• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you making plans for Lobby Day?

The Wolfhound

turnout was a bit low

I was guesstimating at 400 or so out at the Bell Tower. Visits to lots of folks on the 5th floor. I had the string of offices from 524-529, plus my own Delegate (O'Bannon) [providentially arriving just as the "official" delegation from VCDL arrived] and my Senator (Dunnavant), met with her Legislative Assistant as Dr. Dunnavant was seeing patients at that hour. Temperatures were in the 40s outdoors. Sadly, not the same event without Skidmark or Peter Nap being there.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
400 sounds about right. I know I've heard others estimate higher. It was a significantly lower turnout than previous years -- probably a combination of the weather and the perception that Nov 8 did something for us. It was significantly easier to get an elevator, the hallways weren't nearly as crowded, and some other groups that are usually there on Lobby Day morning either didn't show or showed another time.

B. Reddy

Still Amazed

I was fortunate enough to make it to Lobby Day 2017 and just wanted to give some feedback.

Congrats to VCDL on the great organizational skills. The crowd outside gets orange stickers, forms up on a clipboard-totin' group leader and in we go. Said leader has copies of VCDL positions on various bills, ready to hand off to aides or delegates.

This year someone had the brilliant idea to visit legislators in blocks on the same floor, so HUGE time-savings not having to trudge up and down stairs or wait for crowded elevators. That saved me enough time to go sign in at my own legislator's offices.

Maybe the anti-gun legislators are expecting to hear us say "Me like guns!", but I am still amazed and impressed by the carefully reasoned and cogent discussions our groups have with them. Y'all are really bringing your "A" game.

My jaw dropped when I heard Del. Plum say, "Nobody's trying to take away your guns!" as he was pushing his bill:

HB 1778, Delegate Plum, takes away a person’s right to purchase or transport a handgun for five years for a conviction of misdemeanor assault and battery against someone because of race, religion, color, or national origin. Misdemeanors are not meant to take away someone’s civil rights, but that’s exactly what this bill does.

Turnout was on the light side, compared to the last handful of years. Other than a small group of bikers, I saw no other group, not even the "Rescue Animals for the Legalization of Hemp."

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I was fortunate enough to make it to Lobby Day 2017 and just wanted to give some feedback.

Congrats to VCDL on the great organizational skills. The crowd outside gets orange stickers, forms up on a clipboard-totin' group leader and in we go. Said leader has copies of VCDL positions on various bills, ready to hand off to aides or delegates.
<snip>

Turnout was on the light side, compared to the last handful of years. Other than a small group of bikers, I saw no other group, not even the "Rescue Animals for the Legalization of Hemp."

There was a large group of "Americans for Prosperity" (interestingly, Ed Gillespie spoke to them but sent a surrogate to us) - at least a couple of hundred of them.

I'm not disappointed in the VCDL turnout; the fact so many *did* come out under the circumstances I think spoke loudly and clearly. But I dispute those who estimate our turnout at "near 1000"

The Wolfhound

Other groups...

During my visit to the third flood (Senate), I observed a small cluster of red shirted "Mommies Demand" floating about. My orange sticker did not cause a swoon. I was CC at the time.