• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Your Home Bulletproof?

Roving Buzz

Well this is something often discussed in firearms groups, survivalist and police circles.

[video=youtube;Ad9UtEg3EQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9UtEg3EQ4[/video]

Roving Buzz

Board houses will need some protection internally to stop bullets.
Yet log homes are the way forward for this, but will logs actually stop bullets?

Here are the results using logs of varying thicknesses!

[video=youtube;xe5yCoBJwLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe5yCoBJwLw[/video]

Roving Buzz

Well that's the testing over for now.

The results are interesting to say the least. If you are using most types of softwood, there is a good chance of anything above .22LR blowing through single log thicknesses up to 10 inches. However, with hardwoods and larchwood the difference was astounding...

For those old-schoolers rocking a .38 Special. There's bonus one for you too. :)

[video=youtube;MvQB1ETPntU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvQB1ETPntU[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed a lot depends on the projectile.

A .50 cal would be no contest. Likewise 37mm chaingun ammo.

I recall from my distant past cutting a 12" tree down with an AK.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have shot a lot of bullets into wood over the years a good piece of oak well stop most handgun bullets in inches.

When you start increasing velocity into rifle territory and with tough bullets it takes more and more wood.

How much depends on what type of wood and what caliber, bullet construction and velocity.

Too many variables to have a hard and fast rule.

But I sure wouldn't mind a 24 inch oak to hide behind if I was getting shot at by most standard firearms.

WalkingWolf

Most rifles will bust through most common construction materials, including brick, and cinder block. Plywood outer sheathing, and drywall might as well not be there.

One reason I know that without building a sandbag home, chances of stopping government are next to nil if it came to that. While sandbags, and sand are not expensive the double wall construction for inner, and outer walls would drive up the cost a bit.

solus

here i thought the infamous McBeth was on hiatus!

freedom man is right, when your home, your business, your community, is completely under water like SC was last year and now rural eastern NC is suffering and those businessmen & SES citizens have lost everything, including hope in a lot of cases, who really cares if your home can survive bullets.

some in this part of the country would like to have a home.

ipse

WalkingWolf

www.monolithic.com
Who cares about bullet when you have to worry about the energy bill, the wild fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, and what not

Depends on where a person lives. If a person or their family lives in an area of frequent gunfire it is very important. But then most of those people have little choice where they live. One thing about natural disasters these days is they are mostly predictable, and one can remove themselves from the danger. But the weatherman rarely reports on the coming approach of a drive by.

Last edited:

solus

Depends on where a person lives. If a person or their family lives in an area of frequent gunfire it is very important. But then most of those people have little choice where they live. One thing about natural disasters these days is they are mostly predictable, and one can remove themselves from the danger. But the weatherman rarely reports on the coming approach of a drive by.

Weatherman completely blew predicting the path of Matthew much to the chagrin of east coast citizens ~ again! or the officials in Raleigh open the dam w/o regard to the significant consequences down stream or the individual completely failed to fix his dam...

being forced to abandon all your worldly possessions and being able to return to anything of substance are separate considerations against random drive by shootings in those communities where they occur...let's see those areas are called the drug, gang, etc., infested parts of town are they not?

ipse

Alleged Gunman

My house is not, but I regularly patrol outside of it to deter would be's.

house0709_1.jpg

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

WW
That house I linked to is virtually bullet proof.

A bunker buster can still put a hole in it and kill everyone in side but the structure will still stand.

Freedom1Man

Foam? I don't think so. From the URL above: "Construction of Curlew Keep began with its Airform inflation and foam spraying in December 2001."

Near Charleston, SC is the similar Eye of the Storm.
Shotcrete, it helps to learn a bit before posting out of context information.

From the outside in on basic construction; airform, foam, rebar, and then shotcrete.

http://www.monolithic.org/domes/photos

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OC for ME

Foam? I don't think so. From the URL above: "Construction of Curlew Keep began with its Airform inflation and foam spraying in December 2001."

Near Charleston, SC is the similar Eye of the Storm.
I recall the carp that the owner went through to get that house built...

https://www.google.com/search?q=hur...CjYTwdBGUiyEbhCxdeyoSCaiGy0YpCitqEfAYsHaYe3yJ

The other end of the island had one more amenable to the locals...it too is pictured.

...though, asking my cousin, Sullivan's is not "near" Charleston...tis the other way round...;)