Thread: Is Your Home Bulletproof?

Question Is Your Home Bulletproof?

Well this is something often discussed in firearms groups, survivalist and police circles.

Board houses will need some protection internally to stop bullets.
    Yet log homes are the way forward for this, but will logs actually stop bullets?

Here are the results using logs of varying thicknesses!

Next Test!

Next One Is In!

Well that's the testing over for now.

The results are interesting to say the least. If you are using most types of softwood, there is a good chance of anything above .22LR blowing through single log thicknesses up to 10 inches. However, with hardwoods and larchwood the difference was astounding...

For those old-schoolers rocking a .38 Special. There's bonus one for you too.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Indeed a lot depends on the projectile.

A .50 cal would be no contest. Likewise 37mm chaingun ammo.

I recall from my distant past cutting a 12" tree down with an AK.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I have shot a lot of bullets into wood over the years a good piece of oak well stop most handgun bullets in inches.

When you start increasing velocity into rifle territory and with tough bullets it takes more and more wood.

How much depends on what type of wood and what caliber, bullet construction and velocity.

Too many variables to have a hard and fast rule.

But I sure wouldn't mind a 24 inch oak to hide behind if I was getting shot at by most standard firearms.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Most rifles will bust through most common construction materials, including brick, and cinder block. Plywood outer sheathing, and drywall might as well not be there.

One reason I know that without building a sandbag home, chances of stopping government are next to nil if it came to that. While sandbags, and sand are not expensive the double wall construction for inner, and outer walls would drive up the cost a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    "Well.... If you take my hat. Decide to wear my hat. Its in your possession ."

"I call popo say "he has my hat i left it at his house". They go talk to you. You say its yours. Sounds like a civil court matter."

"Now I instead say he robbed me... Well popo done go and cuff you up I keep hat or it goes to evidence...you go to court I testify you done did rob me. You now have to prove you didn't...."

www.monolithic.com
    Who cares about bullet when you have to worry about the energy bill, the wild fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, and what not
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

My home is half-log sided, but surrounded by a mote five miles wide minimum, nestled up to the Niagara Escarpment that falls four feet from the back of the house, and towers thirty feet above. And surrounded by sympathetic friends.

A common traditional building style here are reconstructed Icelandic-log homes. Full size squared-log homes deconstructed in Iceland and reconstructed here. The logs are 10" - 15" thick and chinked with mortar.

Yes, there are lots of vinyl sided balloons. We have ~2,000 electric meters, 700 population, and our major crime is underage drinking.

There is more to security than a fortress. Zillow 1541 Old West Harbor Road 54246
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-19-2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

here i thought the infamous McBeth was on hiatus!

freedom man is right, when your home, your business, your community, is completely under water like SC was last year and now rural eastern NC is suffering and those businessmen & SES citizens have lost everything, including hope in a lot of cases, who really cares if your home can survive bullets.

some in this part of the country would like to have a home.

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    www.monolithic.com
    Who cares about bullet when you have to worry about the energy bill, the wild fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, and what not
    Depends on where a person lives. If a person or their family lives in an area of frequent gunfire it is very important. But then most of those people have little choice where they live. One thing about natural disasters these days is they are mostly predictable, and one can remove themselves from the danger. But the weatherman rarely reports on the coming approach of a drive by.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-19-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    "Well.... If you take my hat. Decide to wear my hat. Its in your possession ."

"I call popo say "he has my hat i left it at his house". They go talk to you. You say its yours. Sounds like a civil court matter."

"Now I instead say he robbed me... Well popo done go and cuff you up I keep hat or it goes to evidence...you go to court I testify you done did rob me. You now have to prove you didn't...."

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Depends on where a person lives. If a person or their family lives in an area of frequent gunfire it is very important. But then most of those people have little choice where they live. One thing about natural disasters these days is they are mostly predictable, and one can remove themselves from the danger. But the weatherman rarely reports on the coming approach of a drive by.

Weatherman completely blew predicting the path of Matthew much to the chagrin of east coast citizens ~ again! or the officials in Raleigh open the dam w/o regard to the significant consequences down stream or the individual completely failed to fix his dam...

being forced to abandon all your worldly possessions and being able to return to anything of substance are separate considerations against random drive by shootings in those communities where they occur...let's see those areas are called the drug, gang, etc., infested parts of town are they not?

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

My house is not, but I regularly patrol outside of it to deter would be's.

Last edited by Alleged Gunman; 10-19-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    WW
    That house I linked to is virtually bullet proof.

A bunker buster can still put a hole in it and kill everyone in side but the structure will still stand.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    WW
    That house I linked to is virtually bullet proof.

A bunker buster can still put a hole in it and kill everyone in side but the structure will still stand.
    Foam? I don't think so. From the URL above: "Construction of Curlew Keep began with its Airform inflation and foam spraying in December 2001."

Near Charleston, SC is the similar Eye of the Storm.
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

I always like the methodology that these guys used to test for the penetration of various rounds through different materials.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...l-box-o-truth/

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Foam? I don't think so. From the URL above: "Construction of Curlew Keep began with its Airform inflation and foam spraying in December 2001."

Shotcrete, it helps to learn a bit before posting out of context information.

From the outside in on basic construction; airform, foam, rebar, and then shotcrete.

http://www.monolithic.org/domes/photos

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 10-20-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

I recall the carp that the owner went through to get that house built...

https://www.google.com/search?q=hurr...tqEfAYsHaYe3yJ

The other end of the island had one more amenable to the locals...it too is pictured.

...though, asking my cousin, Sullivan's is not "near" Charleston...tis the other way round...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare