• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sigh, all the training in the world sometimes just doesn't help

WalkingWolf

Regardless of training opportunities, experience, avidity, care, the truth is most of 'us' mis-calculate the risk with regard to many things.

Air travel
Handgun use/need
Risks in the home, vs outside the home (specifically Home intrusions, invasions, burglary, vs mugging, car jacking, being in a store that's robbed.

Is there a positive correlation between training and ND or AD? Probably not. Careless people are going to be careless.

People who get a firearm, no training and realize they don't really know how to use it, usually end up locking it up or stashing it in a drawer and it's forgotten, I think. (a guess for the sake of argument).

On the other end, nobody mandates training for nail guns, chainsaws, driving cars, wood chippers and a whole host of pretty dangerous technology.

This was an 'accident' just like those kinds where someone steps off a cliff walking backwards doing a selfie. No need to conflate it.

True, while it is very sad the fact is somebody made a mistake that turned out to be fatal. We all make mistakes, I have fallen off of a roof a couple times in my youth, but I survived. Every time I am around a gun I make myself aware that a firearm is unforgiving to mistakes.

Fallschirjmäger

Very cynical postings in this thread. He was an avid shooter and had a very rare mishap that cost him his life.

His firearm was in his bag and discharged when he threw it over his shoulder(to put the bag on) while exiting his vehicle. Must have been an older revolver or hammer fired semi.
IPSE.

That was not originally in the news. But I don't know any modern firearm without a transfer bar safety(revolver), or a safety on hammer fired firearms. It is sad that carelessness cost him his life, but it was careless. An easy mistake to avoid.

As WW said, this wasn't in any of the original news reports.
You appear to have more intimate knowledge of this event than we are privy to, may one inquire as to where his avid shooting and firearm in bag are reported?
I'd like to think my initial summation of events was hasty and the incident was indeed a tragic accident.

You know he was an avid shooter
You know he had a firearm in his bag
You know he threw it over his shoulder while exiting his auto
You....don't know if it was a pistol, revolver???

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Now that is just a very good design!
Why does he seem so familiar?

Would this method of carry be considered " Menacing"..

Is that old curmudgeon aka word-salad in the pic?..

I did that to illustrate the viability of OC by taping it to your forehead.
Not only that it slides in and out, so its practical and the basis is a tin foil hat!
So that is a pic of me...

HPmatt

....We all make mistakes, I have fallen off of a roof a couple times in my youth, but I survived..../QUOTE]

It took you 'a couple of times'??? Maybe I am a fast learner it only took me once...or the dirt is softer where you grew up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

....We all make mistakes, I have fallen off of a roof a couple times in my youth, but I survived..../QUOTE]

It took you 'a couple of times'??? Maybe I am a fast learner it only took me once...or the dirt is softer where you grew up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the first time I was being paid to shingle a roof at 18. The contractor insisted that we sheath the roof in freezing rain, and yes I was lucky the ground was soft. Second time was putting up an antenna, and getting caught by gust of wind, I was lucky to hit the porch before the ground. From that point on I will not go on a roof without a harness.

countryclubjoe

Well the first time I was being paid to shingle a roof at 18. The contractor insisted that we sheath the roof in freezing rain, and yes I was lucky the ground was soft. Second time was putting up an antenna, and getting caught by gust of wind, I was lucky to hit the porch before the ground. From that point on I will not go on a roof without a harness.

So I was indeed correct when I stated that you were " hardheaded".. LOL

My Father God rest his soul use to say, "Its not how many times we fall that counts but how many times we keep getting up". I guess every Father used the same quote.

CCJ