• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legalities on attending an event on a state college campus while not an enrolled stu

unknownsailor

As you all may or may not know, a "anarchist" protester was shot outside a speaking engagement on the University of Washington campus on inauguration night.
In discussions about the incident, the legalities of carrying on college grounds for non-students came up. I am pretty familiar with what is or is not allowed for students, since I am one at Eastern Washington, but the rights of a non-student on campus while attending a public speech event is an unknown for me.
Any knowledgeable people want to help me dispel my lack of knowledge?

solus

As you all may or may not know, a "anarchist" protester was shot outside a speaking engagement on the University of Washington campus on inauguration night.
In discussions about the incident, the legalities of carrying on college grounds for non-students came up. I am pretty familiar with what is or is not allowed for students, since I am one at Eastern Washington, but the rights of a non-student on campus while attending a public speech event is an unknown for me.
Any knowledgeable people want to help me dispel my lack of knowledge?

hummm, review of the three news articles fails to refer to the victim in the fashion your refer to the 34yo critically injured individual.

shooter and another individual turned themselves in claiming self defense ~ released on the advice of prosecutor.

none of the three articles reviewed state if the victim or shooter were students or alumni of the university?

but to the crux of your question, the criteria to be armed on campus isn't predicated if the armed individual is a student/alumni so do you have a cite which lead to this discussion?

ipse

deanf

[h=3]WAC 478-124-020 - Prohibited conduct. - carrying firearms is prohibited by administrative rule, with no exception for CPL holders.[/h][h=3]Conduct on campus code—Sanctions. - you can be ejected from campus. Other administrative sanctions may apply if you are a student, staff, or faculty.[/h]No prohibition in the RCW (criminal laws) that I could find.

So it is treated just like a private business that bans guns.

solus

I am sure that we interested are capable of independent research, rather than demanding "cite" to some newspeek event.

interestingly, wasn't demanding a cite for a newspeek article but rather from the OPs commentary regarding the 'discussion on the legalities' on carry on the campus by non-campus students...

but as for the capability of independent research, not sure the ancient philosophers or turn of the 20th century Deutschland tomes you utilize have anything of relevance to campus carry...

ipse

solus

No details about any confrontation between him and the critically wounded man were available Saturday. But one of the law-enforcement officials said the man who fired the gun claimed he had been assaulted before shooting the other man, whom he believed to be some type of white supremacist.

Two people who said they are friends with the wounded man disputed the characterization of him as a supremacist. One said his friend supported Bernie Sanders in the Democratic presidential primary, and both said he sports an anti-hate tattoo that consists of a black swastika surrounded by a red circle with a slash through it.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/police-release-man-arrested-in-uw-shooting/

Lammo

RCW 9.41.280 is the only law you will find regarding weapons on school premises and that only applies to elementary and secondary schools, not colleges and universities. Arguably, RCW 9.41.290 and .300 should preempt rules, which is what the WACs are, that prohibit weapons on college and university premises. Haven't had the time to see if the legislature has authorized college and university boards to enact such rules. If they have, then such rules should only apply to enrolled students. If there is no express authorization for the colleges and universities to enact such rules then they are void. My $.02. That and $3.50 will get you a latte.

Last edited:

unknownsailor

hummm, review of the three news articles fails to refer to the victim in the fashion your refer to the 34yo critically injured individual.

shooter and another individual turned themselves in claiming self defense ~ released on the advice of prosecutor.

none of the three articles reviewed state if the victim or shooter were students or alumni of the university?

but to the crux of your question, the criteria to be armed on campus isn't predicated if the armed individual is a student/alumni so do you have a cite which lead to this discussion?

ipse

I was trying to find out what, if any, laws would apply to a non-student attending an on campus event that is being put on by a student group.
I was aware of the administrative rule, and the law that covers primary and secondary schools, but did not know if there was anything else that would apply.
I took a gander at the RCWs last night, and couldn't find anything myself, but I know there are people here pretty familiar with the RCWs, so that is why I asked.

What deanf said is what I suspected was the case, but did not want to offer it as an opinion without being sure.
I've told a few of my class mates that carrying isn't criminally illegal, but _is_ against the student CoC, and I always get a surprised, "Oh really?" as a response.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
South Puget Sound allows CC with CPL. Even far left Evergreen is looking at changing their stance on carry since they say they strongly stand behind student rights. They can't pick, and choose the rights they support. So there may be some light at the end of this tunnel.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
This subject, as well as carry on/in Public Hospital districts/ and carry on/in public Fire departments have been discussed many times over the years and are searchable on this site, with relevant Cites and discussions.

However, as Lammo has stated above, as a Student on a State campus, there are "rules" to follow. As a student several times on State campuses, I have found that one can not generally carry a weapon without significant consequences to your status as a student, should you be caught carrying.

As a citizen who carries on College campuses, I simply follow the RCW's. Of which State Pre-emption would be the overriding law that applies since no other RCW's prohibit State College carry.

mnrobitaille

Washington State University

I have visited by the Washington State University in Pullman while carrying concealed, & before I went on campus I contacted Campus Police & the response was "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" for Campus Visitors. While on campus, I went & browsed The Bookie which is located within the Compton Union Building (CUB).

Only information about firearms on campus I can find is located at: WSU Firearms Policy

On the website I have linked above, the mention only seems to be about students, but not non-students.