• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC reports

The Wolfhound

Got my first stink eye in years - lady who out weighed me 3 times over tried really hard to intimidate me and express her displeasure. Caused me to laugh out loud - thought her face was going to explode.
So she was a Victoria Secrets model? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Seriously, Grape, we know you favor a 1911 because it is better ballast against a strong wind. Spare loaded mags just balance you out.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Had a superb breakfast at Golden Corral on Providence. Ate 4 plates worth, the last 2 were Belgium waffles with all of the goodies. Got my first stink eye in years - lady who out weighed me 3 times over tried really hard to intimidate me and express her displeasure. Caused me to laugh out loud - thought her face was going to explode.

You shouldn't have taken all that food. :D She just jealous! :banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yesterday (Monday) stayed close to home working on the Ram. The low mileage donor truck has many of the parts that I need/want.

Yes I was OCing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Headed into Golden Corral on Providence Rd to quench the fire in my belly.

Stopped at Kroger near Chippenham on Midlothian to replace the fumes in my gas tank with a full compliment of petrol.

Now sitting at the N. Chesterfield residence, hoping that the brake parts are delivered while I am here.

No stink face today about my OC.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCd at Golden Corral for early breakfast - they open at 8:00 am.

Then to gastroenterologist to have feeding tube removed. He wanted to ask about my Safariland quick locking holster but didn't.

Checked front and back porches looking for delivery of Ram upgrades - nothing yet. Similar to watching water boil.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Started my OC day at BoJ's in Powhatan. My very supportive cashier (Cecila) was not there.

Then to Union B&T in Carytown to order a back up debit card.

Took the time to go to Mama J's on N. 1st Street for crab cakes. They were huge!
But there was a fly in the ointment. Normally I do not mix adult beverages and guns, but crab cakes demand a nice beer. When the floor manager told me that I couldn't have a gun on my hip and drink a beer, we had a civil discussion about that. He said it was the law. I showed him where that is clearly not the case. He took the info, VCDL and opencarry cards to the manager and he came back with the response, "He says you are right about the law, but it causes some customers concern."

It being private property, they can make any rules they wish. I had driven to far to sample their crab cakes, I decided to forego the beer and my normal policy of leaving. So I ate crab cakes and had a soda. The crab cakes were good, but not so good as to make me compromise my standards again.

Much easier for them to simply honor Virginia state law. I will be working on convincing them to do just that.

Ended my outing by stopping by Randy's Detail Shop on Midlothian across from Carmax. He was closed for the 4th day in a row. He missed our OC dinner - hope he is alright.

Last edited:

2a4all

Started my OC day at BoJ's in Powhatan. My very supportive cashier (Cecila) was not there.

Then to Union B&T in Carytown to order a back up debit card.

Took the time to go to Mama J's on N. 1st Street for crab cakes. They were huge!
But there was a fly in the ointment. Normally I do not mix adult beverages and guns, but crab cakes demand a nice beer. When the floor manager told me that I couldn't have a gun on my hip and drink a beer, we had a civil discussion about that. He said it was the law. I showed him where that is clearly not the case. He took the info, VCDL and opencarry cards to the manager and he came back with the response, "He says you are right about the law, but it causes some customers concern."

It being private property, they can make any rules they wish. I had driven to far to sample their crab cakes, I decided to forego the beer and my normal policy of leaving. So I ate crab cakes and had a soda. The crab cakes were good, but not so good as to make me compromise my standards again.

Much easier for them to simply honor Virginia state law. I will be working on convincing them to do just that.

Ended my outing by stopping by Randy's Detail Shop on Midlothian across from Carmax. He was closed for the 4th day in a row. He missed our OC dinner - hope he is alright.
Grape:

They did. There is no law compelling a tavern/restaurant owner to sell alcohol to any customer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape:

They did. There is no law compelling a tavern/restaurant owner to sell alcohol to any customer.
Never said they were compelled to sell/serve.

Honoring state law means that if the state does not say something is illegal/forbidden then it shall be accepted.

In the unlikely event that someone complains, the simple response is, "It is legal in Virginia."

2a4all

Grape:

Never said they were compelled to sell/serve.

Honoring state law means that if the state does not say something is illegal/forbidden then it shall be accepted.

In the unlikely event that someone complains, the simple response is, "It is legal in Virginia."

State law is silent on many things, which leaves us free to decide do them or not. Either way honors state law.

Someone did complain. The floor manager complained to you, and apparently, other customers had expressed their concerns as well (in the past). That state law is silent on OC doesn't require anyone to accept/embrace/practice the concept. The bistro has apparently chosen to decline alcoholic beverage service to individuals they know to be armed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
State law is silent on many things, which leaves us free to decide do them or not. Either way honors state law.

Someone did complain. The floor manager complained to you, and apparently, other customers had expressed their concerns as well (in the past). That state law is silent on OC doesn't require anyone to accept/embrace/practice the concept. The bistro has apparently chosen to decline alcoholic beverage service to individuals they know to be armed.
No one complained according to the floor manager - please do not read into what did not occur. He genuinely thought he knew the law - he did not complain to me, but wanted to keep us both on the right side.

