• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Taurus Spectrum

Firearms Iinstuctor

When I was at the SHOT show my brother and I looked at the new Taurus spectrum. I was impress with the ergo dynamics. The trigger was very nice even through it was rated at 7lbs it felt a lot nicer.

With a lot of compact pistols have horrible triggers. The trigger on the 5 or I tried were very consistent and user friendly.

As a shooter that is capable of using the most out of a pistol accuracy I wish it had some larger adjustable sites.

The feel is very nice and handy as was with all Taurus products it remains to be seen if it is reliably. Being design and made totally in the USA gives me some hope.

Pictures and his write up at the link.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/01/taurus-spectrum-380-at-shot-show-2017.html

A pick for the "best" new product at the Shot Show is a highly subjective thing. The item that most impressed me was at the Taurus booth. It is the likely replacement for the Taurus 738 TCP, the Taurus Spectrum.

It seems that Taurus has not been able to keep up with demand for the 738. The 738 has an excellent reputation for reliability. It is small, easy to conceal, and
is in the popular .380 caliber. I liked the ergonomics of the 738. So why has Taurus introduced what appears to be a replacement for the 738?

Last edited:

solus

When I was at the SHOT show my brother and I looked at the new Taurus spectrum. I was impress with the ergo dynamics. The trigger was very nice even through it was rated at 7lbs it felt a lot nicer.

With a lot of compact pistols have horrible triggers. The trigger on the 5 or I tried were very consistent and user friendly.

As a shooter that is capable of using the most out of a pistol accuracy I wish it had some larger adjustable sites.

The feel is very nice and handy as was with all Taurus products it remains to be seen if it is reliably. Being design and made totally in the USA gives me some hope.

Pictures and his write up at the link.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...-shot-show-2017.html

A pick for the "best" new product at the Shot Show is a highly subjective thing. The item that most impressed me was at the Taurus booth. It is the likely replacement for the Taurus 738 TCP, the Taurus Spectrum.

It seems that Taurus has not been able to keep up with demand for the 738. The 738 has an excellent reputation for reliability. It is small, easy to conceal, and
is in the popular .380 caliber. I liked the ergonomics of the 738. So why has Taurus introduced what appears to be a replacement for the 738?

sounds like you bit into P.T. Barnum's snake oil pitch...bud's seems to have the 738 FS TCP < $200; Cabelas' has them; and as friend just advised, there are gaggles > 200 of them just sitting in warehouses - can't keep up...sounds like there is a glut of these beauties hanging about...

as for larger sights...eh, remember it is a pocket pistola after all and a cheep one at that...

ipse

Urban Youth

That doesn't inspire very much confidence in Taurus products. I don't want to carry one if there's products just as affordable with better quality control.

solus

That doesn't inspire very much confidence in Taurus products. I don't want to carry one if there's products just as affordable with better quality control.

Urban, recalls are a normal way of life in today's manufacturing world ~ caused mainly due to assuring the final products remain profitable to the manufacturer(s).

as you might be aware, quality assurance oversight is imposed at the beginning of the project while quality control only checks that the final product meets specifically built specifications using defectively designed drawings, etc.

FYI, QA & in some cases QC are overhead activities and if included in the overall product's production cost(s) could make it unaffordable to consumers!

some affect firearms, some directly affect ourselves and loved ones...e.g., Vehicles made by 19 different automakers have been recalled to replace frontal airbags on the driver’s side or passenger’s side, or both in what NHTSA has called "the largest and most complex safety recall in U.S. history." The airbags, made by major parts supplier Takata, were mostly installed in cars from model year 2002 through 2015. Some of those airbags could deploy explosively, injuring or even killing car occupants. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...now-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

as the adage goes...they do not build them like they used to...sigh!

ipse

TigerEYE

Banned

I agree. I've seen the video and I'm kinda wary with Taurus products.

FL_Shooter

Is the Taurus Spectrum all smoke and mirrors? Try to buy one!!!!

One problem, and this is just my opinion, with the Taurus Spectrum .380 is that you still can't buy one. Oh, it looks nice enough at gun shows, sparkles on the promotional website, looks pretty in colorful photographs, but according to Taurus, they do not even have a date yet when they will be able to sell you one.

Lovely - go ahead and promote a product, spend a fortune on advertising, bring a few demo models to gun shows... and the even after almost a year don't find a way to sell one single unit to customers. When you are a company that already has some challenges, that is *NOT* a sure-fire way to build consumer confidence. Again, that is just my opinion, and I am only one of the members of the target market.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Interesting that they are not available yet I wonder if they are having trouble and don't want to continue their reputation of good ideas that don't work.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
One problem, and this is just my opinion, with the Taurus Spectrum .380 is that you still can't buy one. Oh, it looks nice enough at gun shows, sparkles on the promotional website, looks pretty in colorful photographs, but according to Taurus, they do not even have a date yet when they will be able to sell you one.

Lovely - go ahead and promote a product, spend a fortune on advertising, bring a few demo models to gun shows... and the even after almost a year don't find a way to sell one single unit to customers. When you are a company that already has some challenges, that is *NOT* a sure-fire way to build consumer confidence. Again, that is just my opinion, and I am only one of the members of the target market.

Interesting that they are not available yet I wonder if they are having trouble and don't want to continue their reputation of good ideas that don't work.

+1