• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Caught Between a Cop and a Hard Head

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ok, let's get this straight: The cop is a he, an obtuse liberal. The hard head is a she and an over-the-top conservative. They're friends, and have been for a long time (decades). Zero romantic interest, just close friends. I happened on their scene about six years ago and tried playing peacemaker for a few months before I realized each one was trying to play me and my opinions against the other. I've been through enough Karpman Drama Triangle in my life thank you very much and bowed out for nearly three years. But, both are really interesting and engaging people, and our paths crossed again, so...

Well, four days ago we were all sitting around when my hard head conservative friend proclaimed she was going to start pre-emptively popping Muslims in response to some Muslim Imam's declaration that "Muslims have the right to take the property of filthy Christians and Jews". My obtuse liberal cop responded by saying he was going to be her arresting officer and would she like to enter a pre-emptive plea (? Never heard of that, but it made sense in light of her comments), because unless the guy committed a crime, she couldn't do squat.

I'm a conservative, but I'm siding with my liberal cop friend, at least on this particular point. Here was my response to the conversation:

We can't just shoot them because of his beliefs. If that were the case, we'd be breaking the law, same as him. The only reason I would shoot him is in defense of either self or property, commensurate with our local, county, state, and federal law.

We are, after all a Republic - i.e. a government of law. Says so not only in our Constitution, but also in each and every State Constitution. That's not to say, "If we follow the law everything will be just fine and dandy," as the law is not perfect. We're often called up to use good reason and sound judgement. On two occasions, two while flying and one while on the ground, I've had to weigh what the imperfect law said and what reality demanded, and reality won. All three times I was exonerated.

But I default to the law.

When I say, "two to the heart and one to the head," that's only IF he attempts to deprive me of life, limb, or property, and he's not of sane enough mind to respect the business end of my 9mm backed by my Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for precisely that purpose.

Both of them stared at me like I was some kind of Martian, blinked a few times, as if I'd invaded their personal space consisting solely of their less than witty repartee' and never-ending avoidance of a happy medium, and things just sort of deflated from there.

At that point, I realized these two cats had discovered a line of tension which they enjoyed surfing tangent to but technically off the Karpman Drama Triangle.

Well, Gee Whiz can I Pees It, I'm reasonably well-educated at multiple levels in the wide (and deep) levels of humanities, but I honestly did not see what might be coming from a "couple" who'd been bantering back and forth on the same issue for some 20 years.

Sounds a lot like Congress.

That observed, I ask you, what can we learn here about what's going on in our local, county, state, and federal election systems, why we elect the people we do, and why might we ought to start electing people who can actually get the job done instead of electing either who we (erroneously) think can get the job done, or worse, being suckered into a wrong vote by Demoncraps or not voting at all?

Last edited:

OC for ME

Think bacon...and home...or, you don't fire Santa Claus...

Then again, my Congress critter is Da Man...yours, not so much.

Vote your self interest and hopefully enough of your fellow voters have similar interests.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Both of them stared at me like I was some kind of Martian, blinked a few times, as if I'd invaded their personal space consisting solely of their less than witty repartee' and never-ending avoidance of a happy medium, and things just sort of deflated from there.

At that point, I realized these two cats had discovered a line of tension which they enjoyed surfing tangent to but technically off the Karpman Drama Triangle.

Well, Gee Whiz can I Pees It, I'm reasonably well-educated at multiple levels in the wide (and deep) levels of humanities, but I honestly did not see what might be coming from a "couple" who'd been bantering back and forth on the same issue for some 20 years. ...
Meaning what, that they continually spoke in the abstract, but you thought they were serious?

Explain please!

OC for ME

The triangle only is valid as a "philosophy" if you desire to be one of the sides. Sounds like you wanted to be there even though three years ago you seemed to have known better. Get yourself a stick and bob yourself on the head until enlightenment is achieved.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have a lot of different people that come to me for my worthless opinion covering a prolifera of subjects.
But, I tell them all that I'm not a marriage counselor in any way, shape or form.

utbagpiper

Banned
Ok, let's get this straight:

Your two friends sound a lot like this group and many other internet chat groups. They like to argue for the sake of arguing. They simply enjoy the benefit of knowing each other personally and do their thing face-to-face. That gives them the benefit of knowing the other person is a human they like, rather than just words on a screen. It also helps to maintain certain boundaries such that friendship isn't destroyed by someone going out of their implicitly agreed upon bounds.

That observed, I ask you, what can we learn here about what's going on in our local, county, state, and federal election systems, why we elect the people we do, and why might we ought to start electing people who can actually get the job done instead of electing either who we (erroneously) think can get the job done, or worse, being suckered into a wrong vote by Demoncraps or not voting at all?

Again, we learn the same thing we can observe here. Most people would prefer to see themselves as being right, than to actually do right.

How many times has any mention of actually doing something to advance RKBA/OC here resulted in someone posting Janet Jackson's video of "What have you done for me lately?"

We might also observe the strength of tribalism. Despite their differences, your two friends are very close; you are the outsider. Guess who loses? Same as when a cop shows up after the battered wife calls 911 but then sees her man being cuffed. Same thing too often here. Some folks are absolutely loathe to admit when a poster they don't like takes a position with which they obviously agree, perhaps making a very strong case for that position. Tribalism trumps even being right.

That tribalism drives a lot of voting and a lot of reaction to what a given politician does. If Bush expands the ability of the federal government to snoop on citizens, the left goes ballistic while too many on the right yawn. When Obama uses and expands upon those powers to do more of the same thing, the right goes ballistic while too many on the left ignore or deny. Now that a guy with an "R" (however nominally) behind his name is back in the Oval office, huge swaths of people switch sides again.

Good luck to all of us. I fear the Republic is in need trouble because of the (lack of real) character of the electorate which is reflected in those we elect to serve us including Clinton, Bush, Hillary, and Trump.

Charles

since9

Campaign Veteran
Meaning what, that they continually spoke in the abstract, but you thought they were serious?

Explain please!

utbagpipernailed it. They like to argue for the sake of arguing. Kind of surprised me, as my family wasn't raised that way. Sure, we discuss things. We don't, however, like to argue.

:)