• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2017 Legislative Session

77zach

SB 140 has received its Senate committee assignments: Judiciary, Governmental Oversight and Accountability, Rules.

The bill faces a very steep climb in all committees.

Firearms Iinstuctor

:lol:
I bought a very tasty bottle of bourbon, my fingers are crossed.. A positive decision acknowledging and memorializing the founder's 2A "individual right interpretation" will
necessitate that I empty the bottle!:p

At least with bourbon it can be used to celebrate or drown ones sorrows.

I prefer not to bet on things I have no control of.

Last edited:

hammer6

How so? I know the law says, "upon demand...", but the way I understand the 4th Amendment is that nothing can be demanded of you (unless it's "leave the area!" in some circumstances) if you're not being detained.

If I confirm I'm not being detained, I just go my own way.

If I'm detained, I do the following:

1. Offer no physical resistance
2. Verbally not consent to any searches or seizures
3. Not reach in my pocket for anything (for the safety of myself and the officer)

If the officer then takes my ID and carry license, or worse, arrests me, I sue for a 4th Amendment violation.

This is way I'll handle it if I'm stopped just for carrying openly under the soon to be new law in Florida.

http://pursuitofpatriotism.blogspot.com

the law states:

" The licensee must carry
31 the license, together with valid identification, at all times in
32 which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon
33 or firearm or openly carrying a handgun and must display both
34 the license and proper identification upon demand by a law
35 enforcement officer."

so that means anytime you are openly carrying, and officer has reason to stop you and ask for your license and CWFL, since the law requires you to carry it with you. even though it's just a noncriminal violation and a $25 fine, it's still a legitimate reason for a police officer to stop and ask for ID. with concealed carry it's hard, because unless it becomes visible or you are heavily printing, LEOs have no reason to ask anyone.

2OLD2W8

the law states:

" The licensee must carry
31 the license, together with valid identification, at all times in
32 which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon
33 or firearm or openly carrying a handgun and must display both
34 the license and proper identification upon demand by a law
35 enforcement officer."

so that means anytime you are openly carrying, and officer has reason to stop you and ask for your license and CWFL, since the law requires you to carry it with you. even though it's just a noncriminal violation and a $25 fine, it's still a legitimate reason for a police officer to stop and ask for ID. with concealed carry it's hard, because unless it becomes visible or you are heavily printing, LEOs have no reason to ask anyone.

It appears that the new bill as proposed leaves F.S. 790.25 (3) (h) intact and will not negatively impact OC while fishing, hunting or camping. I'll stay mum; show the nice policeman my cuban yoyo and be on my merry way.:uhoh:

Last edited:

ADulay

It appears that the new bill as proposed leaves F.S. 790.25 (3) (h) intact and will not negatively impact OC while fishing, hunting or camping. I'll stay mum; show the nice policeman my cuban yoyo and be on my merry way.:uhoh:

It's always worked for me over the years.

Most times I never even have to show ID! Kind of strange, but evidently having the "Cuban rig" solves the problem of me open carrying. pretty much everywhere.
AD

1245A Defender

Well,,,

It's always worked for me over the years.

Most times I never even have to show ID! Kind of strange, but evidently having the "Cuban rig" solves the problem of me open carrying. pretty much everywhere.
AD

Please tell me, and any others that, just dont know,,,
What is a "Cuban Rig"?
I've never heard the term before...

hammer6

right. so your only excuse to carry without ID is if you "are or going to or from fishing", "are or going to and from hunting", or "are or going to or from shooting". so basically, all burden of proof still rests on you, the person "trying to exercise" their right to carry.

Last edited:

solus

right. so your only excuse to carry without ID is if you "are or going to or from fishing", "are or going to and from hunting", or "are or going to or from shooting". so basically, all burden of proof still rests on you, the person exercising their right to carry.

you mean the person telling their side of the story, eh?

ipse

ADulay

Please tell me, and any others that, just dont know,,,
What is a "Cuban Rig"?
I've never heard the term before...

For awhile it was also known as a "survival" rig by the end of the world types. That and the traditional roll of fishing line wrapped around an empty plastic soda bottle.

I thought the Cuban rig was much more classy and it's only $3.00 or so at most fishing stores.

I will say that I have caught and landed a tarpon with my $4.00 rig from the beach on the north side of Boca Grande Pass by the lighthouse.

AD

Firearms Iinstuctor

For awhile it was also known as a "survival" rig by the end of the world types. That and the traditional roll of fishing line wrapped around an empty plastic soda bottle.

I thought the Cuban rig was much more classy and it's only $3.00 or so at most fishing stores.

I will say that I have caught and landed a tarpon with my $4.00 rig from the beach on the north side of Boca Grande Pass by the lighthouse.

AD

Might be as cheap as full pop bottle or can depending on where you buy it.

D1KarVer

:exclaim:Well! I was going to post something, but it needs to go through moderation.
And if a moderator sees this know I mistakenly posted about Florida bills in the wrong place please put it where it belongs, thanks.

--Moderator note: Done--

Last edited by a moderator:

77zach

This is one of the reasons this forum kind of sucks. We already have a thread for this year's session and it's up to date. Go figure, it's called 2017 legislative session.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is one of the reasons this forum kind of sucks. We already have a thread for this year's session and it's up to date. Go figure, it's called 2017 legislative session.
That isn't the fault of the forum.

The benefit/good is that someone will point out where corrective action need be.

BTW - nice attack shot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not an attack on you. Wish people would read the first page to see if a topic already exists.
The attack was against the forum.

The OP of the now merged thread is a newbie (D1KarVer) - give him time to learn the ropes. :)

Last edited: