• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC reports

solus

3 of us had breakfast at Nick's in Westland shopping center. A couple of google eyes, but nothing serious. The owners and staff know us so well, we are addressed by our first names.

Went to Walmart on Parham Rd where I picked up my needs and a few wants. On the way out, I was assaulted by the receipt checker when I didn't hove to and present my papers. Most of you know how I feel about having to prove legal ownership of my personal possessions and are aware of Walmart's official policy on store security.

When I did not stop for the "excuse me, sir" but simply responded "no thank you," the lady in question rapped me sharply 7 or 8 times on the shoulder from behind which drew an immediate exclamation from me - "Don't touch me again!

I proceeded to put MY belongings in my truck under the watchful eye of the checker. Then went back inside and had a satisfactory conversation with the assistant store manager. As I left he was not so patiently explaining the limits of security theater according to company policy.

They have a problem with shrinkage, but laying on of hands is not the solution unless they wish to make a donation to my Ram's restoration.

Grape, please be careful, as VA, as do the majority of the states in this Union, have broad 'shopkeeper's privilege' criteria on the official statute books ~ most important they are exempt from civil liability (8.01-226.9) which extend to in the store or near the store.

Even the parking lot attendants are considered agents of the merchant (18.2-106)

Good news they can only detain you for an hour (18.2-105.1): "A merchant, agent or employee of the merchant, who has probable cause to believe that a person has shoplifted in violation of § 18.2-95 or § 18.2-96 or § 18.2-103, on the premises of the merchant, may detain such person for a period not to exceed one hour pending arrival of a law-enforcement officer."

Bad news, I was unable to ascertain how or what level of force constrains the agents of the merchant may use to "detain" customers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape, please be careful, as VA, as do the majority of the states in this Union, have broad 'shopkeeper's privilege' criteria on the official statute books ~ most important they are exempt from civil liability (8.01-226.9) which extend to in the store or near the store.

Even the parking lot attendants are considered agents of the merchant (18.2-106)

Good news they can only detain you for an hour (18.2-105.1): "A merchant, agent or employee of the merchant, who has probable cause to believe that a person has shoplifted in violation of § 18.2-95 or § 18.2-96 or § 18.2-103, on the premises of the merchant, may detain such person for a period not to exceed one hour pending arrival of a law-enforcement officer."

Bad news, I was unable to ascertain how or what level of force constrains the agents of the merchant may use to "detain" customers.

The in store manager agreed with me that there should be no physical contact at all and that such contact would be at least assault.

wrearick

Also, simply refusing to provide the receipt does not constitute probable cause in my book, in that same book the merchant would not be shielded from a law suit if they attempted to detain somebody on that grounds alone. This behavior equates to everyone is guilty and can not leave the store until they prove they are not guilty.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Years ago I owned a pair of shoes that ended up being the culprit that sounded the alarm when I exited certain stores - the chip in them had not been neutralized when I bought them apparently.

My point being are we to be required to prove ownership of what we are wearing? How about my wristwatch?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Breakfast at Golden Corral to jump start my day.

Went by the expanded Wawa on Rt. 10 near Meadowbrook HS for a quick stop to replenish caloric intake.

Finished up my day at Capt D's with a nice kettle of fish.

No one ran and hide at the sight of my purdy gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did the early morning backstroke to Burger King at 4700 Jeff Davis Hwy for a sausage biscuit and grape jam - was sooo good that I had another.

A Richmond LEO was there eating also, but didn't react in a negative fashion.

At the counter, another customer made the statement that people would be hiding behind me if anything bad happened. Better that they should get their own I replied - he nodded in the affirmative.

As a side note - wonder when there will be a demand made to rename Jefferson Davis highway? Our history is being aborted - I do not approve.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Did the early morning backstroke to Burger King at 4700 Jeff Davis Hwy for a sausage biscuit and grape jam - was sooo good that I had another.

A Richmond LEO was there eating also, but didn't react in a negative fashion.

At the counter, another customer made the statement that people would be hiding behind me if anything bad happened. Better that they should get their own I replied - he nodded in the affirmative.

As a side note - wonder when there will be a demand made to rename Jefferson Davis highway? Our history is being aborted - I do not approve.
And why would he? After all you are Grapeshot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This afternoon I went by BK Music in the Stratford Hills Shopping Center and bought a CD of John Phillip Souza music by the USMC band and scored a very unusual Johnny Cash disk - songs of the American Indian.

No one beat the drum about my OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had late lunch at McDonalds in Meadowbrook where I saw my first unicorn in some time = a BMWG.

As he didn't seem too interested that there was another OCer, I deferred further conversation.

Neityher one of us created any panic - simply accepted as it should be.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did a triple take for breakfast this morning.

First Cocoa Puffs at home , then Hardee's for biscuits n gravy, last had a sausage biscuit at Burger King - both of the latter on Jeff Davis Hwy near DuPont.
Unfortunately BK was out of grape jam - blasphemy. Will bring my own next time just to be sure.

Had a few flickers of eyes at Hardee's, but not a disparaging word.

Was a good start to my OCing day after dropping off brake parts at Jim's Transmissions next to Car Max on Midlothian.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had pleasant buffet lunch at King's Korner restaurant at Chesterfield airport.

The clam chowder was particularly good. The fried clams were a bit over done, too dry. Probably from being on the steam table so long. Other than that the food was quite good. Yes, I'll go back.

No one objected to my OCd 1911.

They are open for lunch from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.

The dinner buffet is from 5-9:00 PM.

Friday is Seafood Bar Night: all you can eat fried oysters, spiced shrimp, fried shrimp + baked and fried fish.

Saturday night special is Steak & Ribs and baked Potato Bar - all for $10.95

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Breakfast at Shoney's at W. Broad St. and Skipwith Rd. Ate 3 plates full - last one was whipped cream with not tall bread and strawberries.

Got oil changed at Jiffy Lube in Westland Shopping Center - $99.00 for synthetic and they wanted to charge me extra to add antifreeze to the overflow tank. Another customer engaged me in pleasant conversation about my 1911.

Made a hit and run at Wawa on Rt. 10 near Meadowbrook HS.

No children were stampeded or horses trampled.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Rocked into Golden Corral on Providence Rd. shortly after they opened.

3 Richmond LEOs and 1 sheriff deputy hardly took notice of my purdy 1911. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After celebrating my son's birthday, DoubleTap and I had dinner at Plaza Azteca in Westchester Commons.

Good food (licked the platter clean) and service + very accepting of OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did a double take for breakfast this morning.

First at Burger King on Jefferson Davis Hwy near DuPont for a sausage biscuit with grape jam, then across the street to Hardee's for biscuits n gravy.

My 1911 is well accepted at both places.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you ever eat breakfast at home?
Never.
Only eat pre-breakfast at home, most often Cocoa Puffs.

This morning I will stop at BoJ's for cinnimon twist, then to Golden Corral for the serious eating - trying to gain weight.