• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What carry gun do you carry?

solus

ok, let's clear the air then move back on topic:

low cost firearms, aka Saturday night specials as well as the entire GCAct, was was entirely a knee jerk concept designed to keep firearms out of the hands of black citizens, especially with the ethnic unrest in this country's inner cities.

importation of cheep(ly) made and cost small pocket concealable firearms were being obtained and carried by black citizens in the inner cities and scared the h3ll out of those white folk in control of our country greatest cities and country.

the concept kinda didn't work as the riots became the norm and devastated our country.

so keep talking about status symbols and cheep, ugly, and so forth as you are regaling the HP to Saturday night special status!!

IMHO, a person armed with a SR22 is in the same status as being armed with a Kimber or, let's see what model was the bloke bragn' about oh ya ~ Carver. bottom line, the individual with the SR22 can defend themselves and that is the point of carrying a firearm, defensive purposes RIGHT!!

ipse

HPmatt

I enjoy my non-descript black gun with a black leather holster. No need to stand out, just a EDC on non-descript black gun belt.
I like my Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm; fixing to try out the new Walther PPS M2 when my finger is good to go next month.

bc.cruiser

I think a 4' blued Colt Python is beautiful, and a Hi Point C-9 is ugly, does that make me a "snob"? I own and like my VZ2008, does that make me not a snob.

Bye the way, I AM considering buying Hi Point JHP45 and a 4595TS Carbine.

A 4 FOOT blued Python would be AWESOME!

I have the HP .45 combo; I love the carbine, but the pistol is meant for buy-back action. The locals give out $200 gift cards for handguns. After a few of those, I can trade up thanks to the church and police.

redhawk44

ok, let's clear the air then move back on topic:

low cost firearms, aka Saturday night specials as well as the entire GCAct, was was entirely a knee jerk concept designed to keep firearms out of the hands of black citizens, especially with the ethnic unrest in this country's inner cities.

importation of cheep(ly) made and cost small pocket concealable firearms were being obtained and carried by black citizens in the inner cities and scared the h3ll out of those white folk in control of our country greatest cities and country.

the concept kinda didn't work as the riots became the norm and devastated our country.

so keep talking about status symbols and cheep, ugly, and so forth as you are regaling the HP to Saturday night special status!!

IMHO, a person armed with a SR22 is in the same status as being armed with a Kimber or, let's see what model was the bloke bragn' about oh ya ~ Carver. bottom line, the individual with the SR22 can defend themselves and that is the point of carrying a firearm, defensive purposes RIGHT!!

ipse

Solus

Went back and read all posts. You are the only one who has made any reference to HPs being in the same category as, so called, Saturday night specials. No direct reference to "status" symbol(s) either, so for the purpose of the replies in this thread, those are straw man. Maybe there is a history here on this forum I am not aware of though.

FYI, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in '64, El Toro in '65, carried a 4" Python in a carry on bag coming back from overseas on Braniff Airlines and through customs in '67, and was stationed in Oakland in '68. Yes, very different and bad times for all.

redhawk44

A 4 FOOT blued Python would be AWESOME!

I have the HP .45 combo; I love the carbine, but the pistol is meant for buy-back action. The locals give out $200 gift cards for handguns. After a few of those, I can trade up thanks to the church and police.

My apologies. INCH. " " " "

Thanks for the the input on the combo.

Last edited:

solus

Solus

Went back and read all posts. You are the only one who has made any reference to HPs being in the same category as, so called, Saturday night specials. No direct reference to "status" symbol(s) either, so for the purpose of the replies in this thread, those are straw man. Maybe there is a history here on this forum I am not aware of though.

