• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hardin County Violation

Five7

Hey everyone. Lurked here for a few years. Just wanted to say thank you to Gutshot and everyone involved with KC3 for all the hard work.

So I went to register a vehicle the other day, and saw this sign on the Hardin County Government Building.

This is a newer building, less than 2 years old. It houses the county clerk as well as the sheriffs dept.

The old buildings in downtown actually had the correct wordage regarding concealed weapons. This one seems illegal to me as it's a blanket statement banning firearms. I've open carried in the old sheriffs dept without incident.

Who should I contact about this? Any help would be appreciated since I want to do my part. I was thinking of contacting John Ward directly if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Five7

Thanks ya'll. I sent an email to Mr. Berry explaining the problem with this sign.

Doesn't look like he has a direct email, just info@hcky.org

Will let you know the response.

countryclubjoe

NO! The county clerk is the custodian of all county records and it is an elected county office. The job is often confused with that of Circuit Clerk, who is the clerk for the Circuit Judge. That is a court office. The jobs are not the same or even close, except in name. The Circuit Clerk issues your drivers license. The County Clerk issues your vehicle license plates and registration.

Drivers license, vehicle registration, folks continue to relinquish their rights for privileges. All rights should be protected however a topic for another time and thread..

My .02

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Drivers license, vehicle registration, folks continue to relinquish their rights for privileges. All rights should be protected however a topic for another time and thread..

My .02
So, I guess you tool around the streets of NJ in your own private conveyance without any state issued tags or any form of state issued driver license?

Five7

Is there anything close to a resolution for this problem in the works? Does anyone have any new information?

Sorry for the long delay. Haven't had a lot of time to devote. It's been a trying month and a half. I lost 2 close friends and have been busy traveling for funerals. Also have a family member in the hospital.

I never received a reply from my original email to the generic Hardin county address, so I decided to send an email directly to Judge/Executive Berry a couple of days back.

Feels like I got a blow off response from what I considered a well written and respectful email informing Mr. Berry of the violation.

I'm new to this Gutshot so you may have better luck. I've posted my email we as well as Mr. Berry's response below.

Attn: Judge/Executive Harry Berry

Dear Mr. Berry,

Hope this finds you well this new year. I recently visited the Hardin County Government building located at 150 N Provident Way in Elizabethtown to register a vehicle.

Prior to entering the building, I came across the following sign stating that "no weapons are permitted."

As you may or may not know, this sign is in direct violation of KRS 65.870, (Attached) and is therefore illegal.

It is also in direct violation of Hardin County Ordinance 287, (Attached) which plainly states this ordinance applies to CONCEALED weapons only and that "clearly identified signs" shall be posted at all entrances to restricted areas.

This sign stating "No Weapons Permitted" is ambiguous, essentially baring the legal open carry of a firearm, and in direct opposition of KRS 65.870 and Hardin County Ordinance 287.

Please let me know when we can expect this sign to be removed and/or corrected to accurately reflect the ordinance stating that CONCEALED weapons are prohibited in restricted areas.

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.

Respectfully,

Mr Five7
Elizabethtown, KY

Thank you for sharing your concerns.

Harry L. Berry
Hardin County Judge/Executive

OC for ME

A judge needs only convince his overlords that he acted in his judicial capacity and there is little to nothing you can do him or his decisions. "Thank you for sharing..."

Yepper, he gave you the brush-off.

MrFive7

Been trying to give an update on this for some time, but my account didn't allowed me to post anything and no mods have gotten back to me. I had to create a new account.

I wanted to report a success. The old signs on the Hardin County government building have been removed and replaced.

See response from Judge Berry below.

Mr. Five7

To update you regarding your concerns with our signs:

The previous signs were removed within a few days of you contacting me.

They have now been replaced with the correct signs (took a month or so for the sign makers to get to us).

Photo of new sign attached.

Thank you for bringing the issue to my attention.

Harry L. Berry

BKUYPyx.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Been trying to give an update on this for some time, but my account didn't allowed me to post anything and no mods have gotten back to me. I had to create a new account.

I wanted to report a success. The old signs on the Hardin County government building have been removed and replaced.

See response from Judge Berry below.

Mr. Five7

To update you regarding your concerns with our signs:

The previous signs were removed within a few days of you contacting me.

They have now been replaced with the correct signs (took a month or so for the sign makers to get to us).

Photo of new sign attached.

Thank you for bringing the issue to my attention.

Harry L. Berry

Awesome! Well done, sir!

Last edited: