have every right to set rules down that you cannot carry a firearm on your person outside of your personally owned vehicle while on their property.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

In Virginia, private businesses can prohibit the storage of firearms in your personal vehicle as well.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Private property = their rules, including the on site parking facility. It is that simple.

Bucking the company rules or a decision leaves one open to sanctions all the way to dismissal for cause.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Private property = their rules, including the on site parking facility. It is that simple.

Bucking the company rules or a decision leaves one open to sanctions all the way to dismissal for cause.
    In the area of firearms this is true. Kind of shame that anti-discrimination laws continue to leave such a huge hole that allows gun owners to be so treated.

I can accept a libertarian argument against anti-discrimination laws.

Or, I can accept that no discrimination for lawful, peaceful, non-disruptive personal attributes or behavior should be permitted.

What really rubs me the wrong way is that anti-discrimination favors certain groups and certain traits/behaviors while leaving other groups and trait/behaviors out in the cold.

Apologies for the off-topic rant on this thread.

To come back onto topic a bit, "parking lot preemption" to protect employees against negative employment action for lawful items stored in their private cars parked in the company parking lot seems to me to be a workable compromise. Employers still control their property materially, but do not get to reach into a private employee's car. Employees are not disarmed for their commute or other pre or post work activities, nor for what they do over the lunch hour.

Obviously, this requires legislation which probably doesn't make it past your current governor.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikole Hayes View Post
    Hey guys! I recently started oc-ing in my office due to a very scary situation that took place. After being threatened, I decided to protect myself. Now that I oc, my boss wants to make a big deal out of it. Can someone please tell me what legal stand point I have to oc here. P.S. I do plan on getting my Concealed Permit within 2 weeks. I work in a not so great area and due to all the "crazies" running around here, I feel safer than ever before! Thanks in advance y'all!

If you can get your employer to consider allowing his employees to be armed, you might recommend to him a book called "Guns in the Workplace: A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees" by Chuck Klein. It provides practical tips for policies and procedures to protect both the employer and employee.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    If you can get your employer to consider allowing his employees to be armed, you might recommend to him a book called "Guns in the Workplace: A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees" by Chuck Klein. It provides practical tips for policies and procedures to protect both the employer and employee.
    Thanks for the info on that book - added it to my list.

Unfortunately, your hot link did not work.

Readers might try this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Workplac.../dp/0936783494
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

I find the OP's question reasonable, but in the absence of the 'scary thing' (why?) and the type of business, which has a modest application (Maternity Wear Store vs Gun Store?), the OP has failed to post a believable comment.

It's like a 'what kind of bullets should I get?' post. Vague that up for us, why don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    I find the OP's question reasonable, but in the absence of the 'scary thing' (why?) and the type of business, which has a modest application (Maternity Wear Store vs Gun Store?), the OP has failed to post a believable comment.

It's like a 'what kind of bullets should I get?' post. Vague that up for us, why don't you?
    More to the point, she has not been back on line here since posting the OP = a drive-by?

5 min. logged in to post and then 16 minutes to look around. Maybe she'll be back, maybe she won't.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-15-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added

More to the point, she has not been back on line here since posting the OP = a drive-by?

5 min. logged in to post and then 16 minutes to look around. Maybe she'll be back, maybe she won't.
    Perhaps she has returned anonymously, without logging in, to check for responses. I'm prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt for now before mentioning those creatures that live under bridges and attempt to eat goats.

Also, as the first response mentions asking a moderator to move the thread to the Virginia sub forum, while a good idea, MAY HAVE (and I'm just taking a wild stab-in-the-dark guess here) caused the OP to have problems locating it again or upset them in some way.
    Last edited by scouser; 10-15-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Perhaps she has returned anonymously without logging in to check for responses. I'm prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt for now before mentioning those creatures that live under bridges and attempt to eat goats.
    That's entirely possible. She has posted nothing that would justify the "T" descriptor. Giving benefit of the doubt includes her being candid and truthful + being one of the good/pro people. Waiting for more info costs us nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    those creatures that live under bridges and attempt to eat goats.
    Hey bridges do well to keep one out of the weather and goats taste great!

Nemo