FYI, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in '64, El Toro in '65, carried a 4" Python in a carry on bag coming back from overseas on Braniff Airlines and through customs in '67, and was stationed in Oakland in '68. Yes, very different and bad times for all.

sorry, but you yourself commented, "... not because the are cheap..." & "...usually cheap and inexpensive are synonymous!" so from your perspective "I" was the only one who made reference to cost - really ?

last i checked sat nite specials were so named cuz they were cheaply made and to buy!

sorry you missed the connection.

ipse

bbMurphy

From what I remember from the articles and stories published, the Saturday night specials were cheaply made with mass produced, stamped metal parts that didn't always quite fit together correctly. Their operation was unpredictable and many of them blew up in the hand of the person trying to shoot it.

I would NOT equate a SNS with a HP in any way. HP's are inexpensive but when taken care of, very reliable. I've put over 1000 rounds through mine with no ftf or hang/misfires.

EDC? CZ P07 Duty for CC/OC. OC only, Zastava EZ40.

redhawk44

sorry, but you yourself commented, "... not because the are cheap..." & "...usually cheap and inexpensive are synonymous!" so from your perspective "I" was the only one who made reference to cost - really ?

last i checked sat nite specials were so named cuz they were cheaply made and to buy!

sorry you missed the connection.

ipse

You are arguing out of context and conflating.

Additionally, your statement "sorry you missed the connection" , which I believe you use in some form frequently, is insincere passive aggressive sarcasm.

Last edited:

solus

You are arguing out of context and conflating.

Additionally, your statement "sorry you missed the connection" , which I believe you use in some form frequently, is insincere passive aggressive sarcasm.

alas, there you are unfortunately incorrect as you specifically stated, "solus...'YOU' are the only one...."
i never stated the HP was cheap & inexpensive, what i did do was point out the correlation of cheap/inexpensive handguns to the infamous sat nite specials!

as for your belief i used what you perceived as insincere, passive aggressive, and sarcastic phrase (in some form) frequently...no, don't actually, but i will unequivocally state this time i sincerely stated the comment towards you!

ipse

solus

From what I remember from the articles and stories published, the Saturday night specials were cheaply made with mass produced, stamped metal parts that didn't always quite fit together correctly. Their operation was unpredictable and many of them blew up in the hand of the person trying to shoot it.

I would NOT equate a SNS with a HP in any way. HP's are inexpensive but when taken care of, very reliable. I've put over 1000 rounds through mine with no ftf or hang/misfires.

EDC? CZ P07 Duty for CC/OC. OC only, Zastava EZ40.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special
quote:
The phrase Saturday night special is a colloquial term used in the United States and Canada for any inexpensive handgun, especially a mousegun/pocket pistol. Saturday night specials have been defined as compact, inexpensive, small-caliber handguns with perceived low-quality; however, there is no official definition of "Saturday night special" under US or Canadian federal law. unquote.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...rday-night-special-no-gun-hate-please.144641/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms
quote:

Hi-Point semi-automatic pistols are polymer framed and generally regarded as simple, inexpensive handguns, unquote

ipse

bbMurphy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special
quote:
The phrase Saturday night special is a colloquial term used in the United States and Canada for any inexpensive handgun, especially a mousegun/pocket pistol. Saturday night specials have been defined as compact, inexpensive, small-caliber handguns with perceived low-quality; however, there is no official definition of "Saturday night special" under US or Canadian federal law. unquote.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...rday-night-special-no-gun-hate-please.144641/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms
quote:

Hi-Point semi-automatic pistols are polymer framed and generally regarded as simple, inexpensive handguns, unquote

ipse

You quoted it yourself. A HP 9mm is NOT a small-caliber handgun as is any 9mm handgun. How are you going to try and weasel out of this one?

solus

You quoted it yourself. A HP 9mm is NOT a small-caliber handgun as is any 9mm handgun. How are you going to try and weasel out of this one?

let's see, wiki description's definition stated, "...ANY inexpensive [comma] example listed [period]"

wiki's hi point description stated, " ...simple, inexpensive..."

finally, as pointed out in the wiki's SNS commentary included in my post, "...there is no official definition of SNS...by US and Canada officials.

surely bbmurphy, et al., if the might of these two governments cannot agree on such simple definition I surely do not have a bloody thing to, how did you state it, oh ya 'weasel' out of anything, now do I?

