• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about open carry and magazines

DH440

Hello I am new to open carry. I have a couple questions about of laws. Are we allowed to carry loaded magazines in our pockets? Or do they have to be outside the belt in mag pouches to? And the last question just to make sure because I can't find anything online, is it OK to have my pistol loaded, cocked,and locked on my hip OC?

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Hello I am new to open carry. I have a couple questions about of laws. Are we allowed to carry loaded magazines in our pockets? Or do the have to be outside the belt in mag pouches to? And the last question just to make sure because I can't find anything online, is it OK to have my pistol loaded, cocked,and locked on my hip OC?
Welcome...
Yes, in your pocket is OK.
And to your last question is also yes. Cocked and locked taped to your forehead.

But, just remember, you have to have a license to carry loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello I am new to open carry. I have a couple questions about of laws. Are we allowed to carry loaded magazines in our pockets? Or do they have to be outside the belt in mag pouches to? And the last question just to make sure because I can't find anything online, is it OK to have my pistol loaded, cocked,and locked on my hip OC?
Welcome to OCDO.

While OK in your pocket, mags will gather lint-n-grit there. That is why many will utilize leather or kydex carriers.

Cocked and locked - 1911?

DH440

Welcome...
Yes, in your pocket is OK.
And to your last question is also yes. Cocked and locked taped to your forehead.

But, just remember, you have to have a license to carry loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

LOL, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

DH440

Welcome to OCDO.

While OK in your pocket, mags will gather lint-n-grit there. That is why many will utilize leather or kydex carriers.

I have a PT945, It exactly the same dimensions as a commander 1911 but mine has a forged alluminum frame and a forged stainless slide, but not SA it has a DA/SA trigger that can be carried cocked and locked. It is a very fine weapon for being a Taurus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wstar425

Welcome to OCDO.

Good question to ask! That is my first thought when I hear cocked and locked.

Carry a Sig 226 SAO and get the random "do you know your hammer is cocked?" question before AND after questioner finds out it is a Sig. I have found quite a bit of misunderstanding on the term "cocked and locked" as well as a few carrying that way that shouldn't be!

Also, why the he'll would anyone carry a SA? Thinking it required a manual hammer cock after each shot, such as a Ruger Blackhawk.

Welcome to the OP! Never messed with the 945, but have a Beretta 92FS which of course can not be safely carried with the hammer back. I have found that two mags on my belt weak side nicely balances out the weight of the firearm. If I'm open carrying a firearm, and don't care if people notice, mags are no big deal. Half don't care, the other half doesn't notice.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Also, why the he'll would anyone carry a SA? Thinking it required a manual hammer cock after each shot, such as a Ruger Blackhawk.

A review of SAO may be in order. In a single-action gun, the trigger functions only to release the hammer (or striking device). The necessity or cocking after each shot (your Blackhawk example) is for revolvers; semi-autos cock the hammer for you, eliminating the need for you to do it yourself. All my 1911s are SAO and only need manual cocking if, for some reason, I let the hammer down without firing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They can and do turn out some good ones but there are enough bad ones out there I tend to avoid the manufacturer
Taurus makes a very interesting .327 magnum revolver - unfortunately everyone I have seen needed to be sent back (one several times) to be made to function properly. :(

DH440

DH440, you are aware that Cleveland is totally anti-gun, aren't you?

Yes I do that's why I probably will not open carry will I am there, I do not want to deal with the annoying harrasment. I'm lucky I live in a decent suburb right outside Cleveland.

DH440

Carry a Sig 226 SAO and get the random "do you know your hammer is cocked?" question before AND after questioner finds out it is a Sig. I have found quite a bit of misunderstanding on the term "cocked and locked" as well as a few carrying that way that shouldn't be!

Welcome to the OP! Never messed with the 945, but have a Beretta 92FS which of course can not be safely carried with the hammer back. I have found that two mags on my belt weak side nicely balances out the weight of the firearm. If I'm open carrying a firearm, and don't care if people notice, mags are no big deal. Half don't care, the other half doesn't notice.

Thanks for the welcome. If you have a older 92fs then my PT945 and your 92fs were built on the same machines because Taurus bought Berreta's plant in Brazil in either the late 70's or 80's, both guns have a lot in common.

Wstar425

I bought it new, not sure what year 92-94 maybe? It just says 92F, not sure why I think fs. Says Beretta and Acck, MD which I assume is Accokeek. First handgun I bought, just a young pup. Fell in love with the looks, the wood grips are like a brick compared to my 226s! I shot my buddies new Wilson Combat 92G and I think I'll keep my Sigs!

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

DH440

I bought it new, not sure what year 92-94 maybe? It just says 92F, not sure why I think fs. Says Beretta and Acck, MD which I assume is Accokeek. First handgun I bought, just a young pup. Fell in love with the looks, the wood grips are like a brick compared to my 226s! I shot my buddies new Wilson Combat 92G and I think I'll keep my Sigs!

I really like the looks of that Berreta.

Firearms Iinstuctor

That's down right nice looking.

kind of looks like a safe queen to me.

The Truth

Condescending looks from the antis is an excellent reason to OC anyway!

Currently OCing a 1990 S&W 1076.