Thread: I never worry Ill be shot in Chicago. After all, Im white. Washington Post

I never worry Ill be shot in Chicago. After all, Im white. Washington Post

Chicago has more homicides than any other city in the United States more than New York and Los Angeles combined but white people are nearly as safe here as in Europe. Through late September, more than 550 people in Chicago have been homicide victims this year. Of those, more than 400 were black, about 90 were Latino and fewer than 30 were white/other, even though were the most numerous ethnic category in the city and the surrounding area. (Fewer than 10 victims were categorized as being of unknown ethnicity.) The black homicide rate last year was 46 per 100,000, higher than it was a decade ago. The white rate, which has declined, was 2.7. That means blacks are 17 times more likely to be killed than whites.
    [ ... ]
    Theres a ridiculous trope put forward by the makers of TV crime dramas, auto alarm systems, handguns and attack ads against soft-on-crime politicians that white people who set foot in the inner city are prey for African American criminals. Even my black neighbors believe it. I think Caucasians who walk down this street are pretty brave, one of the sneaker store owners told me. I think the black people are brave, I said. Theyre the ones who get shot.

Donald Trump brought up Chicagos violence in last Monday nights presidential debate, arguing that the city needs to hire more police officers and adopt the stop-and-frisk policies which he credits with reducing New York Citys homicide rate, but which were ruled unconstitutional in 2013. We need law and order in the inner cities, because the people that are most affected by whats happening are African-American and Hispanic, Trump said. He may not have the right solutions, but he is right about the racial disparities in the citys slayings.
    [ ... ]
    By Edward McClelland, September 28, the author of "Nothin' but Blue Skies: The Heyday, Hard Times and Hopes of America's Industrial Heartland."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.19c36af0380e
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

I never worry about being shot in Chicago either. I refuse to visit that particular armpit of the Midwest. How far that place has fallen from the "Stormy, Husky, Brawling, City of the Big Shoulders" it once was. Carl Sandburg would weep.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Chit-cago...nuff said!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare