Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Legislative Session

2017 Legislative Session

Committee assignments have been made in the Senate.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/African...adership-posts

Senate Minority Leader Oscar Braynon, D-Miami Gardens, indicated he believed there is still a chance to defeat the legislation.

"I believe one of the reasons that those bills died was not just because that chairman (Diaz de la Portilla) held back the bills," Braynon said. "I think the Senate was probably not willing to hear those bills. The same will probably be true this year."

Our problems with the chair of the Judiciary Committee are over but there is still stealth resistance to OC by some senate Republicans. Known Republican opponents are Latvala and Perry and likely Garcia. In addition, a weakly pro gun Democrat chairs the Criminal Justice committee. The senate President is pro gun but the CJ chair will be very much influenced by Bloomberg bucks and fellow Democrap peer pressure.

House committee assignements have not yet been made.
    Last edited by 77zach; 11-30-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I emailed the Senate President asking why he has doomed pro gun bills by appointing a democrat the chair of the criminal justice committee. I will post his reply if I receive one. If I don't receive one I'll call his office.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-05-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

HB 6005 has been filed, a campus carry bill, a simple repealer.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...x?BillId=56699
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-07-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    HB 6005 has been filed, a campus carry bill, a simple repealer.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...x?BillId=56699
    and HB 6001, airport terminal carry

Open carry bill filed

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil.../?Tab=BillText

OC bill filed by senator Steube. The bill also eliminates fish in a barrel zones across the board. Except, strangely enough, in bars.....like where the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando happened.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

OC bill filed by senator Steube. The bill also eliminates fish in a barrel zones across the board. Except, strangely enough, in bars.....like where the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando happened.
    And schools are still GFZs.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    And schools are still GFZs.
    Nope, they're freed up from preschool through college. Rest assured though, if this bill passes that part will be taken out. We can't have psychotic spree killers meeting armed resistance.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.

I emailed the Senate President asking why he has doomed pro gun bills by appointing a democrat the chair of the criminal justice committee. I will post his reply if I receive one. If I don't receive one I'll call his office.

What shade of blue have you reached while waiting? Sorry, couldn't resist. Any luck with the new prez?
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand

"free people ought...to be armed." In so doing we grasp the larger lesson that the ability to defend ourselves is part and parcel to our freedom. George Washington , January 7, 1790

Quote Originally Posted by 2OLD2W8 View Post
    What shade of blue have you reached while waiting? Sorry, couldn't resist. Any luck with the new prez?
    An aide said they (Bracy and the President) share some legislative priorities, specifically juvenile sentencing reforms. I had the feeling Bracy will play ball and let the bill be heard, and if it is, it will pass due to a strong majority on pro gunners on that committee. Judiciary I don't know how they'll get around one of the rhinos.

Committee assignments are out in the house, we "should" be ok there.

i didn't realize "bars" were in the list of prohibited places?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    SNIP
    790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
    (12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:

12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

P.S.

I drink alone
    Last edited by 2OLD2W8; 12-14-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand

"free people ought...to be armed." In so doing we grasp the larger lesson that the ability to defend ourselves is part and parcel to our freedom. George Washington , January 7, 1790

There has been a lot of discussion about it here and elsewhere, but no one knows for sure what the phrase "that portion" means. In the most broad interpretation it would mean table tops some distance from the actual bar top, like the 'first come, first serve' areas at chains like Outback, for example. It could also mean you cannot even step foot into a true "bar". However, maybe it just means you cannot go to the bar where drinks are actually being dispensed, where the bartender is, and that's the way I read it.

So, I've carried in bars, I just sit away from the actual bar. If we get OC, I will CC if I ever go to a bar again (only been to a few in my life) to err on the side of caution and not draw attention to myself. Steube may have felt the same way and figured it wasn't worth the fight over removing the language.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-14-2016 at 10:08 AM.

also what sucks is, stop and identify will be legal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it sucks. Turn the table. Take the battle to them with incremental steps..Tit for Tat..

How so? I know the law says, "upon demand...", but the way I understand the 4th Amendment is that nothing can be demanded of you (unless it's "leave the area!" in some circumstances) if you're not being detained.

If I confirm I'm not being detained, I just go my own way.

