• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we still limited on OCing in the George Washington National Forest?

Kevin108

I did a forum search, but the newest thread I found was 5 years old.

The link is borked on the official Forest Service site. Clicking around on the error page, the info I found was was http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC15-40-60 As I am not hunting, I do not feel certain that I am referencing the appropriate section, but it reads:
It shall be unlawful to have in possession...any firearm...west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except...when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

The area I explore is west of the Blue Ridge mountains. Hoping I've gathered the info correctly from https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/, the most useful of any applicable seasons is for squirrel, which is Sep 3 - Feb 28.

Have I interpreted this information correctly?

The Truth

As far as I know, National Park Service (NPS) land follows the laws of the state the land is in regarding firearms.

National Forest land requires a CHP to carry and only allows CC unless hunting (4VAC15-40-60)

Source thread - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...the-Appalachian-Trail&highlight=mcafee's+knob

In other words, on NPS land you're in the clear but be a little more careful on National Forest land.

Also,

If you are not engaged in the act of hunting, personally I would not be concerned with VADGIF regulations unless it's bow or muzzleloader season in which case you are not permitted to carry anything except a bow or muzzleloader in the woods, technically.

Open carry is not reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed.

A concealed pistol is presumably completely hidden from view.

IANAL, YMMV

riverrat10k

Thanks for getting to this, the Truth

.As far as I know, you are correct.
As a hunter, fisherman, canoeist, kayaker, etc,, etc, these strange idiosyncrasies in state law concern me a lot.
For example, the Balcony Falls section of the upper James has State lands bordering. Certain camping is allowed in some areas, but not in others. State Forest rules are different than State Parks and federal parks. It is all very confusing.
Don't get me started on the implications of canoeing/fishing while armed on the Staircase section of the Shenandoah!

riverrat10k

Just a follow up to the question, IANAL

As far as I know, carry is still limited in STATE FORESTS during certain hunting seasons, but not at other times. I have not looked at this much lately. I just carry one way or the other, relying on confusing laws to get myself out of a jam. I would suggest reading the old link and going for it, depending on your risk level for possible confrontation.

I Am Not A Lawyer.

Last edited: