• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizen protects deputy - kills suspect

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Passerby shoots, kills suspect fighting deputy on I-75

"ESTERO, Fla. — A passerby shot and killed a person who was fighting with a Lee County Sheriff’s Office deputy on Interstate 75 Monday morning.

Deputy First Class Dean Bardes, a 12-year-veteran, was working a crash at mile marker 126 when the suspect came upon him, causing Bardes to pursue him at high speeds, according to multiple sources.

Bardes and the suspect exited their vehicles at the Corkscrew Road exit and a fight started, sources said. The suspect was armed, Bardes told his supervisors, according to sources."

http://www.winknews.com/2016/11/14/police-activity-blocks-i-75-sb-at-exit-123/

http://www.winknews.com/2016/11/15/just-in-suspect-named-in-fatal-i-75-deputy-involved-incident/

davidmcbeth

Banned
How did the guy know that the person he shot was not an undercover cop or FBI not in uniform arresting the uniformed policeman?

These are the perils or such things.

WalkingWolf

How did the guy know that the person he shot was not an undercover cop or FBI not in uniform arresting the uniformed policeman?

He didn't but he was still justified under the law to intervene. Nothing in the world is perfect.

utbagpiper

Banned

There are perils to most things. Intervening with deadly force in someone else's fight is fraught with peril.

That said, I presume (and heaven forbid ever need to, will argue in court) that a professional, highly trained peace officer will conduct himself in a professional manner while interacting with me or other members of the public in an official capacity.

I've read that NYC detectives take great pride in comporting themselves in such a way that they don't generally need to flash their badge to gain access to crime scenes or have the cooperation of other officers when arriving after uniformed officers have secured the site.

The moment an undercover agent switches from being undercover to effecting an arrest, I expect he will switch from his undercover persona to his professional peace officer persona.

Likewise, if a person in uniform ever comports himself significantly below what should be the minimum standard for a highly trained, professional peace officer, I may have to conclude I am dealing with a criminal impersonating an officer rather than an actual officer. I hope and pray such a situation never arises, and that if it does, it doesn't come close to requiring physical resistance. But neither do I intend for myself or a loved one to be easily victimized simply because someone chooses to obtain a police uniform before starting their night of crime.

Those who would expect the deference and respect due the position of peace officer, must comport themselves as such. Those whose conduct falls well below some reasonable expectation for what peace officer would do, risk losing not only respect and deference, but also compliance, regardless of how they are dressed.

In a world of undercover cops and criminals impersonating cops, what other standard can a prudent citizen employ?

Charles

countryclubjoe

There are perils to most things. Intervening with deadly force in someone else's fight is fraught with peril.

That said, I presume (and heaven forbid ever need to, will argue in court) that a professional, highly trained peace officer will conduct himself in a professional manner while interacting with me or other members of the public in an official capacity.

I've read that NYC detectives take great pride in comporting themselves in such a way that they don't generally need to flash their badge to gain access to crime scenes or have the cooperation of other officers when arriving after uniformed officers have secured the site.

The moment an undercover agent switches from being undercover to effecting an arrest, I expect he will switch from his undercover persona to his professional peace officer persona.

Likewise, if a person in uniform ever comports himself significantly below what should be the minimum standard for a highly trained, professional peace officer, I may have to conclude I am dealing with a criminal impersonating an officer rather than an actual officer. I hope and pray such a situation never arises, and that if it does, it doesn't come close to requiring physical resistance. But neither do I intend for myself or a loved one to be easily victimized simply because someone chooses to obtain a police uniform before starting their night of crime.

Those who would expect the deference and respect due the position of peace officer, must comport themselves as such. Those whose conduct falls well below some reasonable expectation for what peace officer would do, risk losing not only respect and deference, but also compliance, regardless of how they are dressed.

In a world of undercover cops and criminals impersonating cops, what other standard can a prudent citizen employ?

