• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Common Sense--- This day in History

countryclubjoe

Hi Folks

On this day in 1776, writer Thomas Paine published Common Sense, a pamphlet setting forth his arguments in favor of independence from Great Britain for the American colonies. Although little used today; pamphlets were an important medium for spreading ideas from the 16th thru 19th centuries. Originally published anonymously, Common Sense gained wide circulation in taverns, coffeehouses, meeting places, and private homes.. It also was read to all of General George Washington's troops at the generals behest. Considered one of the most influential pamphlets in American history, Common Sense is credited with uniting average citizens and political leaders behind the idea of independence.
Paine's well-timed essay played a remarkable role in transforming a colonial squabble into a revolution.. The author went on to defend the French Revolution in the 1790s. He was imprisoned during the Reign of terror and returned to the United States in 1802...

Common Sense is a must read for all constitutionalist and folks that believe in individual rights. Mr. Paine in my humble opinion was the greatest founding Father and only one of three founders that did not own slaves, therefore a righteous man.

Common Sense along with Paine's " The Age Of Reason" are must have books..

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Clearly there is truth in your words, yes indeed the government has NOooooooooo common sense.

Regards

CCJ
It was not the government's lack of common sense that was in question. It was the people who seemed to lack it to which his booklet was directed.

B

Bikenut

Originally Posted by countryclubjoe

Clearly there is truth in your words, yes indeed the government has NOooooooooo common sense.

Regards

CCJ

It was not the government's lack of common sense that was in question. It was the people who seemed to lack it to which his booklet was directed.
Pretty much like it is now a days.

Fallschirjmäger

Hi Folks

On this day in 1776, writer Thomas Paine published Common Sense, a pamphlet setting forth his arguments in favor of independence from Great Britain for the American colonies. Although little used today; pamphlets were an important medium for spreading ideas from the 16th thru 19th centuries.....

Common Sense along with Paine's " The Age Of Reason" are must have books..

My .02
Dang, those are some beautiful words you just expressed, Joe. Is this the level of prose we can expect from you in the future?

Or, are you once again shamelessly stealing the words of others to attribute them to your self, just a mere word thief, a plagiarist?

Have you no sense of shame at all? "My 2¢" my left foot; those aren't your thoughts in the least, thief.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I'm reminded of this websites very own OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum Rules as quoted below

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

It would appear you care little for the rules, as this isn't your first instance of being a plagiarist.:eek:

Copywrite:
All websites and their content are inherently copyrighted, provided they are original works. Whether you decide to complete copyright registration for your website is your choice. - courtesy of LegalZoom.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
This particular language appears to be fair use and commonly found on the internet.

We are not copyright attnys ....

I think you are nitpicking at best.

Want him to highlight that the language is from 3000 web pages?

If it ever was copyrighted, the original owner's ID is likely not able to be determined.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

This particular language appears to be fair use and commonly found on the internet.

We are not copyright attnys ....

I think you are nitpicking at best.

Want him to highlight that the language is from 3000 web pages?

If it ever was copyrighted, the original owner's ID is likely not able to be determined.

No, David, just the one, singular website he plagiarized it from, it's easy to find. I can even repost the link if you didn't notice it in my post.
Oh, look. It only took .05 seconds.... http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thomas-paine-publishes-common-sense
...and Lordy, it's even got a cute little button to post the citation for even the laziest thief.

I'm ""nickpicky"" because I've suffered word thieves stealing my intellectual property and I absolutely despise a thief, almost as much as a liar.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

No, David, just the one, singular website he plagiarized it from, it's easy to find. I can even repost the link if you didn't notice it in my post.
Oh, look. It only took .05 seconds.... http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/thomas-paine-publishes-common-sense
...and Lordy, it's even got a cute little button to post the citation for even the laziest thief.

I'm ""nickpicky"" because I've suffered word thieves stealing my intellectual property and I absolutely despise a thief, almost as much as a liar.

Anything that I read and remember and recite is mine.. Or should I cite each and every word from the Constitution when teaching to the masses..

I have never been sued for plagiarism however I must confess I often teach history..

My .02

Fallschirjmäger

Anything that I read and remember and recite is mine.. Or should I cite each and every word from the Constitution when teaching to the masses..

I have never been sued for plagiarism however I must confess I often teach history..

Joe, may I remind you that we've seen your actual postings? That it's obvious to one and all that your spelling is atrocious and your grammar is barely elementary school level.

