• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Permit? Is there one and how do I get one?

SpookyCitrus

Hello my name is Aidan, I live in St. George Utah I recently was given a handgun as a moving out present from my grandfather I'm almost 19 years old and have had handgun and rifle training as well as have taken hunter safety, and have grown up around firearms and hunted since I was about 9. I recently read up on open carry laws and found out the legal minimum age is 18. I have all the rules down pat and was just wondering how to get the Permit for open carry on the site it says the minimum OC age is 18(with valid permit). I searched all over the internet and for the life of me couldn't find how to get an open carry permit, and was wondering if anyone on here could help me out. Every time I search for an open carry permit it only pops up with Concealed carry permits, so I've been pretty confused. Is it just like getting a Concealed where you have to go to a local gunshop/office that is authorized to deal in them or is it something I have to get through the city?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO.

You couldn't find a cite for an open carry permit because there is no such thing in Utah. What is meant by "permit" is the concealed carry permit.

"Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded."
http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-t-z/utah/

http://www.opencarry.org/maps/map-open-carry-of-a-properly-holstered-loaded-handgun/