• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NICS procedural review processing change

solus

NICS Announces Temporary Processing Change
FBI NICS has announced a temporary change in its processing procedure to be effective Wednesday, Oct. 26. The announcement follows:

You may recall, on Friday, October 21, 2016, notification was sent out by the FBI NICS Section regarding a temporary processing change for transactions initiated on Saturday, October 22, 2016. In summary, all transactions initiated through the FBI’s Contracted Call Centers that required an additional review based upon a match to one of the databases searched by the NICS were immediately placed into a delay status. The caller was transferred to a prerecorded message instead of being transferred to the FBI for further review.

In an effort to ascertain whether the revised processing will allow the FBI NICS Section to process transactions in a more efficient manner, the aforementioned temporary processing change will be implemented once again on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.

Please be aware, transactions initiated via the NICS E-Check will continue to be processed as normal. We thank you for your patience and support during this process.

NICS Business Relations Team unquote

NICS' perception of temporary, seems to indicate the change could be Incorporated into there permanent policy...

ipse

solus

quote:
New NICS presents numerous opportunities for the FBI to enhance operational efficiencies. On October 27, 2016, the NICS Section will be implementing an automated feature that will allow the system to return a deny response on FBI-initiated transactions based upon exact matches to the name and date of birth fields on the NICS Index record without having an employee manually review. The NICS Index contains information provided by local, state, tribal, and federal agencies of persons prohibited from receiving firearms under federal or state law. The NICS Index contains prohibiting information which may not be found in the NCIC or the III allowing an individual to be denied without further research.

This means some transactions that would normally be forwarded for further review can quickly be resolved allowing FBI staff to move on to other transactions. The FBI will continue to identify and implement features such as this so that we can continually work to improve our processing times and responsiveness to NICS transactions.

Thank You

NICS Business Relations Team

unquote

ipse

beebobby

I don't know if they use the same system, but it took 60 days to process my TSA Precheck background check when they advertise 30 days.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
quote:
New NICS presents numerous opportunities for the FBI to enhance operational efficiencies. On October 27, 2016, the NICS Section will be implementing an automated feature that will allow the system to return a deny response on FBI-initiated transactions based upon exact matches to the name and date of birth fields on the NICS Index record without having an employee manually review. The NICS Index contains information provided by local, state, tribal, and federal agencies of persons prohibited from receiving firearms under federal or state law. The NICS Index contains prohibiting information which may not be found in the NCIC or the III allowing an individual to be denied without further research.

This means some transactions that would normally be forwarded for further review can quickly be resolved allowing FBI staff to move on to other transactions. The FBI will continue to identify and implement features such as this so that we can continually work to improve our processing times and responsiveness to NICS transactions. ...
Good to see.

Maybe there was more than one person who bitterly complained to their Congress-critter about being delayed recently whilst attempting to purchase a [strike]post-1984 fully automatic quad-mounted AA gun[/strike] handgun.

(see for yourself how many people named "Jeffry K. Smith" there are in the United States)

Last edited:

solus

Good to see.

Maybe there was more than one person who bitterly complained to their Congress-critter about being delayed recently whilst attempting to purchase a [strike]post-1984 fully automatic quad-mounted AA gun[/strike] handgun.

(see for yourself how many people named "Jeffry K. Smith" there are in the United States)

and here society was assured the mold was broken after you were born...:uhoh:

ipse

solus

'Temporary' change implemented to permenent

quote:

Good Afternoon,

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 and Wednesday, October 26, 2016, the FBI NICS Section initiated a temporary processing change to assess whether operational efficiencies could be gained. On these dates, transactions initiated through the NICS contracted call centers that would have normally been transferred to the FBI staff for further review were automatically delayed. Rather than having FFLs on hold for extended periods of time during the transfer process, the FBI staff normally scheduled to respond to telephone inquiries were dedicated to the delay queue and worked to quickly resolve all transactions that would have been proceeded or denied during the transfer process. It was thought that by making this change, transactions that would be resolved while on the phone could be assessed and closed out even faster. By not having FBI staff and FFLs tied to the telephone, it was thought this change in process could prove mutually beneficial for all since we know that it takes us longer to process transactions initiated by the telephone. The FBI NICS Section has studied the results of this processing change and we would like to thank you for your patience while we tested this idea. We listened to those that took the time to email feedback and understand the process change performed on Saturday was not productive for your business. We did see benefits of this processing change when implemented during the week as our workload proved to be more manageable and we were able to close-out more transactions using this method. As a result, the FBI will be automatically delaying transactions requiring further review for transactions initiated via the call centers on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, starting next week November 1-2, 2016, and continuing through the remainder of the calendar year. Please note there will be no processing changes for those transactions initiated via the NICS E-Check as that process is web-based with no telephone interaction.

Thank you,
The NICS Business Relations Team

unquote

this provides my sentiments far better than i can articulate them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n05CPck97ao

solus

What did you quote? You copied and pasted, but didn't cite a link other than a video.

KB, since the main information of the post did not express my words, sentiments, etc., but rather another's, The NICS Business Relations Team, and to assure there would not be any contexual confusion whatsoever over their communique's message about their implementation of their temporary stopping the telephonically helping 'while citizens wait to clarify their firearm purchase denials' to a permanent policy...i showed the material was quoted by them.

now to clarify my lack of a cite...the last discussion regarding providing cites not associated w/judicial discussion (as mandated by forum policy) ended with edicts from august (?) forum members from Utah & Wisconsin, yes i believe they were the main perpetrators ~ especially one who consistently refused to use them to substantiate their material they presented, that cites were not needed ~ therefore, being a team player that some wish me to be, i didn't!

as stated in the link i provided...'the wheel of the....'

ipse