• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich told to disarm before entering Spokane Arena

hadji

FUQ:
"Arena leaders told Knezovich in a meeting Monday that law enforcement, regardless of their clothing, will soon be permitted to carry their service weapons inside at all times."
and...
"Knezovich said he did discuss with arena staff what this means for civilians with a concealed weapon permit. It's unclear if any changes will be made on that front.:
http://www.khq.com/story/34495588/spokane-arena-reacts-to-sheriff-gun-controversy
FUQ:
"Meanwhile, the sheriff says the arena is breaking state law by not letting people who hold concealed pistol licenses bring their guns inside the arena.
The arena's attorneys disagree and want to explain why they're not violating anybody's gun rights, just trying to keep the public safe."
http://www.kxly.com/news/local-news...e-arena-because-of-concealed-pistol/332363633

Reliable source indicate that Ozzie referred to RCW 9.41.300, which states in relevant part:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; RCW 9.41.300 (2)(b)(I)

RCW 9.41.070 refers to those with a CPL.
RCW 9.41.060 refers to law enforcement.

Ahhhh.... ok... NOW!
If anybody knows how I can communicate with Ozzie privately, and directly, please PM me.

hadji

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

Disarming of law enforcement

Here is what Spokane Arena is in violation of:

RCW 9A.76.023

Disarming a law enforcement or corrections officer.

(1) A person is guilty of disarming a law enforcement officer if with intent to interfere with the performance of the officer's duties the person knowingly removes a firearm or weapon from the person of a law enforcement officer or corrections officer or deprives a law enforcement officer or corrections officer of the use of a firearm or weapon, when the officer is acting within the scope of the officer's duties, does not consent to the removal, and the person has reasonable cause to know or knows that the individual is a law enforcement or corrections officer.
(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, disarming a law enforcement or corrections officer is a class C felony.
(b) Disarming a law enforcement or corrections officer is a class B felony if the firearm involved is discharged when the person removes the firearm.

I know several within the law enforcement community, & they will say that they are always on duty, even when not in uniform. Only difference is that they'll assist those currently in uniform, if requested. Most will always either have their LEOSA card with them or other credential which identifies them as law enforcement.

Fallschirjmäger

I don't know about your friends, but the friends I have on the police department aren't allowed to drink on duty (unless undercover ... not a single drop. So, are these guys you know teetotalers?
Do they get paid overtime for working extra hours? How does that work when you're already being paid 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
If one of them pulls a burglary (like a group of cops in NYC), is that part of their duties since they're 'on duty'?
If a cop goes on vacation from NY down to Florida, can he pull over someone speeding across Alligator Alley?

I've taught firearms classes and have invited guests, some are in law enforcement. For my classes they have two options, be disarmed or be somewhere else. None so far have attempted to arrest me for attempting to disarm them. (Then again, none of them are attending classes on-duty or acting within the scope of their duties when attending.)

The good Sheriff wasn't disarmed and he wasn't prevented from using his weapon, he was denied entry.
That's an entirely different kettle of fish.

If you Really think a felony has been committed, I recommend you contact
Sheriff Knezovich or his staff at (509) 477-6719

or mail him at
1100 W Mallon Avenue
Spokane, WA 99260

or at the very least, contact them at
https://www.spokanecounty.org/formcenter/79/79

Please don't wait, the seriousness of this situation demands action immediately.

Last edited:

deanf

RCW 9.41.810.

Violations of Chapter 9.41 are misdemeanors unless otherwise specified. That covers the preemption RCW. So if the good sheriff thinks denying entry to CPL holders is against the law, when do the arrests begin?

Last edited:

hadji

Ok, let us take a closer look at what Navy Leiutenant Commander had to say.

He may be onto something.

The law states in relevant part:

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.
The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality. (emphasis added)

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places—Local laws and ordinances—Exceptions—Penalty
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms... and
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

As I was schooled very early on in my participation on this site, Washington State follows the legal system that states what one cannot do. If there is no law against it, then the activity is legal.

The above states that "Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter.".
By definition then, cities, towns and counties or other municipalities may not enact other laws restricting the possession of firearms.

I need to make sure that I get this right.
Does anybody read this differently?

In a previous post, I noted that a reliable source relayed to me elements of a discussion in which it was stated that the exception noted in RCW 9.41.300, allowing possession of firearms by CPL holders (RCW 9.41.070), did not apply since the arena was not a stadium.

RCW 9.41.300 (2)(b) states that a municipality "may enact laws and ordinances", "restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center".

This means then, that a municipality cannot restrict the possession of firearms in an arena, since the restriction in RCW 9.41.290 is still in force.

I also need to get this right.
Does anybody else read this differently?

hadji

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

Spokane PFD is still in violation of State Law, potentially in violation of ADA

Found this in that link:

To be clear: As of this writing, the weapons policy at the facilities of the Spokane Public Facilities District including Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena has not changed. Officers in uniform are welcome any time. Off-duty officers will be asked to leave their weapons at home. Citizens with concealed carry permits will be asked to leave their weapons at home and will not be allowed entry if they bring those weapons with them to events.

They are still in clear violation of RCW 9.41.300

Another question is how do they handle those coming with pacemakers?? Since the magnetometers (metal detectors) are being used at all events, & those with pacemakers are told to not enter those metal detectors, are they disallowed from attending events? If that is the case, they are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as a person with a pacemaker can be classified as being disabled, so reasonable accommodations must be made for them to get through the security check point.

Last edited:

hadji

Found this in that link:

They are still in clear violation of RCW 9.41.300

Another question is how do they handle those coming with pacemakers??
<snip>

Those patrons can request to be 'wanded', rather than go through the large machine.
hadji

wickedspray

There are a few of us fighting with the arena on their Facebook page about violating the rcw. Whoever runs that page for the arena is being smug about violating the law. I've got screen shots of sheriff Ozzie also stating that the arena is in violation of state law concerning cpl holders.