• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i thought it was a "right" in florida?

Fallschirjmäger

How did you arrive at the conclusion that carrying a concealed firearm was a right and not a privilege regulated by FL Statute 790.06?
Not withstanding that, how did you arrive at the conclusion that a 13-year old boy could legally carry concealed Or openly?

[Keshaun]Davis [13] was charged with possession of a firearm on school property, carrying a concealed firearm and possession of marijuana under 20 grams.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
IMO its a natural right to OC or CC, as a person sees fit (not how the .govs see fit).

And I don't see age as a barrier (we have parents ya know).

Of course, people get imprisoned all the time when the .govs want to by tyrannical about denying a right...not just our RKBA.

Been happening throughout human history. Why, does this surprise you?

Fallschirjmäger

Tell me honestly David, do you truly think a 13-year old is mature enough to carry a deadly weapon but must still wait another 2 years until he can drive to the corner store as long as he has a 21+ adult in the passenger seat?

hammer6

Tell me honestly David, do you truly think a 13-year old is mature enough to carry a deadly weapon but must still wait another 2 years until he can drive to the corner store as long as he has a 21+ adult in the passenger seat?

what, 13-year olds don't hunt?

i'm sure there's plenty of 13-year olds out there who are much more mature than 30 year olds.

also- age limits are arbitrary.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Ah, you assume that I don't believe a 13 YO cannot travel via horseless carriage. Right to travel is another right, DLs not needed.

Fallschirjmäger

what, 13-year olds don't hunt?
I'm sorry, did I somehow miss where he was hunting AND accompanied by an adult as required by Florida Statute 790.22?
Or are you just trying to sidestep the issue at hand?

Oh, and age limits are entirely Constitutional, see Article II, Section 1 :)

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sorry, did I somehow miss where he was hunting AND accompanied by an adult as required by Florida Statute 790.22?
Or are you just trying to sidestep the issue at hand?

Oh, and age limits are entirely Constitutional, see Article II, Section 1 :)

And what is the constitution ? Just a law.

Can a law usurp a right? No.

Fallschirjmäger

And what is the constitution ? Just a law.
Can a law usurp a right? No.
Laws protect rights, so show me somewhere, anywhere that a 13-year old has a right to carry a deadly weapon unsupervised.

If that 'right' applies to him, then it would logically also apply to a 5-year old having the same 'right' to carry a firearm, also unsupervised.

I'm a bit tired of this, I come here for intelligent conversation and it seems sorely lacking from some corners.

hammer6

Laws protect rights, so show me somewhere, anywhere that a 13-year old has a right to carry a deadly weapon unsupervised.

If that 'right' applies to him, then it would logically also apply to a 5-year old having the same 'right' to carry a firearm, also unsupervised.

I'm a bit tired of this, I come here for intelligent conversation and it seems sorely lacking from some corners.

you brought the conversation off topic, so you're gonna have to bear with it.

i didn't mention anything about age in my original post.

but since we're talking about age, think of kids in other countries who have been trained to handle firearms at really young ages. it's definitely possible. again, an age limit is an arbitrary number that some .gov made up to make us "feel" safe. there isn't a federal limit on age for long gun carry. each state is different in their laws as well.

Fallschirjmäger

you brought the conversation off topic, so you're gonna have to bear with it.

i didn't mention anything about age in my original post.

but since we're talking about age, think of kids in other countries who have been trained to handle firearms at really young ages. it's definitely possible. again, an age limit is an arbitrary number that some .gov made up to make us "feel" safe. there isn't a federal limit on age for long gun carry. each state is different in their laws as well.
Manatee, FL
A 13-year-old was arrested Thursday morning for bringing a loaded gun to school, according to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office.
That's literally the first effing sentence in the post you linked to. Did you link to it expecting us not to follow and read?

I thought the question was 'Is concealed carry a right in Florida'?
The answer to that is no, and I'll cite Florida Statute 790.06, which by the way, I did expect you to follow and read.
As you and David have likely surmised, laws protect rights. There is no law protecting the non-right for a 13-year old to carry a deadly weapon onto school property.

