Thread: Citizen protects deputy - kills suspect

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Citizen protects deputy - kills suspect

Passerby shoots, kills suspect fighting deputy on I-75

"ESTERO, Fla. — A passerby shot and killed a person who was fighting with a Lee County Sheriff’s Office deputy on Interstate 75 Monday morning.

Deputy First Class Dean Bardes, a 12-year-veteran, was working a crash at mile marker 126 when the suspect came upon him, causing Bardes to pursue him at high speeds, according to multiple sources.

Bardes and the suspect exited their vehicles at the Corkscrew Road exit and a fight started, sources said. The suspect was armed, Bardes told his supervisors, according to sources."

http://www.winknews.com/2016/11/14/police-activity-blocks-i-75-sb-at-exit-123/

http://www.winknews.com/2016/11/15/j...lved-incident/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    How did the guy know that the person he shot was not an undercover cop or FBI not in uniform arresting the uniformed policeman?

These are the perils or such things.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    How did the guy know that the person he shot was not an undercover cop or FBI not in uniform arresting the uniformed policeman?

He didn't but he was still justified under the law to intervene. Nothing in the world is perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    I never referred to you or anyone else as a shoeshine boy... I simply told you to "go get your shine box'. Not a racial statement whatsoever..-snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    -snip- My offer still stands, if you want to do an honest days work, I will send you my antique shine box..

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

There are perils to most things. Intervening with deadly force in someone else's fight is fraught with peril.

That said, I presume (and heaven forbid ever need to, will argue in court) that a professional, highly trained peace officer will conduct himself in a professional manner while interacting with me or other members of the public in an official capacity.

I've read that NYC detectives take great pride in comporting themselves in such a way that they don't generally need to flash their badge to gain access to crime scenes or have the cooperation of other officers when arriving after uniformed officers have secured the site.

The moment an undercover agent switches from being undercover to effecting an arrest, I expect he will switch from his undercover persona to his professional peace officer persona.

Likewise, if a person in uniform ever comports himself significantly below what should be the minimum standard for a highly trained, professional peace officer, I may have to conclude I am dealing with a criminal impersonating an officer rather than an actual officer. I hope and pray such a situation never arises, and that if it does, it doesn't come close to requiring physical resistance. But neither do I intend for myself or a loved one to be easily victimized simply because someone chooses to obtain a police uniform before starting their night of crime.

Those who would expect the deference and respect due the position of peace officer, must comport themselves as such. Those whose conduct falls well below some reasonable expectation for what peace officer would do, risk losing not only respect and deference, but also compliance, regardless of how they are dressed.

In a world of undercover cops and criminals impersonating cops, what other standard can a prudent citizen employ?

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.