• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

***Security Risk*** CloudBleed & Opencarry.org

stealthyeliminator

In addition, if you use other sites that use CloudFlare (there's quite a few) you should probably change your passwords on those as well!

since9

Campaign Veteran
vBulletin is not exactly the most secure online messaging forum. In fact, it's pretty darn full of holes. There are ways of plugging the holes, but it's a hodgepodge of fixes.

phpBB, on the other hand, is free and can use cheap but reliable basic SSL/TLS (https) certificates. It remained free from cloudbleed.

ProBoards is another good option.

Staying with vBulletin, however, is like grabbing hold of the Titanic on that cold, winter night in deep, frozen Atlantic waters.

jackrockblc

p fhpBB, on the other hand, is free and can use cheap but reliable basic SSL/TLS (https) certificates. It remained free from cloudbleed.

The software was not a factor of Cloudbleed. The SITE of phpbb.com was unaffected because that site's administrators did not use the Cloudflare service. However, the phpBB software was not the reason behind that.

If a site was hosted behind CloudFlare, it had the potential to be affected. The software they used was not really the weakness.Po

A site that uses VBulletin or Proboards or Joomla or even Sharepoint would potentially be affected if they hosted the service behind Cloudflare.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The software was not a factor of Cloudbleed. The SITE of phpbb.com was unaffected because that site's administrators did not use the Cloudflare service. However, the phpBB software was not the reason behind that.

If a site was hosted behind CloudFlare, it had the potential to be affected. The software they used was not really the weakness.Po

A site that uses VBulletin or Proboards or Joomla or even Sharepoint would potentially be affected if they hosted the service behind Cloudflare.

Despite the reference you mentioned, I found no reference that opencarry.org was affected. Cloudflare is used by over 5.5 million websites around the world but Cloudbleed only affected certain services. According to Cloudflare, "around 1 in every 3,300,000 HTTP requests through Cloudflare potentially [resulted] in memory leakage (that’s about 0.00003% of requests)". Additionally, Cloudbleed only affected webpages that carried a specific combination of unbalanced HTML tags.

Pirate (Nick Sweeting) has been doing a super job updating the list of sites that were affected via a variety of data sources. You can access that list, including his sources on github, here.

Regardless, my comments on message forum security remain sound. I'm still an admin on three vBulletin message forums, yet I'll be the first to proclaim just how much of a dinosaur it really is.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

Despite the reference you mentioned, I found no reference that opencarry.org was affected. Cloudflare is used by over 5.5 million websites around the world but Cloudbleed only affected certain services. According to Cloudflare, "around 1 in every 3,300,000 HTTP requests through Cloudflare potentially [resulted] in memory leakage (that’s about 0.00003% of requests)". Additionally, Cloudbleed only affected webpages that carried a specific combination of unbalanced HTML tags.

I hadn't heard about the HTML tag vulnerability, that's good to know.

And yeah, Cloudflare certainly isn't serving all of all of the world's websites, so I doubt this is as big of an issue as some are claiming.

Regardless, my comments on message forum security remain sound. I'm still an admin on three vBulletin message forums, yet I'll be the first to proclaim just how much of a dinosaur it really is.

Can't argue that, except I feel that phpBB is worse in many ways, including security than VBulletin. Of course, that's a pretty low mark to hit. My point was in how it was presented that VBulletin was the problem here (it wasn't) and that phpBB software was immune to the Cloudbleed (it isn't). According to the GitHub link you posted, it's primarily to do with HTML Rewrites enabled (done at the server level), and would allow access to info from sites that did NOT have Rewrites enabled.

What I do find interesting is that Opencarry.org, .com and .net are all on the list of possibly-affected websites, as you can see here: https://cloudbleedcheck.com/?domain=opencarry.org (it's also on the massive .txt file that is linked from the GitHub page).

since9

Campaign Veteran
I hadn't heard about the HTML tag vulnerability, that's good to know.

And yeah, Cloudflare certainly isn't serving all of all of the world's websites, so I doubt this is as big of an issue as some are claiming.

Can't argue that, except I feel that phpBB is worse in many ways, including security than VBulletin. Of course, that's a pretty low mark to hit. My point was in how it was presented that VBulletin was the problem here (it wasn't) and that phpBB software was immune to the Cloudbleed (it isn't). According to the GitHub link you posted, it's primarily to do with HTML Rewrites enabled (done at the server level), and would allow access to info from sites that did NOT have Rewrites enabled.

What I do find interesting is that Opencarry.org, .com and .net are all on the list of possibly-affected websites, as you can see here: https://cloudbleedcheck.com/?domain=opencarry.org (it's also on the massive .txt file that is linked from the GitHub page).

Fair enough on all counts. :)