If I'm detained, I do the following:

1. Offer no physical resistance
    2. Verbally not consent to any searches or seizures
    3. Not reach in my pocket for anything (for the safety of myself and the officer)

If the officer then takes my ID and carry license, or worse, arrests me, I sue for a 4th Amendment violation.

This is way I'll handle it if I'm stopped just for carrying openly under the soon to be new law in Florida.

http://pursuitofpatriotism.blogspot.com

Nope, but I'm sure some will try. Carry is no longer the crime, but carrying without a license, at least with concealed carry. There is also case law on this point. They cannot stop you just to see if you have a license.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-14-2016 at 08:59 PM.

SNIP
    They cannot stop you just to see if you have a license.
    Some of our Barneys will ignore the actual law as written. Hell, it's way more fun to enforce personal views and feed the beast.
    Last edited by 2OLD2W8; 12-15-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Whats the chance of Open Option Carry this upcoming year?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D1KarVer View Post
    Whats the chance of Open Option Carry this upcoming year?
    If you haven't bet your lunch money on it passing this year, you should be okay.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If you haven't bet your lunch money on it passing this year, you should be okay.

I bought a very tasty bottle of bourbon, my fingers are crossed.. A positive decision acknowledging and memorializing the founder's 2A "individual right interpretation" will
    necessitate that I empty the bottle!

SB 140 has received its Senate committee assignments: Judiciary, Governmental Oversight and Accountability, Rules.

The bill faces a very steep climb in all committees.

I bought a very tasty bottle of bourbon, my fingers are crossed.. A positive decision acknowledging and memorializing the founder's 2A "individual right interpretation" will
    necessitate that I empty the bottle!
    At least with bourbon it can be used to celebrate or drown ones sorrows.

I prefer not to bet on things I have no control of.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 12-21-2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by phil1979 View Post
    How so? I know the law says, "upon demand...", but the way I understand the 4th Amendment is that nothing can be demanded of you (unless it's "leave the area!" in some circumstances) if you're not being detained.

If I confirm I'm not being detained, I just go my own way.

If I'm detained, I do the following:

1. Offer no physical resistance
    2. Verbally not consent to any searches or seizures
    3. Not reach in my pocket for anything (for the safety of myself and the officer)

If the officer then takes my ID and carry license, or worse, arrests me, I sue for a 4th Amendment violation.

This is way I'll handle it if I'm stopped just for carrying openly under the soon to be new law in Florida.

http://pursuitofpatriotism.blogspot.com

the law states:

" The licensee must carry
    31 the license, together with valid identification, at all times in
    32 which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon
    33 or firearm or openly carrying a handgun and must display both
    34 the license and proper identification upon demand by a law
    35 enforcement officer."

so that means anytime you are openly carrying, and officer has reason to stop you and ask for your license and CWFL, since the law requires you to carry it with you. even though it's just a noncriminal violation and a $25 fine, it's still a legitimate reason for a police officer to stop and ask for ID. with concealed carry it's hard, because unless it becomes visible or you are heavily printing, LEOs have no reason to ask anyone.

the law states:

" The licensee must carry
    31 the license, together with valid identification, at all times in
    32 which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon
    33 or firearm or openly carrying a handgun and must display both
    34 the license and proper identification upon demand by a law
    35 enforcement officer."

so that means anytime you are openly carrying, and officer has reason to stop you and ask for your license and CWFL, since the law requires you to carry it with you. even though it's just a noncriminal violation and a $25 fine, it's still a legitimate reason for a police officer to stop and ask for ID. with concealed carry it's hard, because unless it becomes visible or you are heavily printing, LEOs have no reason to ask anyone.
    It appears that the new bill as proposed leaves F.S. 790.25 (3) (h) intact and will not negatively impact OC while fishing, hunting or camping. I'll stay mum; show the nice policeman my cuban yoyo and be on my merry way.
    Last edited by 2OLD2W8; 12-24-2016 at 11:56 AM.

It appears that the new bill as proposed leaves F.S. 790.25 (3) (h) intact and will not negatively impact OC while fishing, hunting or camping. I'll stay mum; show the nice policeman my cuban yoyo and be on my merry way.
    It's always worked for me over the years.

Most times I never even have to show ID! Kind of strange, but evidently having the "Cuban rig" solves the problem of me open carrying. pretty much everywhere.
    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast