• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin carry wins surpreme court case

Firearms Iinstuctor

A win for Wisconsin.

https://www.wicourts.gov/supreme/scopin.jsp?begin_date=03/07/2017&end_date=03/07/2017&SortBy=date

IV. CONCLUSION ¶69 We hold today that the Local Regulation Statute, Wis. Stat. § 66.0409, has withdrawn authority from the City to regulate, either through its governing body or its sub-units (and without regard to the label it affixes to its regulation or manner of regulating), the subjects identified in the Local Regulation Statute in a manner that is more stringent than an analogous state statute. We also hold that the Concealed-Carry Statute, Wis. Stat. § 175.60, preempts the City's authority to restrict a licensee's right to carry concealed weapons on the City's buses so long as the licensee complies with the statute's requirements. Finally, we hold that neither the City nor any of its sub-units or employees may enforce the Rule to the extent it purports to prohibit carrying any knife or firearm (as defined by the Local Regulation Statute) or weapon (as defined by the Concealed-Carry Statute), so long as such carrying is not forbidden by (and is done in compliance with) the Vehicle Statute, Wis. Stat. § 167.30, the Concealed-Carry Statute, and all other statutes that may from time to time become applicable.
By the Court.—The decision of the court of appeals is reversed, and the cause is remanded to the circuit court for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

Wstar425

I got up to page 46, reading on my phone before I declared that was enough torture for one day.

I've said in the past that I would NEVER ride a bus in Madison, I guess that hasn't really changed much for me. So, next stop USSC?

Last edited:

Wstar425

The mayor actually believes the legislature is going to surrender their control over gun laws? I think the mayor lives in la-la land.

“We see no reason why it should not be permissible under the Constitution for us to do something incredibly reasonable,” Soglin said.

Why not, it's only common sense after all. I see no reason the Republican held Wi Legislature wouldn't see the error in their ways! Said no one ever, other than Soglin.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sounds like Wisconsin Carry had the services of a top-rated lawyer.

Listen to the oral arguments and read the case they blew a golden opportunity when they were begged by a couple of justices to turn this into a constitutional right to bears arms case instead of a simple violation of state law.

They kept on telling the court no it is not a constitutional issue.

Full article at the link

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/03/wisconsin-supreme-court-rules-city-has.html

Wisconsin Carry decided to focus on striking down the City of Madison weapon ban, and not to broaden their argument to constitutional issues. That may have been a tactical error.

Last edited:

Wstar425

The linked article currently makes no mention of appeal, but of amending the law.

When legal appeal is mentioned, be suspicious as the grounds for appeal are precise and limited.

Better read it again, first paragraph and the headline. I didn't write it. I happen to agree with you. His "appeal" would be to where, the US Supreme Court? Makes no mention of that. Poor reporting, or maybe he said he plans to appeal? He plans to "appeal" to the legislature to change the law, apparently.

From the article.
After the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that Madison can't prohibit passengers from carrying guns on Metro buses, Mayor Paul Soglin said he plans to !!!!APPEAL!!!!! to the state legislature to change the law.

Maybe you're using a different definition of appeal than the good Mayor, but it appears he most definitely said he plans to appeal.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

More news Soglin shoots blanks

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ans-shoot-down-changes-to-concealed-carry-law

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin is firing blanks if he thinks he can persuade the Legislature to give him and other city leaders the authority to prohibit guns on buses, Republican lawmakers told The Associated Press.

The state Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down Madison's policy banning guns on city buses. Gun rights groups cheered the decision. But not Soglin.

The mayor said at a news conference hours after the ruling that he'll ask the Legislature to change the state's concealed-carry law to allow cities to ban weapons on buses. But the gun-friendly Republicans who hold record majorities in the Legislature immediately shot down the idea.

Wstar425

Had some time to kill this morning so picked up the 3/9 edition of the Milwaukee Urinal Sentinel. No reports of this that I could find. Must be old news, or maybe bad news.

I did see Rumor is going to be at the MJS Sports Show at State Fair Park if anyone is going.

Rumor is sharing booth 141 with Dave Robinson, former Green Bay Packer linebacker from Super Bowls I and II, according to the MJS. Not sure what if any connection there is there? Owner Boyles says, and I quote "She belongs to all of us." Endquote.

Meaning I guess, if you are a Wisconsin resident and want a dog for a day, she's yours! No word on whether Dave Robinson belongs to anyone or not.......

I'm just kidding!

Last edited: