• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2017 Legislative Session

77zach

Committee assignments have been made in the Senate.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/African Americann-names-simpson-others-to-leadership-posts

Senate Minority Leader Oscar Braynon, D-Miami Gardens, indicated he believed there is still a chance to defeat the legislation.

"I believe one of the reasons that those bills died was not just because that chairman (Diaz de la Portilla) held back the bills," Braynon said. "I think the Senate was probably not willing to hear those bills. The same will probably be true this year."

Our problems with the chair of the Judiciary Committee are over but there is still stealth resistance to OC by some senate Republicans. Known Republican opponents are Latvala and Perry and likely Garcia. In addition, a weakly pro gun Democrat chairs the Criminal Justice committee. The senate President is pro gun but the CJ chair will be very much influenced by Bloomberg bucks and fellow Democrap peer pressure.

House committee assignements have not yet been made.

Last edited:

77zach

I emailed the Senate President asking why he has doomed pro gun bills by appointing a democrat the chair of the criminal justice committee. I will post his reply if I receive one. If I don't receive one I'll call his office.

Last edited:

77zach

And schools are still GFZs. :cry:

Nope, they're freed up from preschool through college. Rest assured though, if this bill passes that part will be taken out. We can't have psychotic spree killers meeting armed resistance.

Last edited:

2OLD2W8

I emailed the Senate President asking why he has doomed pro gun bills by appointing a democrat the chair of the criminal justice committee. I will post his reply if I receive one. If I don't receive one I'll call his office.

What shade of blue have you reached while waiting?:uhoh: Sorry, couldn't resist. Any luck with the new prez?

77zach

What shade of blue have you reached while waiting?:uhoh: Sorry, couldn't resist. Any luck with the new prez?

An aide said they (Bracy and the President) share some legislative priorities, specifically juvenile sentencing reforms. I had the feeling Bracy will play ball and let the bill be heard, and if it is, it will pass due to a strong majority on pro gunners on that committee. Judiciary I don't know how they'll get around one of the rhinos.

Committee assignments are out in the house, we "should" be ok there.

2OLD2W8

i didn't realize "bars" were in the list of prohibited places?

SNIP
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:

12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

P.S.

I drink alone

Last edited:

77zach

i didn't realize "bars" were in the list of prohibited places?

There has been a lot of discussion about it here and elsewhere, but no one knows for sure what the phrase "that portion" means. In the most broad interpretation it would mean table tops some distance from the actual bar top, like the 'first come, first serve' areas at chains like Outback, for example. It could also mean you cannot even step foot into a true "bar". However, maybe it just means you cannot go to the bar where drinks are actually being dispensed, where the bartender is, and that's the way I read it.

So, I've carried in bars, I just sit away from the actual bar. If we get OC, I will CC if I ever go to a bar again (only been to a few in my life) to err on the side of caution and not draw attention to myself. Steube may have felt the same way and figured it wasn't worth the fight over removing the language.

Last edited:

phil1979

also what sucks is, stop and identify will be legal.

How so? I know the law says, "upon demand...", but the way I understand the 4th Amendment is that nothing can be demanded of you (unless it's "leave the area!" in some circumstances) if you're not being detained.

If I confirm I'm not being detained, I just go my own way.

If I'm detained, I do the following:

1. Offer no physical resistance
2. Verbally not consent to any searches or seizures
3. Not reach in my pocket for anything (for the safety of myself and the officer)

If the officer then takes my ID and carry license, or worse, arrests me, I sue for a 4th Amendment violation.

This is way I'll handle it if I'm stopped just for carrying openly under the soon to be new law in Florida.

http://pursuitofpatriotism.blogspot.com

77zach

also what sucks is, stop and identify will be legal.

Nope, but I'm sure some will try. Carry is no longer the crime, but carrying without a license, at least with concealed carry. There is also case law on this point. They cannot stop you just to see if you have a license.

Last edited:

2OLD2W8

SNIP
They cannot stop you just to see if you have a license.

Some of our Barneys will ignore the actual law as written. Hell, it's way more fun to enforce personal views and feed the beast. :banghead:

Last edited:

2OLD2W8

If you haven't bet your lunch money on it passing this year, you should be okay.

:lol:
I bought a very tasty bottle of bourbon, my fingers are crossed.. A positive decision acknowledging and memorializing the founder's 2A "individual right interpretation" will
necessitate that I empty the bottle!:p