• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Island County Sheriff was Inside Mall During Shooting - Without a Gun

Brian D.

Thanks for posting this, certainly makes for a good discussion topic. I don't know enough about the laws of your state to comment about why the sheriff would come to such a conclusion.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having know and worked with many law enforcement administrative types they are normally the worse gun people in the department.

There are exceptions but they are rare.

Every time I ran a range day I would go out of the way to invite any member of rank in my department that I ran into, to come out and shoot with us.

Unless they were firearm enthusiasts before hand they even became less involved with firearms after they gained rank.

They would all say I have other matters pending then take time to go to the range.

Most would shoot only the minimum necessary and a lot would find a way to weasel out of that also.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Having know and worked with many law enforcement administrative types they are normally the worse gun people in the department.

There are exceptions but they are rare.

Every time I ran a range day I would go out of the way to invite any member of rank in my department that I ran into, to come out and shoot with us.

Unless they were firearm enthusiasts before hand they even became less involved with firearms after they gained rank.

They would all say I have other matters pending then take time to go to the range.

Most would shoot only the minimum necessary and a lot would find a way to weasel out of that also.
...code for...does not advance my career.

Poor poor pitiful me the goode sheriff bemoans...drp!

solus

interesting to note...the sheriff's true conefession of,

'OMG, I forgot my gun while in the mall during a shooting event' almost a month after the incident article raises the specter of the point of the article...

a. sheriff up for re-election?
b. slow news for komo?
c. had his duty firearm but...

ipse

alternately who cares... especially since the sheriff didn't investigate as trained and booked outside to safety, then went home...did he id himself as a chief law enforcement agent to responding officers?

badger54

Well....this is my thought on it. Cascade Mall is a posted no guns zone. I don't believe that police officers - on duty or not - should have special privileges of carrying firearms where others are desired to not be armed or legally not able to be. To me, the sheriff did nothing more than comply with the no guns stickers posted on the doors.

Good point, I know Westfield malls state no firearms except law enforcement (on or off duty) not sure what Macerich or whoever runs cascade malls policy is, but on another note I've heard of cops in this state being prosecuted for not acting (not even calling 911) when they witnessed a violent felony taking place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Maverick9

IDK beans about this but it's interesting he said 'I _forgot_' my handgun, not, 'I don't carry off duty'.

Better to say nothing, than, well, you know.