Thread: What do Americans fear? Annual Survey of American Fears released. Gun control, top 10

What do Americans fear? Annual Survey of American Fears released. Gun control, top 10

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-america...-american.html

The GfK Group Project Report for the National Survey of Fear – Wave 3

http://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/res...ve-3-draft.pdf
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

quote: In April of 2016, a random sample of 1,511 adults from across the United States ...

so pray tell, where did the 1.5K folk come from across the US, urban or rural?
    what are their ages?
    what are their sexes?
    how were the questions worded out of the '10 domains'

unquote https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/...op-fears-2016/

Sorry,.BS in BS out and everyone is wrapped around the axlef hooked pushing the hyperbole...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-13-2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: depersonalized my post
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Sample Definition
    The target population consists of the following: General population adults, age 18+, English language survey takers.
    To sample the population, GfK sampled households from its KnowledgePanel, a probability- based web panel designed to be representative of the United States. To qualify for the main survey, a panel member must have been:
     Age 18+
     English language survey takers

All your questions are answered as above from page 6 and follows.

If you wish to address me personally then take it to PM a.k.a Personal Messaging.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    On this publicly viewable forum, we address facts not perceived personalities issues.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Men fear two things. Losing their hair and having to ride around in red convertibles from one public restroom to another. But it's OK, we have pills for that.

HTH

UPDATE!! Anthony Watts Up With That picks up the story.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/10/...-make-the-cut/

WUWT specializes in close examination of data, and here re-examined the study for their purposes. A ranking of all study fears shows 'gun control' as number five of perhaps a hundred. Top fear is Corrupt Government Officials.

Don't miss the comments.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-13-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/10/...-make-the-cut/

WUWT specializes in close examination of data, and here re-examined the study for their purposes. A ranking of all study fears shows 'gun control' as number five of perhaps a hundred. Top fear is Corrupt Government Officials.

Don't miss the comments.
    So, the logical conclusion of your statement is because of the fear of the government people fear gun control. Seems logical to me.

sorry the cited research does not have any validity...

1.5K > 18 English, speaking participants does not make anything w/o controls on
    1. how the questions were asked ~ w/ or w/o same tone, emphasis, or same order, etc.
    2. ethinicity, e.g., persons of color, Asian, Hispanic, recent immigrant, Native, or white
    3. what national big sensation news story was running...let's see, oh yes, SB shooting was in Dec and in April the FBI was spending almost a Million to prove to themselves there was a terrorist connection. Bet if you surveyed today, the questions of participants in SE & Carolinas your climate change responses would skyrocket.

and so forth.

nor reliability ~ ability to be repeatable. oh wait that is the point isn't it...to change due to what is being circulated by Orwell's news...

junk in junk out...

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Men fear two things. Losing their hair and having to ride around in red convertibles from one public restroom to another. But it's OK, we have pills for that.

HTH
    Do they work for you?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Do they work for you?
    Yes and no... :wink:

It's quite interesting that the supposed number one "fear" is one that, when realized, leads directly to four or five of the other listed items, and at least indirectly to another, and, yet, here we are on the verge of electing to the highest office in the nation the most politically and morally corrupt individual to have ever received her party's nomination.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by TXOC16 View Post
    It's quite interesting that the supposed number one "fear" is one that, when realized, leads directly to four or five of the other listed items, and at least indirectly to another, and, yet, here we are on the verge of electing to the highest office in the nation the most politically and morally corrupt individual to have ever received her party's nomination.
    Blow the dam, flood the countryside, see what floats to the top. (not seriously, sarcasm deployed)

Blow the dam, flood the countryside, see what floats to the top. (not seriously, sarcasm deployed)
    uh, bovine manure?

(alternatively a blond color'd hair piece)

ipse

Well said.

Redounds well with election 2016 as America's American Airways Flight 93.