Thread: The Vanishing Center of American Democracy, UVa Inst. for Advanced Studies in Culture

The Vanishing Center of American Democracy, UVa Inst. for Advanced Studies in Culture

The dramatic twists and turns of the 2016 presidential race exposed profound shifts in America’s political culture that challenge the legitimacy of the governing institutions of our democracy, according to report authors James Davison Hunter and Carl Desportes Bowman. The Vanishing Center reveals the multiplying fault lines of a culture war that pits many of America’s highly educated and prosperous against the less-educated and economically struggling.

The Institute’s 2016 Survey of American Political Culture limns the contours and depths of Americans’ dissatisfaction not only with the economy, electoral politics, and our political leaders but with the very underpinnings of our political culture.

http://www.iasc-culture.org/survey_a...hingCenter.pdf

http://www.iasc-culture.org/blog/the...t-noon-oct-12/

New political survey finds US is increasingly 'two nations in one'
    "Hunter cited survey findings that confirm these levels of disaffection:
    • Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of the American public has little to no confidence that the government in Washington will actually solve the problems it sets its mind to solve.
    • Vast majorities of those polled believe that most politicians are more interested in winning elections than in doing what is right, and that while the system of government is good, the people running it are incompetent.
    • Significant majorities agree most elected officials don't care what they think and that they don't have any say about what the government does.
    "

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-politic...y-nations.html
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

oh my goodness...the brick and mortar institutes need to do spend tine and money on yet another study on the obvious?

thank goodness there are those who expend their time roaming the darkest recesses and oblique sites to find such illuminating and fascinating (yawn) article(s).

forgive me, i am going to go knocking on heaven's door while i peruse Zimmerman's Nobel winning prose far more interesting...

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    SNIP The dramatic twists and turns of the 2016 presidential race exposed profound shifts in America’s political culture that challenge the legitimacy of the governing institutions of our democracy, according to report authors James Davison Hunter and Carl Desportes Bowman. The Vanishing Center reveals the multiplying fault lines of a culture war that pits many of America’s highly educated and prosperous against the less-educated and economically struggling.
    Now, what on earth does political culture have to do with the legitimacy of the governing institutions?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Now, what on earth does political culture have to do with the legitimacy of the governing institutions?
    It seems to me that for a while, for my Baby Boomer Generation anyway, the dominant political culture in the USA has presumed the legitimacy of the Ruling Parties and their governments and institutions.

My faith in the presumption has dwindled with age and experience to where I no longer presume so.

Presume means true without evidence to the contrary. There is evidence to the contrary.
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    --snipped--

Presume means true without evidence to the contrary. There is evidence to the contrary.
    Just a smidgen - as in a metric ton!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    It seems to me that for a while, for my Baby Boomer Generation anyway, the dominant political culture in the USA has presumed the legitimacy of the Ruling Parties and their governments and institutions.

My faith in the presumption has dwindled with age and experience to where I no longer presume so.

Well, yes. I understand. But, that is a little different.

You're talking about how others viewed the legitimacy. I'm asking about the actual legitimacy.

Oh! Unless you're saying the actual legitimacy rests entirely upon a presumed legitimacy?

(None of that is a covert attempted commentary on the dwindling of your faith in their presumption.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    ???
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-16-2016 at 07:44 PM.