that stated, you will be glad to know i won't accuse you of arguing out of context or conflating like some might.

ipse

WalkingWolf

They don't have a definition of SNS but instead rules concerning the melting point of metal components on metal parts. Zamak guns are usually inexpensive, and guns like the Rohm were Zamak. BATF rules ended the importation of most Zamak guns. I believe the Walther P22 has a Zamak slide, but it may be made in the US, not positive though.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I don't think most people think of the Hi Points as SNS. While I understand the idea of a drawing a comparison and I did think of that when making earlier comments, I tried to word carefully to avoid such a comparison.

bbMurphy

I agree that there is no exact definition of a SNS. Never said that there was. I pointed out in your quoted post that the definition described the colloquial definition as 'any inexpensive handgun'. Yes, the HP qualifies if that were the only criteria. However, the quote goes on to say 'especially a mousegun/pocket pistol. ... defined as compact, inexpensive, small-caliber and with perceived low quality'. The quote is paraphrased but includes all salient points.

So using a tally board method, let's see if the HP qualifies as a SNS...

Inexpensive:
Yes. No arguement.
Mousegun/Pocket pistol:No way. If you put that anvil in your pocket it would probably rip the seams out in very short order.
Compact:Again, not in any stretch of the imagination could one describe a HP as compact.
Small-caliber:No. Largest caliber I could find defined as 'small caliber' was .32 and smaller. While this isn't definitive, I couldn't find anywhere that a 9mm was considered to be a small-caliber handgun.
Perceived low-quality:No. Ugly, most definitely but ugly doesn't equal low-quality. Again, with over 1000 rounds through mine with no problems, I consider my HP to much better than average quality.

So about the only qualifying factor is that it is inexpensive. Does that equate to a SNS? In your mind, only you can answer that. To me, it doesn't. But everyone has a differing opinion on just about anything. With no exact definition of a SNS, it's a purely objective term.

Last edited:

redhawk44

alas, there you are unfortunately incorrect as you specifically stated, "solus...'YOU' are the only one...."
i never stated the HP was cheap & inexpensive, what i did do was point out the correlation of cheap/inexpensive handguns to the infamous sat nite specials!

as for your belief i used what you perceived as insincere, passive aggressive, and sarcastic phrase (in some form) frequently...no, don't actually, but i will unequivocally state this time i sincerely stated the comment towards you!

ipse

Here is your statement; “so keep talking about status symbols and cheep, ugly, and so forth as you are regaling the HP to Saturday night special status!!”. - Any regaling sir, was in reference to HP’s size and visual properties. Nowhere, did anyone equate HPs to the same category of quality, reliability or use of what we commonly refer to as SNSs!!.

I NEVER stated you said HPs were cheap and inexpensive. My statement was; “You are the only one who has made any reference to HPs being in the same category as, so called, Saturday night specials.”, - so here you offer an edited quote to justify your position.

In my statement "... not because they are cheap..." , cheap was my personal reference to quality, whereas, my statement “ usually cheap and inexpensive are synonymous!" was my observation of many others usage of the two terms interchangeably. - Again, you conflated.

As my post history reflects, I am not one who usually engages in internet intellectual jousting. I especially find it less than stimulating when it becomes a tit for tat, or gotcha engagement. You have a fine evening. I am done here Mod(s).

solus

They don't have a definition of SNS but instead rules concerning the melting point of metal components on metal parts. Zamak guns are usually inexpensive, and guns like the Rohm were Zamak. BATF rules ended the importation of most Zamak guns. I believe the Walther P22 has a Zamak slide, but it may be made in the US, not positive though.

even glocks were initially ban by import but modified their design to qualify for importation. walther and rohm moved manufacture to the states to avoid the importation ban established by the GCA.

ipse

solus

redhawk44, when you get finished chasing your contextual word tail around, let me know and i'll scoop up the puddle of ghee in the chamber pot and dispose of it in the industrial loo.

ipse