• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun Violence" vs "Self Defense"

since9

Campaign Veteran
An argument ensued over this article on gun violence. My opponent was saying something along the lines of, "if you defend yourself with a gun, you're committing gun violence the same as the criminal."

Ok, aside from her obvious flub, here's how I tried explaining it to her:

Defending one's self against a violent attack is not the same as committing "gun violence," even if you use a firearm in the act of self-defense.

If the attacker used a firearm in committing the violent crime, then that is indeed "gun violence."

The difference is that the criminal, in perpetrating the violent crime, is committing violence, whereas the defender is merely using whatever means are at his or her disposal to defend against a violent, criminal act.

I know many of you think it's impossible to get through to these people, but I've done just that on many occasions. Doesn't mean I'm not looking for better ways to approach it, however. I'm always open to suggestions.