• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental discharge at fair grounds gun show

Va_Nemo

Sorry gents, I hold my original view based on explanation. No such thing as accidental discharge. Please continue your attempts to persuade me otherwise.

A gun discharges because the A, it has a real bullet in the chamber and B, the operating mechanism to strike the primer operates.

Bullets do not grow in chambers and I am completely unaware of a method for an operating mechanism to activate to start the hammer to fall or striker to mover forward on its own. Those 2 do not go on their own.

2 choices, intentional or negligent. No other option.

Nemo

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry gents, I hold my original view based on explanation. No such thing as accidental discharge. Please continue your attempts to persuade me otherwise.

A gun discharges because the A, it has a real bullet in the chamber and B, the operating mechanism to strike the primer operates.

Bullets do not grow in chambers and I am completely unaware of a method for an operating mechanism to activate to start the hammer to fall or striker to mover forward on its own. Those 2 do not go on their own.

Nemo
What would you consider mechanical failure/breakage? Intentional or negligent on the part of the shooter?

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%204.htm

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 1.htm

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 3.htm

Last edited:

solus

Nemo

so the firearm manufacturer's recall, oh let's see 2013ish, where the firearm fired with safety on, traced to the malfunctioning safety, doesnt fit into your equation?

ipse

Va_Nemo

Nope, all still negligent.

Authority #1 cited above

There should be a fiber washer located in the rear hump of the receiver which prohibits the bolt assembly from coming back to the rear of the receiver. This washer has an opening in the center to provide clearance for the rear of the firing pin which is in the center of the bolt assembly which protrudes approximately 1/8 of an inch beyond the rear. When the washer is removed or missing and the bolt is jammed into the rear of the receiver the shotgun could unintentionally discharge.

Underline added by me. Part missing = negligence

Warning: The Action Arms Ltd. - UZI model A carbine differs from many other firearms in that under some circumstances, it can be fired with the bolt open or partially open by pulling the trigger.
Negligence-- keep fingers off the trigger.

Deals with BB Guns but similar situation.
It has been determined that the sear or disconnect may break on the Legacy semiautomatic rifles which may permit the gun to discharge more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.
I really think it did not go on the first trigger pull so Failure to inspect and maintain = negligence

Yes gents, I absoultely subscribe to the belief that if a gun fires it is either intentional or negligent. With guns there are no accidents. Thats how I make sure none of mine ever have or will.

Nemo

solus

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/Firearm Recall Index.htm
http://www.vpc.org/regulating-the-gun-industry/gun-product-safety-notices/

ya, ya, ya...mechanical devices, designed, carefully prototype built and proof of concept tested, then product moved to mass production and x out of z arbitrarily and limited situationally quality tested, and then distributed to FFLs for consumers. while olde cites referenced, they show the full breadth of recalls.

ruger was smarter and recently scrapped the entire product line when it was discerned there were significant production abnormalities ~ prior to and consumers having accidential/negligence discharges!

ipse

OC for ME

[FONT=&quot]... and he also handed her [/FONT]a loaded gun[FONT=&quot] he already had in the truck. As Judd was looking at the guns, [/FONT]she accidentally fired on[FONT=&quot]e, and the bullet struck Alyssa Lewis Glosson, 29, in the back of the head while she was sitting in the truck's passenger seat.[/FONT]
...I stand by my assertion...

There was no accident here!

CDT COX

Failed plan for the girlfriend to "accidentally" take out the wife?