• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio State: campus carry activist shot & killed near campus

KBCraig

Tarak Andrew Underiner wanted Ohio college students to have the right to carry guns on campus so they could defend themselves in dangerous situations – say, leaving the library late at night and traveling home alone.

Now he’s the first homicide of 2017 in Columbus.

The Lantern reports that the Ohio State University campus-carry activist was “found dead from gunshot wounds” at a residence near campus when police responded to a shooting around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

The police report says investigators don’t think the shooting was “random in nature.”

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/30603/

davidmcbeth

Banned
In Chicago I knew people who worked at the Illinois Institute of Technology .... known for not being a safe campus, especially for women and at night.

It was illegal to carry in Illinois at all during this time period.

Many college campuses are in shaky neighborhoods ...

Unfortunately, this college student decided to "play the game".

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tarak Andrew Underiner wanted Ohio college students to have the right to carry guns on campus so they could defend themselves in dangerous situations – say, leaving the library late at night and traveling home alone.

Now he’s the first homicide of 2017 in Columbus.

The Lantern reports that the Ohio State University campus-carry activist was “found dead from gunshot wounds” at a residence near campus when police responded to a shooting around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

The police report says investigators don’t think the shooting was “random in nature.”

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/30603/

Very sad. Extend our condolences please.

Are the antis dancing yet?

utbagpiper

Banned
If not random, then he was targeted. His political beliefs might have been a motive for some nutjob on the fringe.

Alternatively, some higher than typical risk of being targeted (eg Having a girlfriend with a crazy and jealous ex-boyfriend, Having former business associates bitter about financial losses, etc) might have informed his political/social beliefs about the benefits of and need to be personally armed. Regardless, murders are horrible.

My first year at MIT three or four of our students were assaulted one evening as they left the engineering library. They were confronted by several local "youths" (is the word media uses in these cases) playing the "knock down game". One of our international students was a little too slow retrieving his wallet for the human vermin and was murdered with a knife stab through his heart.

Even more revolting to me that the crime itself, was the degree to which local reaction excused the crime. And then there was the fact that because the victims were technically standing off campus property and on a city sidewalk when the crime occurred, the crime wasn't included in official campus crime stats....though it has been widely reported as being associated with the campus and included as a footnote in at least one report I saw years ago and won't even attempt to dig up again.

Even ignoring any crimes that might be motivated by "town and gown" tensions, there is nothing but liberal stupidity that suggests a college campus, especially those smack in the middle of urban areas, are any safer than anywhere else. Especially not with the end of colleges acting in loco parentus and with the increase of older students. It isn't 1905, and colleges no longer have any practical ability to shoo from their grounds those who are obviously not students, as it is not longer obvious who isn't a student.

Charles

davidmcbeth

Banned
If not random, then he was targeted. His political beliefs might have been a motive for some nutjob on the fringe.

I have great experience with antis and their tactics ... they are not very courageous people ... zero times have I had a gun pulled on me as they know what the outcome would be in me exercising my RKBA.

They try collateral attacks ... not direct ones.

KBCraig

News parrots repeat police claims like this one that say it was "drug related". The obvious implication is that Tarak Underiner was selling, buying, or using drugs.

Having a more open mind to the various possibilities (longer version: I have a BA in Journalism and am a retired LEO, so I understand the weasel language in both camps), I think that "drug related" could include being robbed by a junkie. It could include a totally straight-edge victim losing an argument with an addict friend he was trying to help. "Drugs and guns were found in the house" could include roommates who weren't involved, and could include out of date prescription drugs.

Last edited:

solus

News parrots repeat police claims like this one that say it was "drug related". The obvious implication is that Tarak Underiner was selling, buying, or using drugs.

Having a more open mind to the various possibilities (longer version: I have a BA in Journalism and am a retired LEO, so I understand the weasel language in both camps), I think that "drug related" could include being robbed by a junkie. It could include a totally straight-edge victim losing an argument with an addict friend he was trying to help. "Drugs and guns were found in the house" could include roommates who weren't involved, and could include out of date prescription drugs.

what you are describing is called critical thinking skills! however, in today's climate of fake news proliferation coupled with the publicized antics of the nice LEs and the courts blessing they can lie to citizens with impunity, most citizens can't see through the smoke and mirrors of what is reported.

prime example, man recently 'found dead in his vehicle from a gun shot...reprted to the news by LE as an accidental gunshot while exiting his vehicle'!

this is yet another story from the naked city...

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
News parrots repeat police claims like this one that say it was "drug related". The obvious implication is that Tarak Underiner was selling, buying, or using drugs. ...
I agree.

Even though the statement could be interpreted in opposite ways, I think many people would say that it tarnishes the deceased - who may or may not be deserving of the implication.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
http://bluelivesmatter.blue/ohio-state-tarak-underiner-killed/
According to The Blaze, Tarak Underiner was a member of the Ohio Students for Concealed Carry student group. Michael Newbern, director of the group, said “Tarak Underiner was both a personal friend of mine and a bright young man with a promising future ahead of him. His work as a member of Buckeyes for Concealed Carry on Campus to restore the right to self-defense on Ohio’s college campuses put him in an elite class obtained by very few others in our movement.” The director also said in his statement that few facts are known and asked people not to speculate.
I wish not to be presumptuous, but is this Michael Newbern suggesting he consorts with persons involved in the illicit drug world?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
That is quite a presumption indeed, inferring something neither stated nor implied.
Michael Newbern, director of the group, said “Tarak Underiner was both a personal friend of mine...
I think I would know if my "personal friend" was involved in something they shouldn't be. Maybe they were not personal friends after all. And if they were I don't know that I would publicly admit it. Unless of course you have an ego and had to get your name in the paper.

solus

I think I would know if my "personal friend" was involved in something they shouldn't be. Maybe they were not personal friends after all. And if they were I don't know that I would publicly admit it. Unless of course you have an ego and had to get your name in the paper.

doing smidge of research on mr newbern, 'as director' and 'chair' ya with minimal leap of faith it was an opportunity to be in the news...again!

ipse