• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Future of OC dinners

speed41ae

For various reasons I have missed a lot of dinners, but I feel that this is a important function of the Richmond gun rights movement. I am willing to step up to the plate. I thought that that HLH and 67GT390FB were also part of the process. I will work with them or alone. I will do whatever it takes to keep monthly dinners going.

July at Hickey Notch sounds good to me. I am going to suggest June 13th at the Hibachi Sushi And Supreme Buffet at 8087 W Broad St, Henrico, VA 23294.

va_tazdad

would ya do me a personal favor ye old phart...take your meds, rest as your restlessness will allow, and get better ~ period!

truly, the rest will fall into place. i would volunteer to organize in your stead, but ya all would honestly get tired of eating at five guys style or cheep tex-mex establishments every month :eek:

ipse

Grape, rest? Hahahahahahahaha Are we talking about the same guy? Thin fella with a "purdy gun"? Rest??? Didn't know that word was in his vocabulary.

Sadly, I am not able to step up as I tend to get drafted for work and usually don't get to attend. Of the 5 I have, it was a great time. Breakfasts were easier, but since January I have only made 5 of those.

The OPC/CRT (Olde Pharts Club/Cardio Recovery Team) has been seriously reduced since our friends departed this Earth. ;>)

Marco

My health is not good.
Take care of yourself!!!!

the comments below aren't directed at any one person

If y'all moved the day to a weekend/Saturday(once in a while) vs the usual Tuesday maybe more folks might attend.

I see more folks OC'ing now than ever before, all over the state, most have never been to OCDO.

I'll leave it as, however one chooses to carry or not is their personal decision.
Carrying is not a fashion statement or trend (imho) but the purdy gun/gear might be.

I will make an honest attempt to join a few Richmond area dinners and start hosting a few closer to home as well.

Last edited:

The Truth

I really hate to see the original core begin to dissolve, but such is life. Only thing that's constant is change.

Unfortunately I have been overwhelmed with personal affairs and work as of late. It's not easy being a single Dad and basically NEVER getting to be social due to my workload/work hours/sleep schedule/kid time. It's tough to meet people when the "meat" of my day is normal people's sleepy time.

There's much more I could say as to the decline of the dinners/new posters here, but for the sake of politics I'll keep my mouth shut. The subject seems to be well talked about anyway with no real change or result from the communication, so I see it as pointless to openly talk about. What does a company usually do when new ownership takes over? They trim the fat. They cut people that may actually be valuable to the company but are not compatible with the company's core philosophies or implementation of policy. Sometimes you have to lose a few good ones for more good ones to come in and take their place, but if there is no vacuum created because there is no turnover, there can be no new ideas.

What NEEDS to happen is something along the lines of breaking up with a really quality, smart girl who you're just not compatible with. If she doesn't take the hints that you aren't interested it's difficult to be honest because feelings will be hurt and you want it to end amicably, but sometimes it's just time for people to go.

PM incoming, Dale.

Lyndsy Simon

I've been out of pocket on this site for a while, but I have been meaning to set up a monthly breakfast in Charlottesville. I have a location already confirmed (Cavalier Diner), but haven't moved yet to make it happen.

Let's plan on having it June 3, at 9am. I can be reached here, or by email at lyndsy@lyndsysimon.com. I'd appreciate an RSVP, but I'll be there whether or not anyone else shows up so don't let that stop you :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been out of pocket on this site for a while, but I have been meaning to set up a monthly breakfast in Charlottesville. I have a location already confirmed (Cavalier Diner), but haven't moved yet to make it happen.

Let's plan on having it June 3, at 9am. I can be reached here, or by email at lyndsy@lyndsysimon.com. I'd appreciate an RSVP, but I'll be there whether or not anyone else shows up so don't let that stop you :)

Posting the exact same thing is considered spamming. Better to post a link.

Lyndsy Simon

Posting the exact same thing is considered spamming. Better to post a link.

Your forum, your call. I posted it as its own thread for visibility, but it's obviously related to this. Being an established member that's obviously not here to spam, it never occurred to me that it might be an issue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Your forum, your call. I posted it as its own thread for visibility, but it's obviously related to this. Being an established member that's obviously not here to spam, it never occurred to me that it might be an issue.
OCDO belongs to Mike and John - it is not my forum.

There have been those who tried to post the same thing to all 50 states - no more of a rule violation.

Last edited:

Tanner

Random quote

Often I think about the support I have gotten from a bunch of old guys I eventually came to call friends. Not just in learning, and what I would consider a reeducation, but in genuine interest in my well being. The calls, messages and invitations to do things like going to a gun show, or eat, the zoo, stage a coup de grâce at a local library then eat. It weighs me down to see them being spoken of as "dissolved".

Yet I am reminded of a random quote that I do not recall anyting about other than the words. "When we can no longer change the situation around us, we are challenged to change ourselves"

I've spent a very long time away from the forum for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned already. But I still believe in the spirit of what made the past dinners and breakfasts so great. I think it is an incredible opportunity to help anyone who is interested, and have a good time while doing it, and gaining a few pounds in the process. (With the exception of people like Grape who seem to eat only to loose weight)

Isn't there anything we can do that gets new people involved?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Often I think about the support I have gotten from a bunch of old guys I eventually came to call friends. Not just in learning, and what I would consider a reeducation, but in genuine interest in my well being. The calls, messages and invitations to do things like going to a gun show, or eat, the zoo, stage a coup de grâce at a local library then eat. It weighs me down to see them being spoken of as "dissolved".

Yet I am reminded of a random quote that I do not recall anyting about other than the words. "When we can no longer change the situation around us, we are challenged to change ourselves"

I've spent a very long time away from the forum for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned already. But I still believe in the spirit of what made the past dinners and breakfasts so great. I think it is an incredible opportunity to help anyone who is interested, and have a good time while doing it, and gaining a few pounds in the process. (With the exception of people like Grape who seem to eat only to loose weight)

Sure is - come back and bring a friend + have the friend bring another.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I'll make one specific suggestion based on something that was brought personally to my attention.

When a newcomer joins the group for dinner, introduce yourselves. Ask about him/her, how s/he heard about the group, etc. Avoid the inside jokes - there is nothing less welcoming than being told "you had to be there". Go out of your way to welcome the newomer.

It's not every day that someone sees a posting here and decides to attend, especially without notifying anyone in advance, but it does happen.

The Wolfhound

I must agree

Tess, you hit this one dead on. I have been an occasional but long term attendee. While I might find many familiar faces at a dinner, few could I call by name. Those who know me, no that I am NOT the most outgoing type of person. I Imagine that not very many folks at the dinner could call me by name or by my forum name (unless they have seen me with my furry beasties), either. A new visitor might not get the best of us with this history. I shall try to do better.