• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No holsters at courthouse

poetdante

Great ideas!!!

Newbies .....

First put the holster into a backpack and have them run it through the packaging scanner ... then afterwards attach it to your person.

They no longer can complain .. you already went through their security process and went through OK.

I do it all the time with body armor .... they sometimes come up to me afterwards and start querying "did you go through security? and/or "Are you a felon?"...which I respond "I don't answer probative questions w/o my lawyer being present and I do not consent to any consensual contacts."

They scratch their heads and find out that there is no prohibition on wearing body armor.

Fishing expedition over.

idodishez

Newbies .....

First put the holster into a backpack and have them run it through the packaging scanner ... then afterwards attach it to your person.

They no longer can complain .. you already went through their security process and went through OK.

I do it all the time with body armor .... they sometimes come up to me afterwards and start querying "did you go through security? and/or "Are you a felon?"...which I respond "I don't answer probative questions w/o my lawyer being present and I do not consent to any consensual contacts."

They scratch their heads and find out that there is no prohibition on wearing body armor.

Fishing expedition over.

The whole idea was to avoid having to take off my holster. I left my weapon in my vehicle like the good little boy that I am as I was entering a courthouse, but leave my holster on as it is an iwb and my pants fall loose if I take it off. So I leave it on.

Taking my holster off is a pita at metal detector is a PITA, requiring unbuckling my pants, often taking off my belt too, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Here in Madisonville (Hopkins County) we are pretty much sterile when we go thru the machines, no cell phones, flash lights, holsters, certain clothing. Just to get a drivers license renewed one must do these things since a Circuit Clerk is a Court of Justice official and the the office is a court facility. So, no firearms allowed.

Two firearm references I'd like to see changed in Kentucky....

1. Having lock boxes available to everyone who visits a courthouse (RCW 9.41.300)
[FONT=&quot](b)In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

[/FONT]
2. Removing the tax on purchases of lock boxes and safes as we had in Washington state (RCW 82.08.832)
[FONT=&quot]1) The tax levied by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply to sales of gun safes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](2) As used in this section and RCW 82.12.832, "gun safe" means an enclosure specifically designed or modified for the purpose of storing a firearm and equipped with a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device which, when locked, prevents the unauthorized use of the firearm.[/FONT]

davidmcbeth

Banned
The whole idea was to avoid having to take off my holster. I left my weapon in my vehicle like the good little boy that I am as I was entering a courthouse, but leave my holster on as it is an iwb and my pants fall loose if I take it off. So I leave it on.

Taking my holster off is a pita at metal detector is a PITA, requiring unbuckling my pants, often taking off my belt too, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if your holster would activate the metal detector, this is what they will require removal anyway.

When visiting a courthouse one should always have the phone number to the chief judge's office that makes policy relating to the security measures if one wants to address something immediately.

One has to know how the system works.

In your case, you could file for a declaratory ruling relating to your carry of a MT holster to the chief judge and ask for a ruling on it; if not in you favor then file a case to review that decision (usually though an administrative hearing ~ pretty simple process ~ may take some time).

Or just do what I suggested -- put it into a backpack or brief case and let it go through he packaging scanner (you can do this before you leave home) and then put it on inside afterwards. You can do this before you leave home.

A few folks in CT complained about the lack of a policy in respect to free speech and the chief administrator issued out a new policy/regulation (see attached file). I am now in the process of writing a declaratory ruling request (to address the clear violations of the first amendment issues associated with the policy) ... and likely will follow that up with a civil case filing with my state's claims commission.

If you want to follow this path to correct this issue then you are free to do so; you are not obligated to do anything.

Attachments

• Policy on Public Expression and Freedom of Speech.pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 41