• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOD DIRECTIVE 5210.56 ARMING AND THE USE OF FORCE (November 18, 2016)

ET1SSUSN

Sorry if there is already a discussion on this topic.

Anyone here have experience with our DoD Installations and concealed carry? The "Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence" issued a directive in November of 2016 "authorizing" the arming of DoD personnel while not in a duty status. This included DoD Civilians for the purposes of Self Defense. My basic question is... This does not override the often quoted 18 USC Section 930 but rather brings to light paragraphs in this section of the code that are not very well known. Specifically para. (d)3. (below) which states "the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes." as an exemption to para (a). I fail to see how CO's "policy/rules" constitute an enforceable law. Self Defense is a lawful purpose. If one were to carry onto an installation and by some crazy chance be caught, what would the charge be? Violation of CO's policy since the 18USC Section 930 clearly allows it. I guess base access could be removed as it is also based on CO's discretion. I'd be happy if they allowed personnel to car carry and lock it in your POV when on base. I should be authorized to carry my EDC anywhere I can take my POV. Note the sections below that are to be "posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility". They intentionally omit para (d)3 (Not a lawyer but interested in your opinions.)

18 USC Section 930 (normally posted at all entrances)
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
(e)
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.
(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Attachments

• Concelaed Carry on Base 521056_dodd_2016.pdf
    205 KB · Views: 74

solus

http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/show...-longer-to-be-guns-free-zones&highlight=carry

welcome to the forum and your kind attention is directed to the cite above covering relevant member discussion on the subject!

forgive me, but was there a question in your wall of quoted text i might have missed regarding your post on the subject?

bottom line, retirees are still not allow to have firearms in their vehicle and each military facility makes their own guidance for their military member(s) and authorized civilians!

hope that assists.

ipse

might contact your jag or security force mgmt overseers for specific guidance.

Last edited:

ET1SSUSN

So, I guess this whole thing boils down to Base Commander preference. That being said, if he is able to "authorize it", how could it be against 18 USC 930? He has no authority to modify the USC. If a DoD Civilian or AD were to CC on base and be found out, what would the charges be? I guess the base commander could revoke access to the facility by taking your badge but beyond that???? What would the charges be? Would the citation read "Base Commander doesn't like it" so we arrested him? I'm still a fan of 18USC930(d)(3) and believe that self defense is a lawful purpose.

I've made some calls to the Security Department at my local facility and the "Commander Navy Region Northwest" has decided against any change in policy. The base PD Duty LT actually hung up on my after yelling "DO NOT BRING A WEAPON ON MY BASE". I guess I'll have to have a conversation with Navy Legal on this topic to see what they say.

Question: What would they charge you with?

solus

18 USC 930 only applies to "federal facilities" as defined therein.

It has no application to "on base" in general.

KB, OP has switched to posted in the original thread on this subject started back in nov 16 which is cited in my post here.

your query is addressed there...

ipse

mikeyb

18 USC 930 only applies to "federal facilities" as defined therein.

It has no application to "on base" in general.

Last I heard, the Navy is part of the Federal government, despite the Constitution's words.
(1)The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

I would say that exercising your 2A rights is a lawful purpose. But IANAL.

countryclubjoe

So, I guess this whole thing boils down to Base Commander preference. That being said, if he is able to "authorize it", how could it be against 18 USC 930? He has no authority to modify the USC. If a DoD Civilian or AD were to CC on base and be found out, what would the charges be? I guess the base commander could revoke access to the facility by taking your badge but beyond that???? What would the charges be? Would the citation read "Base Commander doesn't like it" so we arrested him? I'm still a fan of 18USC930(d)(3) and believe that self defense is a lawful purpose.

I've made some calls to the Security Department at my local facility and the "Commander Navy Region Northwest" has decided against any change in policy. The base PD Duty LT actually hung up on my after yelling "DO NOT BRING A WEAPON ON MY BASE". I guess I'll have to have a conversation with Navy Legal on this topic to see what they say.

Question: What would they charge you with?

" Do not bring a weapon on my base".. Words, clearly of a petty tyrant.
My .02
Regards
CCJ

Roaming East

ten years in the USAF stationed at both army and AF postings...the go to is no. you are not permitted to carry on base and if MP/SF bust you, its a lotta hassle explaining it and you will almost always be disciplined. If you're in the barracks/dorms you arent even permitted to HAVE a firearm unless it is secured in the base armory when not in use. When the firearm is retrieved it must be kept locked and unloaded while on base until you are at an approved facility to use it i.e. the firing range, or off post.

If you live in base housing its a little bit different. Some bases like Shaw AFB and Pope AAF still required armory registration and lock up, while some like Langley let you keep them in your residence. either way you still werent allowed to carry armed. concealed or not.

solus

ten years in the USAF stationed at both army and AF postings...the go to is no. you are not permitted to carry on base and if MP/SF bust you, its a lotta hassle explaining it and you will almost always be disciplined. If you're in the barracks/dorms you arent even permitted to HAVE a firearm unless it is secured in the base armory when not in use. When the firearm is retrieved it must be kept locked and unloaded while on base until you are at an approved facility to use it i.e. the firing range, or off post.

If you live in base housing its a little bit different. Some bases like Shaw AFB and Pope AAF still required armory registration and lock up, while some like Langley let you keep them in your residence. either way you still werent allowed to carry armed. concealed or not.

guess airman, you have not been stationed at the right bases after the DoD Directive was released in Nov '16. (i cannot nor will i speak about the opportunities to have or carry on the other service's installations)

go visit MPF, put in for, and get stationed down at Seymour-Johnson in rural, religious, eastern NC, and discover, while there are mandated hoops to jump through, the airman can 'have' their handguns available to them while on base!

further, being an open carry gold state, as you know, don't need a privilege card to carry!

after you, and if so applicable, your family get settled in this area, the offer is on the table for dinner in beautiful downtown Goldsboro ~ my treat!

or if bored some afternoon, climb on 95 and whiz on down w/the offer for dinner still on the table!

ipse

oh, roaming, might ck out the link in post two of this thread where the main discussion on the directive was held after it was first released by DoD!

Last edited:

Roaming East

guess airman, you have not been stationed at the right bases after the DoD Directive was released in Nov '16. (i cannot nor will i speak about the opportunities to have or carry on the other service's installations)

go visit MPF, put in for, and get stationed down at Seymour-Johnson in rural, religious, eastern NC, and discover, while there are mandated hoops to jump through, the airman can 'have' their handguns available to them while on base!

further, being an open carry gold state, as you know, don't need a privilege card to carry!

after you, and if so applicable, your family get settled in this area, the offer is on the table for dinner in beautiful downtown Goldsboro ~ my treat!

or if bored some afternoon, climb on 95 and whiz on down w/the offer for dinner still on the table!

ipse

oh, roaming, might ck out the link in post two of this thread where the main discussion on the directive was held after it was first released by DoD!

well i got out in 2014 so my info and experience are a bit outdated. Goldsboro > Fayetteville btw

solus

well i got out in 2014 so my info and experience are a bit outdated. Goldsboro > Fayetteville btw

thanks for your service, but Pope Field isn't considered an AF installation whatsoever since it falls under the direct oversight of the blasted USA :banghead: who believe the assigned airman need the same babysitting the soldiers do!!

offer for dinner still stand tho...

ipse

Last edited: