• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stand up and be counted

The Wolfhound

The choice is clear

An avowed anti-gunner or someone who at least claims to be pro. Sit on your couch at your peril. :banghead:
Your gun rights are truly at stake. If you ignore this election, the results ARE your fault. Do not let the "perfect" be the enemy of "good enough".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I loathe Republican establishment as much as I disagree with Dems. I dunno if I can stomach voting for EdGe.
Unfortunately, then you will become part of the problem.

If you want to see a strong independant candidate, things must be put in motion now for the future.

Dave Brat is a shining example of a staunch conservative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brat

ManoftheSea

Part of the problem is the limited choice presented, due to the influence of the two-party system. If you want me to fight against the anti-gunner, then I need you to fight for such things as Instant-Runoff Voting. Give a third-party a chance to be heard without spoiling your Republican's chance.

Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of "we can do better"

2a4all

If you read the NBC article, you'll see that the issues of greatest concern to Virginia voters do not include gun rights.

Clearly, those of us who do hold gun rights as a high priority will vote accordingly. However, we don't have enough votes to swing the election without some serious help from those who place social issues very high on their list.

The firewall will be getting Jill Vogel into the Lt Gov seat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Standing Up to Be Counted

<chuckle> I don't have to stand up to be counted--they've got my [tax-payer ID] number and will never let me forget it.

I can sit down and they will still count me. Heck, I can even lay down, and they will still count me.

And, if that isn't bad enough, every ten years they send me a form, requiring me to enumerate myself. (This under the guise of proportionately afflicting me with a congressman.)

No, <chuckle>, I don't have to stand up to be counted. My rulers are going to take very good care to count me regardless of anything I do.

----------------------------------------------

Some would say--and I've had this argument crammed down my throat on this board and off--that I have a responsibility to vote. According to the forcefulness of the language sometimes, it is my unconditional duty to participate in the workings of this democratic republic by voting, and I am just ever so slightly short of a scumbag for declining the invitation.

I beg to differ.

For those who care to read further, here, in part, is why.

Government has lied to me every day of my life. Sometimes twice a day.

Politicians the most. (But, bureaucrats, spokesliars, and appellate courts are not far enough behind to avoid being included in the accusation.)

So, now, let's examine carefully.

Even the throat-crammers demand I acknowledge that I am a member of society--that is the premise underlying their demand I contribute by voting. Fair enough. I'll take that argument! I am a member of society. I am a member of the nation. But, because I say so--not because they demand it. (Ever notice how lots and lots of people are more than happy to tell you what your responsibilities are to society, but damn few are willing to let you decide for yourself?)

Now, being a responsible member of society--and remember, that is even according to their own argument-how can I responsibly exercise my obligation (their view) to vote?

Well, lets see.

Being a responsible member of society, and being unwilling to inflict a jerk, liar, panderer, or power-leech bent on self-interest at the expense of the decent, hardworking people for whom I feel kindred-ship and responsibility, I must be very careful for whom I vote.

It can't be done.

It would take the investigative resources of the FBI to gather the back round facts on a candidate before I could vote for him responsibly.

There is no way I could pull the lever and inflict a candidate on a fellow human being simply because that candidate spouted some words that sounded great. Not in the face of my life experience where...government has lied to me every day of my life and sometimes twice a day.

No. Before I could pull a lever and try to inflict that candidate on a fellow human being--meaning you, reader--I would need to be very, very sure he was a good guy. Nope, I ain't gonna take chances with your rights. Nope. I ain't gonna take chances with your economic prosperity. I already know the vast majority of them are liars; I cannot possibly ignore that or shove it aside.

Last edited:

scouser

Find myself drawn to agreeing with the sentiments expressed by both Mr Thundar and Mr Citizen above. People should vote for who their conscience tells them is right, NOT for who someone else tells them to vote for. I've yet to hear of a politician who wouldn't serve any of the general public better by being sent on a one way trip to Uranus. Not one of them cares about you, why should you support them?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Find myself drawn to agreeing with the sentiments expressed by both Mr Thundar and Mr Citizen above. People should vote for who their conscience tells them is right, NOT for who someone else tells them to vote for. I've yet to hear of a politician who wouldn't serve any of the general public better by being sent on a one way trip to Uranus. Not one of them cares about you, why should you support them?
The problem being that voting for someone who cannot win is tantamount to voting for the least desireable.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Here we go again ... promoting candidates that have NO chance at winning election. When will we ever learn?

Probably right about the same time others quit deciding for whom we should vote, and practically calling us enemies if we don't vote for the candidate who agrees with us on one issue and has abhorrent stances on some others. I was hoping to come back here and not face that attitude, at least so soon after the primaries, but it was a vain hope.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Probably right about the same time others quit deciding for whom we should vote, and practically calling us enemies if we don't vote for the candidate who agrees with us on one issue and has abhorrent stances on some others. I was hoping to come back here and not face that attitude, at least so soon after the primaries, but it was a vain hope.

Tess, my friend, we've had this conversation before and I understand your position. Please vote for whoever you feel most comfortable with, but if that person has virtually no chance of being elected please understand that it dilutes the ability to elect someone who could actually be elected and who could prevent another McAulliffe-type regime. What must by uppermost in our minds is preventing Northam from becoming Governor.