Charles

There are over 34,000 police officers in New York City, I would bet that NONE of them consider themselves " Peace Officers".. Just saying.

My .02

countryclubjoe

Just saying what, exactly? As opposed to what else?

And what .02 do you speak of? (Answers are not correct without units.)

Just saying that no police officer in NY or any other big city considers themselves "peace officers".. Also I am certain that you knew what I was implying and that Sir is indeed my opinion.

Va_Nemo

The first question in any case like this is-- how bad did the dead person need killing. The answer to that question determines how everything following it should occur.

In this case the answer to the important question is real bad. So he got killed. Nuff said. Case closed.

Nemo

utbagpiper

Banned
Just saying that no police officer in NY or any other big city considers themselves "peace officers".. Also I am certain that you knew what I was implying and that Sir is indeed my opinion.

You explicitly asserted that no police officer in NY considers himself a peace officer. What is beyond that to imply? What do you mean to suggest by asserting that no big city police officer considers himself a peace officer? (As assertion I believe is false as I believe I could find a fair number of big city police officers who do consider themselves peace officers.)

Were I to infer something, you might take offense or claim I was putting words in your mouth.

Perhaps one ought to either be a bit more explicit, or else leave the implications and innuendo entirely un-written so as to avoid incorrect and potentially offensive inferences from the reader. No?

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

You explicitly asserted that no police officer in NY considers himself a peace officer. What is beyond that to imply? What do you mean to suggest by asserting that no big city police officer considers himself a peace officer? (As assertion I believe is false as I believe I could find a fair number of big city police officers who do consider themselves peace officers.)

Were I to infer something, you might take offense or claim I was putting words in your mouth.

Perhaps one ought to either be a bit more explicit, or else leave the implications and innuendo entirely un-written so as to avoid incorrect and potentially offensive inferences from the reader. No?

Charles, have you ever heard a peace officer, say, FREEZE Peace Officer? Neither have I..
I appreciate your opinion, we should probably move forward and debate more important issues.. Always a pleasure opining with you Sir!
Regards
CCJ

solus

Just saying what, exactly? As opposed to what else?

And what .02 do you speak of? (Answers are not correct without units.)

when you fail to attribute the whole sentence or commentary then have the audacity to chastise an individual cuz you got lost doesn't seen quite fair, now does it?

ipse

Last edited:

hammer6

has anyone harped on the fact that this guy put his gun on the ground and walked away, leaving his gun unprotected?

OC for ME

Either the uniformed cop is a genuine cop or a well accoutrement impostor. Either the recently assumed room temperature citizen was a criminal or a undercover cop. Believe what you will, in that specific incident it seems that the hero citizen did as the uniformed cop ordered/pleaded for him to do. Sounds like a simple decision for that fella...and likely me as well.

As to dropping his firearm, only he can answer what motivated him to do so.

WalkingWolf

has anyone harped on the fact that this guy put his gun on the ground and walked away, leaving his gun unprotected?

Well after killing the suspect I would imagine that he was in shock, plus the police officer probably took the gun for evidence after getting up from the road.

hammer6

Well after killing the suspect I would imagine that he was in shock, plus the police officer probably took the gun for evidence after getting up from the road.

as seen in the video, the officer stayed on the ground for the entire time, even after more LEOs arrived.

WalkingWolf

as seen in the video, the officer stayed on the ground for the entire time, even after more LEOs arrived.

Most of the videos I saw showed the deputy up on his knees after the shooting, shortly after the man drops the gun. I have not seen a video of the full time afterwards of the deputy staying on the ground. If you have please put a link.

countryclubjoe

He probably dropped the weapon so that when officers arrived they would not shot him.. Arriving officers may not have known who the bad guys were at that instant..

My .02

utbagpiper

Banned
when you fail to attribute the whole sentence or commentary then have the audacity to chastise an individual cuz you got lost doesn't seen quite fair, now does it?

ipse

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are writing here. And who besides "he himself" would be posting from your account? Is not your closing redundant, at best?