• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the workplace

Nikole Hayes

Hey guys! I recently started oc-ing in my office due to a very scary situation that took place. After being threatened, I decided to protect myself. Now that I oc, my boss wants to make a big deal out of it. Can someone please tell me what legal stand point I have to oc here. P.S. I do plan on getting my Concealed Permit within 2 weeks. I work in a not so great area and due to all the "crazies" running around here, I feel safer than ever before! Thanks in advance y'all!

DeSchaine

The biggest thing is what does your company handbook say? Making the assumption that you work for a private sector business, the owners/board of directors/CEO etc etc have every right to set rules down that you cannot carry a firearm on your person outside of your personally owned vehicle while on their property.

FBrinson

In Virginia, private businesses can prohibit the storage of firearms in your personal vehicle as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Private property = their rules, including the on site parking facility. It is that simple.

Bucking the company rules or a decision leaves one open to sanctions all the way to dismissal for cause.

utbagpiper

Banned
Private property = their rules, including the on site parking facility. It is that simple.

Bucking the company rules or a decision leaves one open to sanctions all the way to dismissal for cause.

In the area of firearms this is true. Kind of shame that anti-discrimination laws continue to leave such a huge hole that allows gun owners to be so treated.

I can accept a libertarian argument against anti-discrimination laws.

Or, I can accept that no discrimination for lawful, peaceful, non-disruptive personal attributes or behavior should be permitted.

What really rubs me the wrong way is that anti-discrimination favors certain groups and certain traits/behaviors while leaving other groups and trait/behaviors out in the cold.

Apologies for the off-topic rant on this thread.

To come back onto topic a bit, "parking lot preemption" to protect employees against negative employment action for lawful items stored in their private cars parked in the company parking lot seems to me to be a workable compromise. Employers still control their property materially, but do not get to reach into a private employee's car. Employees are not disarmed for their commute or other pre or post work activities, nor for what they do over the lunch hour.

Obviously, this requires legislation which probably doesn't make it past your current governor.

Charles

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Hey guys! I recently started oc-ing in my office due to a very scary situation that took place. After being threatened, I decided to protect myself. Now that I oc, my boss wants to make a big deal out of it. Can someone please tell me what legal stand point I have to oc here. P.S. I do plan on getting my Concealed Permit within 2 weeks. I work in a not so great area and due to all the "crazies" running around here, I feel safer than ever before! Thanks in advance y'all!

If you can get your employer to consider allowing his employees to be armed, you might recommend to him a book called "Guns in the Workplace: A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees" by Chuck Klein. It provides practical tips for policies and procedures to protect both the employer and employee.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you can get your employer to consider allowing his employees to be armed, you might recommend to him a book called "Guns in the Workplace: A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees" by Chuck Klein. It provides practical tips for policies and procedures to protect both the employer and employee.
Thanks for the info on that book - added it to my list.

Unfortunately, your hot link did not work.

Readers might try this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Workplace-Private-Employers-Employees/dp/0936783494

Maverick9

I find the OP's question reasonable, but in the absence of the 'scary thing' (why?) and the type of business, which has a modest application (Maternity Wear Store vs Gun Store?), the OP has failed to post a believable comment.

It's like a 'what kind of bullets should I get?' post. Vague that up for us, why don't you?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I find the OP's question reasonable, but in the absence of the 'scary thing' (why?) and the type of business, which has a modest application (Maternity Wear Store vs Gun Store?), the OP has failed to post a believable comment.

It's like a 'what kind of bullets should I get?' post. Vague that up for us, why don't you?

More to the point, she has not been back on line here since posting the OP = a drive-by?

5 min. logged in to post and then 16 minutes to look around. Maybe she'll be back, maybe she won't.

Last edited:

scouser

More to the point, she has not been back on line here since posting the OP = a drive-by?

5 min. logged in to post and then 16 minutes to look around. Maybe she'll be back, maybe she won't.

Perhaps she has returned anonymously, without logging in, to check for responses. I'm prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt for now before mentioning those creatures that live under bridges and attempt to eat goats.

Also, as the first response mentions asking a moderator to move the thread to the Virginia sub forum, while a good idea, MAY HAVE (and I'm just taking a wild stab-in-the-dark guess here) caused the OP to have problems locating it again or upset them in some way.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Perhaps she has returned anonymously without logging in to check for responses. I'm prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt for now before mentioning those creatures that live under bridges and attempt to eat goats.
That's entirely possible. She has posted nothing that would justify the "T" descriptor. Giving benefit of the doubt includes her being candid and truthful + being one of the good/pro people. Waiting for more info costs us nothing.