• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla - You've been chopped!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Taking a page from the TV show "Chopped," looks like the Florida electorate finally got tired of Florida State Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla blocking prog-gun legislation in their state!

http://www.guns.com/2016/11/10/flor...n-bills-loses-seat-gives-hope-to-2a-advocates

SNIP

Florida Republican who killed pro-gun bills loses seat, gives hope to 2A advocates

A powerful south Florida state senator who repeatedly sidelined popular gun rights legislation lost his seat Tuesday, opening the door for campus carry and open carry in the Sunshine State.

Florida State Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, chairs the Senate Criminal Justice Committee and in 2015 refused to hold hearings on a bill to allow legal concealed carry on public colleges and universities.

Diaz de la Portilla was also a fly in the ointment when it came to derailing an emergency concealed carry bill the year before and in 2016 was key in killing bills on campus carry and open carry, refusing to even meet with advocates.

However, even though he was supported by a $85,000 ad campaign paid for by Everytown, state Rep. Jose Javier Rodriguez, a Democrat, beat Diaz de la Portilla in this week’s election.

While the loss of his seat was balanced out in the Senate by Democratic Sen. Dwight Bullard’s defeat by Republican Rep. Frank Artiles, sustaining the GOP with a 25-15 majority in the chamber, gun rights advocates argue the vanquished lawmaker simply reaped what he sowed.

. . .

sniper1

Let's be honest. He didn't lose because voters got sick of him. He lost because of redrawing the district lines, just as David Jolly lost his US House seat to Crist.

That said, I'm glad he's out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Taking a page from the TV show "Chopped," looks like the Florida electorate finally got tired of Florida State Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla blocking prog-gun legislation in their state!

http://www.guns.com/2016/11/10/flor...n-bills-loses-seat-gives-hope-to-2a-advocates

SNIP

Florida Republican who killed pro-gun bills loses seat, gives hope to 2A advocates

A powerful south Florida state senator who repeatedly sidelined popular gun rights legislation lost his seat Tuesday, opening the door for campus carry and open carry in the Sunshine State.

Florida State Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, chairs the Senate Criminal Justice Committee and in 2015 refused to hold hearings on a bill to allow legal concealed carry on public colleges and universities.

Diaz de la Portilla was also a fly in the ointment when it came to derailing an emergency concealed carry bill the year before and in 2016 was key in killing bills on campus carry and open carry, refusing to even meet with advocates.

However, even though he was supported by a $85,000 ad campaign paid for by Everytown, state Rep. Jose Javier Rodriguez, a Democrat, beat Diaz de la Portilla in this week’s election.

While the loss of his seat was balanced out in the Senate by Democratic Sen. Dwight Bullard’s defeat by Republican Rep. Frank Artiles, sustaining the GOP with a 25-15 majority in the chamber, gun rights advocates argue the vanquished lawmaker simply reaped what he sowed.

. . .

De La Portilla is in my district. I split my ticket, held my nose, and voted for Rodriguez just to try and ensure that De La Portilla would be out of there. It was not an easy choice, but Rodriguez won't be in the majority and Portilla has been so bad for OC that I made sure to vote and spread the word.

Portilla's name in these parts is synonymous with nepotism and do-nothing politics. It wasn't a tough sell with my gun friends. For years, they'd been getting elected on the backs of Cuban voters (I'm Cuban, btw), because of their dynastic (in these parts) names. We now still have a friendly majority and someone in the leadership who will actually push OC. Let's hope this is the shot (no pun intended) we've been looking for.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Let's be honest. He didn't lose because voters got sick of him. He lost because of redrawing the district lines, just as David Jolly lost his US House seat to Crist.

That said, I'm glad he's out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voters got sick of 'im. Trust me. He's gone year after year riding on his family name.

davidmcbeth

Banned
SNIP

refusing to even meet with advocates.

. . .

You need to talk to my elected officials as to what happens when they refuse to talk to me. They get a nice visit from me at their home.

They then either a) talk to me then or b) agree to an appointment Either way, I get them discussing the issue with me on the record.

These "advocates" just ask for an appt., get turned down, and then just say "oh well!" ? ROFL Rookies.

Last edited: