• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Use of Body Cameras in Law Enforcement

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Subscribing to Force Science Institute, Ltd. can give one some interesting insights.

New class being offered re use of body cams in law enforcement.
Enhance the fairness and thoroughness of investigations
• Create and analyze Body Cam protocols and policies
• Minimize liability risks
• Shape the training of your officers
• Enhance public perception and understanding of force encounters
• Avoid the spread of misinformation and misunderstanding
• Bolster your ability to enlighten your community and civilian review groups

http://www.forcescience.org/cameracourse.pdf

Last edited:

OC for ME

Subscribing to Force Science Institute, Ltd. can give one some interesting insights.

New class being offered re use of body cams in law enforcement.
Enhance the fairness and thoroughness of investigations - who defines fairness...not you or I.
• Create and analyze Body Cam protocols and policies - uh, what is there to analyze...keep the camera running and the cop, nor his chain of command has direct access to the data.
• Minimize liability risks - BINGO!!!
• Shape the training of your officers - hmm...
• Enhance public perception and understanding of force encounters - I think the public has the correct perception already.
• Avoid the spread of misinformation and misunderstanding - that cops do not approve of in advance...that is.
• Bolster your ability to enlighten your community and civilian review groups - are they referring to the toothless citizen review groups?

Remove cops from the chain of custody of the data they record.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
As I stated before, I do not support body cameras ... the records produced will not be used as intended and the public will not have access to these public records.

The only time we'll see these records is when they advance the ideas being brought forth by the .govs.

We see this prediction starting to come true.

Law and .govs protecting or helping people? What an antiquated notion.

countryclubjoe

An I would add, that every law abiding citizen, have their very own body camera, when out and about.

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

countryclubjoe

Another item for the cops to seize and "accidentally damage in the struggle you put up resisting arrest". :exclaim:

WRONG!

LEO fear the camera more than they fear the gun..

Check out yuotube, search First amendment audit while open carrying,,, some educational footage..

My .02
CCJ

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
WRONG!

LEO fear the camera more than they fear the gun..

Check out yuotube, search First amendment audit while open carrying,,, some educational footage..

My .02
CCJ
Good body cams simultaneously upload to the cloud. So, when the cop says "I'll destroy that camera" just serves to destroy the cop.

OC for ME

Good body cams simultaneously upload to the cloud. So, when the cop says "I'll destroy that camera" just serves to destroy the cop.
Unfortunately cops are not held to account for this particular unlawful act. I will hazard a guess that this happens far more often than a cop unlawful and intentionally, harming another citizen.

utbagpiper

Banned
Unfortunately cops are not held to account for this particular unlawful act. I will hazard a guess that this happens far more often than a cop unlawful and intentionally, harming another citizen.

Citations or evidence? Or just bashing?

utbagpiper

Banned
As I stated before, I do not support body cameras ... the records produced will not be used as intended and the public will not have access to these public records.

The only time we'll see these records is when they advance the ideas being brought forth by the .govs.

We see this prediction starting to come true.

Law and .govs protecting or helping people? What an antiquated notion.

More bashing by those who want to turn this into another CopWatch.

A quick search turns up studies on what happens when departments start using body cams. This report is an easy enough read.

Excerpts:

For three years prior to the experiment, the PD posted roughly 65 use-of-force incidents per year. ... In the year before the experiment, 24 citizens lodged grievances against officers.

During the experimental period, the UOF rate dropped significantly, to 25 incidents total, a reduction of 58 percent to 64 percent compared to previous years. Only eight of the incidents occurred when officers were wearing body cams. In other words, during the test period the likelihood of force being used was roughly doubled when cameras were not deployed.

Citizen complaints plunged to a total of three (3), a precipitous drop of 88 percent.

If there are studies showing any negative effects, I'd be open to read them. But I'd prefer something concrete rather than emphatic assertion or cop bashing bigotries.