• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

arrested for open carry in police station

SpringerXDacp

Is the emphasized portion based upon an analysis of the Michigan code or wishful thinking?

In Michigan, CCW is a 5-year felony (750.227). Resisting, obstruction, assault, etc, with no injury is a 2-year felony and a 4-year felony with injury requiring medical attention (750.81d).

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I don't have the charging instrument in front of me, nor access to it so I cannot state for certain what the exact violations of the MI Code is being charged, but entering in the text of the charges leads me to the following .....

James Baker and Brandon Vreeland are both charged with violations of:
§750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
§ 750.170 Disturbance of lawful meetings.
§ 750.81d Assaulting, battering, resisting, obstructing, opposing person performing duty; felony; penalty; other violations; consecutive terms; definitions.

Baker is additionally charged with:
§ 750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

It was my understanding that all charges were misdemeanor when I last had contact with folks in Mr. Baker's circle of friends. I'll reach out and see if that's changed?

In short, having spent most of my life in that area I can tell you that Dearborn officials are well known for their abuse of the law when it suits their agenda including police. One need to look no further than the whole Pastor Terry Jones debacle and subsequent lawsuits the city of Dearborn lost due to their blatant disregard for the constitution.

https://www.thomasmore.org/news/pas...rborn-victory-for-the-thomas-more-law-center/

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

It does appear that a felony charge has been made.

I know Mr. Baker had a valid MI CPL at the time of this incident. So the CCW charge is very questionable at best. The MI CPL gives one great latitude in how they may transport a pistol which to my knowledge both firearms carried by Mr. Baker were pistols under MI law. ??? Curious developments indeed but I give the DPD their props for doing their damned best to conduct this trial in the public/media long before a jury ever hears it. :(

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...in-open-carry-case-at-dearborn-police-station

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

To clarify:

There were initially a slew of misdemeanor charges.
felony CCW charges were later added, and as a result, some of the misdemeanor charges were dropped. You can actually see this happen in publicly available video of the arraignment.

I have seen the evidence in question that supposedly led to the felony charge, and I am not convinced, however I cannot say more at this time pending their day in court.

FreeInAZ

Thanks for the clarification Evil C.

It's my guess here that what we are seeing is a doubling down so to speak from DPD, knowing that the charges will be tossed they are trying to ratchet up the stakes in hope Mr. Baker will take some kind of plea deal and save them a loss of face. They sure are trying to spin this in the media to paint Mr. Baker as a crazy guy. Anyone who's met Mr. Baker can tell you he's not some raving lunatic.

countryclubjoe

The exercising of the 2A via any form of carry weapon is a plus. Those gentleman are great ambassadors for the 2A.

My .02

Regards
CCJ

Evil Creamsicle

I got conveniently edited out of the MSNBC portion of that video for calling the director an
latest
hole to his face.

In my defense, the director was an
latest
hole.

Last edited:

Michigander

I got cut out also for similar reasons, as did another mutual friend of myself and EC. Essentially the guy in charge of filming is an idiot, and wanted to create his own image of who we were and what we were doing that was unrelated to the truth, as you can see on youtube where our footage is spliced into theirs. The funniest part was I think the morons in NYC who put the show together thought we cared about being featured on their stupid show. In light of how poor the quality was, I'm quite glad to not be on it.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Court case is still ongoing. At present no updates.
Next hearing is Friday. Probable cause hearing was adjourned until then.

I'll share what they/lawyers tell me I can.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Lawyer: Dearborn cops use fake Facebook profile to track gun advocates

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc.../17/dearborn-police-facebook-olivia/99299082/

A lawyer says Dearborn police, using Facebook profile name "Olivia," secretly monitored a network of Second Amendment activists and ambushed two men who filmed themselves walking into police headquarters last month.

Nicholas Somberg, who represents 40-year-old Brandon Vreeland of Jackson, said the Feb. 5 incident was a "political witch hunt" as his client and James Baker, 24, of Leonard, Mich., were arrested. In a YouTube video, Baker can be seen in a black ski mask with a short-barreled rifle slung over his chest and a semi-automatic pistol strapped to his hip; Vreeland had on body armor but left his gun in the car, instead bringing along cameras to videotape the encounter that was about to take place.

"After the discovery, it is very clear that Dearborn (police) knew that they were coming, knew who they were, and planned the ambush," Somberg said. "It's not that they were reacting to a situation they thought was going to be violent. They actually knew it was not violent, knew who they were, and just wanted to teach these guys a lesson." ...