Those weren't your words, you didn't 'remember them verbatim'. You are a liar and a thief.

My nickle
regards, CAP :banana:

eta: and I will happily "own my words"
(1) YOU OWN YOUR WORDS ONCE THEY ARE POSTED: While we will attempt to help those who have a legitimate need to remove postings they have made in haste or error, our time and ability to do so is not unlimited and there is no guarantee that such a request will be granted. Therefore, post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, I see this all over ... many times without any cite to history.com.

Thanks for the link.

Are they the original copyright owners? Hard to say. Like I said, I see this language w/o any cite all over....I have not done a "date-limited" search because no search engine does this very well. [do this with 9-11-01 crashes ... (limit the search for before 2001)...and you'll get loads of results]

countryclubjoe

Joe, may I remind you that we've seen your actual postings? That it's obvious to one and all that your spelling is atrocious and your grammar is barely elementary school level.

Those weren't your words, you didn't 'remember them verbatim'. You are a liar and a thief.

My nickle
regards, CAP :banana:

eta: and I will happily "own my words"
(1) YOU OWN YOUR WORDS ONCE THEY ARE POSTED: While we will attempt to help those who have a legitimate need to remove postings they have made in haste or error, our time and ability to do so is not unlimited and there is no guarantee that such a request will be granted. Therefore, post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!

Lol.... Pick and choice your poison..

countryclubjoe

"Choice"? That's such a poorly chosen word for someone who is claiming authorship of his post above. Perhaps ... maybe... you aren't quite as well educated as you purport to be.

Are you still feeling hurt because I called you a " quasi-intellectual" indoctrinated institutionalized government actor? Your aversion to criticism is well noted, your quasi-intellect is exposed "the emperor has no clothes" and yes old ethnocentric one, you shall never be accepted into The Triple Nine Society..

My .02

Fallschirjmäger

Are you still feeling hurt because I called you a " quasi-intellectual" indoctrinated institutionalized government actor? Your aversion to criticism is well noted, your quasi-intellect is exposed "the emperor has no clothes" and yes old ethnocentric one, you shall never be accepted into The Triple Nine Society..

My .02
Am I hurt by your words? No more so than when my goldfish soundly criticizes me because I fed it generic fish food instead of Tetra brand. I assure you, I value both of your opinions equally even though I have known my goldfish for years.

How's the plagiarism going, anyway? Going to share with us more of your wisdom that you shamelessly stole from the minds of others?:cool:

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Am I hurt by your words? No more so than when my goldfish soundly criticizes me because I fed it generic fish food instead of Tetra brand. I assure you, I value both of your opinions equally even though I have known my goldfish for years.

How's the plagiarism going, anyway? Going to share with us more of your wisdom that you shamelessly stole from the minds of others?:cool:

Here is some plagiarism just for you, " To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.". Thomas Paine

Are you still feeding yourself from the fruits of other folks labor?. Still stealing money from the citizens? Shame on you Sir!. Try attaining a more honorable profession in life and feed your goldfish with the fruits of your labor and not the labor of others..

Speaking of fish, I am off to eat some Chilean Sea Bass, paid for by the labor of my brain and not the labor of others..

The emperor has no clothes and you sir shall never be accepted into The Triple Nine Society..

My .02

Fallschirjmäger

Sweetie, you have no more idea what I do for a living or how many people I employ than does my goldfish.... maybe less
the-floor-laughing-smiley-face-clipart-panda-free-clipart-images-IO5ZbF-clipart.png

You'll have to seriously step up your game if you think I can be insulted by the likes of you.

countryclubjoe

Sweetie, you have no more idea what I do for a living or how many people I employ than does my goldfish.... maybe less
the-floor-laughing-smiley-face-clipart-panda-free-clipart-images-IO5ZbF-clipart.png

You'll have to seriously step up your game if you think I can be insulted by the likes of you.

Quote{ sweetie}..

Facts are not insults, ( sweetie).. The emperor has no clothes, and you shall never be accepted into The Triple Nine Society..

My .02 Sweetie!

countryclubjoe

The entertainment between the two quasi alpha males is priceless.. Their avidity towards insolent and impertinent behavior when they are challenged in any capacity is exposed. The chameleons have shown their true " HUE"..

Their civility in discourse is now well noted/documented.. Their creditability shattered..

Can the adults now proceed to the topic thereof..

My .02

Regards
CCJ

" The cream always rises to the VERY top'.. Author unknown..