So to get back on subject, Are there any other questions as to whether you have some supposed 'right' to carry a concealed handgun without a proper license in the State of Florida?

davidmcbeth

Banned

Laws do not protect rights really. They may provide penalties for people who violate your rights but that is not enough protection for many otherwise our courts (sans this goofy war on drugs) would be a lot emptier now.

You may note in many statues that the statue will say "we create this right for the purpose...." or similar wording. But statutes and laws don't create rights.

And that same statute written creating this new "right"? They could repeal it the next day if they wanted to. I guess it was not a very good right at all LOL.

Really the .govs toss around the word "right" all the time to the point where it has no meaning...and they do this on purpose so that you think rights are actually permissions and not rights at all.

You should take some time out and evaluate exactly what "rights" you have are true "rights".

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

You should take some time out and evaluate exactly what "rights" you have are true "rights".
At one time, a person could legally be owned by another person
At one time, women had no 'right' to vote
At one time, an eighteen year old had the 'right' to consume alcoholic beverages
At one time, a state had the 'right' to have a State Religion (even after the First Amendment was ratified, btw)

You have the right to free speech, but not the right to incite a riot or threaten death or serious injury.
You have the right to travel, but not the right to drive on the opposite side of the road as everyone else nor to drive a vehicle that occupies the entire roadway.
You have the right to vote (in a State election at least) but not the right to vote more than once.

You have the 'right' to bear arms in Florida Article 1, Section 8, but the right is not unlimited as the Florida Constitution states it may be regulated by law.

A right is not necessarily unlimited, much to the dismay of some.

Ezek

Are you saying that a 9 YO has a right of prohibition on consensual sex?

I don't recall any 9 YO being imprisoned for having consensual sex.

wow, this thread went to some rather dark places of the human capability for immorality.

I will contest that until the age of adulthood, under common law children are the property of their parents. therefore rights can be restricted by the parent until such age as they are deemed an adult, and thereby able to quantify the burden of supporting oneself.

now charging a 13 year old who is too young to understand consequence of firearm law and how excessive it is because of the burden of responsibility created by law for firearms ( they are a VERY effective tool at what they do, which is kill or severely maim).

he is lucky it is at 13 and will drop off at 18 from his record. unless he is tried as an adult, in which case the court should have to make an argument that the childs mind is equal to that of an adult for knowledge of personal responsibility and consequence. I doubt they will, or that they could.

however the real problem here lies with the parents. they should have made the firearm much harder for their offspring to obtain for arbitrary reasons, rather then defense reasons, as well as lack of proper training is the use carry and deployment of said weapons for defense purposes and defense purposes ONLY.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

however the real problem here lies with the parents. they should have made the firearm much harder for their offspring to obtain for arbitrary reasons, rather then defense reasons, as well as lack of proper training is the use carry and deployment of said weapons for defense purposes and defense purposes ONLY.
By the time I was eight years old, I was shooting competatively and hunting. Defense purposes did not enter the mix until years later.

Taught my mother safe handling and maintenance when I was about 10yo.

Last edited:

hammer6

Laws do not protect rights really. They may provide penalties for people who violate your rights but that is not enough protection for many otherwise our courts (sans this goofy war on drugs) would be a lot emptier now.

You may note in many statues that the statue will say "we create this right for the purpose...." or similar wording. But statutes and laws don't create rights.

And that same statute written creating this new "right"? They could repeal it the next day if they wanted to. I guess it was not a very good right at all LOL.

Really the .govs toss around the word "right" all the time to the point where it has no meaning...and they do this on purpose so that you think rights are actually permissions and not rights at all.

exactly.

Ezek

Okay grape, I concede that point, well played, location and demographics not withstanding.

Fine a firearm is for hunting, target shooting and defense only, for lawful use.

the basics of safety must be well understood. cause life doesn't have a reset button.

Freedom1Man

Okay grape, I concede that point, well played, location and demographics not withstanding.

Fine a firearm is for hunting, target shooting and defense only, for lawful use.

the basics of safety must be well understood. cause life doesn't have a reset button.
How do you conclusively know that life does not have a reset "button?"

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk