• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to go for WA nonresident CCW permit, near Oregon?

Lothar

I am a new resident of Oregon, in the Portland area. I would like to obtain a WA nonresident CCW permit

Can anybody recommend a police/sheriff's office or county that I should go to to get this permit? I'm looking for a hassle-free, gun-friendly PD, with little to no delay for processing and issuing the permit. I'd prefer to keep it to within an hour or two drive of Portland.

Thanks!

Lothar

solus

welcome to the forum, my initial thought would be run over to Vancouver, Clark county, approximately 33 miles up the road from Beaverton.

sheriffs firearm site: https://www.clark.wa.gov/sheriff/firearms

are for quick turn around their site says 60 days mailed to your house.

planning on using this in lieu of an OR permit?

again welcome to the site.

ipse

Lothar

welcome to the forum, my initial thought would be run over to Vancouver, Clark county, approximately 33 miles up the road from Beaverton.

sheriffs firearm site: https://www.clark.wa.gov/sheriff/firearms

are for quick turn around their site says 60 days mailed to your house.

planning on using this in lieu of an OR permit?

again welcome to the site.

ipse

Thanks for the welcome, and for the suggestion! I read an old post or two, while searching this forum and Google, suggesting to avoid Vancouver for getting a permit. 60 days seems awfully excessive... I've seen reports on this forum of people walking in and out with a permit in an hour, in some WA counties.

I wasn't clear on what you meant by your "in lieu of" comment. Oregon doesn't accept WA permits via reciprocity, do they? My intent was to get both an Oregon and a Washington permit.

Thanks again!

Lothar

()pen(arry

I would like to obtain a WA nonresident CCW permit

Be aware that there is no such thing as a "WA nonresident CCW permit". There is only a Washington State Concealed Pistol License. The only implications of being a non-resident are a partial restriction on where you can apply and the amount of time they have before issuing it. All Washington CPLs are the same, regardless of residency.

Lothar

Be aware that there is no such thing as a "WA nonresident CCW permit". There is only a Washington State Concealed Pistol License. The only implications of being a non-resident are a partial restriction on where you can apply and the amount of time they have before issuing it. All Washington CPLs are the same, regardless of residency.

Thanks very much for that info--I wasn't aware that there is no such thing as a WA nonresident permit.

I just looked this up on the Washington State Department of Licensing, and it says that nonresidents can apply "at any law enforcement agency in Washington State." So apparently the partial restrictions you mentioned are for WA residents, not for nonresidents.

I'm still wondering though if there are good or bad places for me to go, convenient to the Portland area, for applying?

Lothar

bikemutt

I'd just apply as the link you discovered in your search. For now, at least, WA is a shall-issue state. If a LE agency anywhere in WA has no reason to deny a CPL, then they shall-issue. I had to jump through way more hoops to get an OR permit than WA.