Yes private property may set their own rules, but again "honoring" state laws means allowing what is not forbidden/illegal. It does not mandate acceptance.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
3 of us had breakfast at Nick's in Westland shopping center. A couple of google eyes, but nothing serious. The owners and staff know us so well, we are addressed by our first names.

Went to Walmart on Parham Rd where I picked up my needs and a few wants. On the way out, I was assaulted by the receipt checker when I didn't hove to and present my papers. Most of you know how I feel about having to prove legal ownership of my personal possessions and are aware of Walmart's official policy on store security.

When I did not stop for the "excuse me, sir" but simply responded "no thank you," the lady in question rapped me sharply 7 or 8 times on the shoulder from behind which drew an immediate exclamation from me - "Don't touch me again!

I proceeded to put MY belongings in my truck under the watchful eye of the checker. Then went back inside and had a satisfactory conversation with the assistant store manager. As I left he was not so patiently explaining the limits of security theater according to company policy.

They have a problem with shrinkage, but laying on of hands is not the solution unless they wish to make a donation to my Ram's restoration.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Never had this happen. Do they want to inventory your purchase against your receipt, or just see the receipt? Didn't you just come thru the checkout area like immediately before you pass this person? I guess I don't get it?

A presence for others, to serve as a deterrent?

I had the lady at self checkout tell me that they had a big screen TV go out the front door unpaid for.......

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never had this happen. Do they want to inventory your purchase against your receipt, or just see the receipt? Didn't you just come thru the checkout area like immediately before you pass this person? I guess I don't get it?

A presence for others, to serve as a deterrent?

I had the lady at self checkout tell me that they had a big screen TV go out the front door unpaid for.......

Strictly security theater - nothing more.

scouser

Went to Walmart on Parham Rd where I picked up my needs and a few wants. On the way out, I was assaulted by the receipt checker when I didn't hove to and present my papers. Most of you know how I feel about having to prove legal ownership of my personal possessions and are aware of Walmart's official policy on store security.

When I did not stop for the "excuse me, sir" but simply responded "no thank you," the lady in question rapped me sharply 7 or 8 times on the shoulder from behind which drew an immediate exclamation from me - "Don't touch me again!

In all the times I've been in Walmart, only one time did i ever have the person at the exit make an attempt to halt my progress, and it was at that store. Have to admit my response was not quite so polite as yours, instead i just went back to my English roots and shouted 2 words at them, the first of which began with 'P' and is a 4 letter word that, when 'ed' is added can mean either upset/angry or (to an English person at least) drunk, the second word was 'off'.

Many years ago I upset one of the then assistant managers there. I was a driver working out of the Walmart Distribution Center at Zion Crossroads, I was recovering from a broken arm and hadn't been released to drive again so was working in the office on a night shift. Had a driver call me because he was trying to get in the back of the store and they wouldn't open the door at the back of the store for him, nor would they answer his phone calls. It's a long walk to the front door of that store in the dark so he wasn't going to do that. I tried calling the store and had the same lack of success. The main office at the distribution center tried calling on an internal number and still it wasn't answered. It was about 2am and this is a 24 hour store, so being about 50 miles away and unable to see what was going on, I called the non emergency henrico co number, told them I didn't know if there was a problem at the store but i was concerned for the safety of our driver and also for the safety of any employees at the store in case there was an incident as that was all i could think of for the store not to answer an internal company phone.

About 10 minutes later the driver called me to say that the door had been opened for him by an employee who was accompanied by a uniformed county employee (another had showed up outside to check on the driver). About 30 minutes after that the assistant manager called and began cussing at me because he'd just had his ass chewed by 6 or 7 cops who'd responded and been rather upset with him because he'd failed to manage his store and allowed his employees to disappear to where ever they went to hide. Every time he raised his voice at me and every time he cussed I hung up the phone, think it took him 7 or 8 calls to say one sentence. He ended up reporting me, which led to my manager listening to the recordings of our conversations which led to the store's assistant manager being disciplined

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Snip

As Walmart is apparently looking at adding the use of the Scan and Go app that is in use at Sam's Club stores, receipt checking may become a normal procedure. I'm not sure how they will implement it at the Walmart stores though. In Sam's Club you scan items as you place them in your cart and when done you check out with a card on file, then proceed to the exit where they scan a barcode on your phone and count number of items in the cart. No standing in line at cash register.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As Walmart is apparently looking at adding the use of the Scan and Go app that is in use at Sam's Club stores, receipt checking may become a normal procedure. I'm not sure how they will implement it at the Walmart stores though. In Sam's Club you scan items as you place them in your cart and when done you check out with a card on file, then proceed to the exit where they scan a barcode on your phone and count number of items in the cart. No standing in line at cash register.
Have not seen nor heard of this procedure before so really cannot comment intelligently.

First reaction is that they would have to take on some of the attributes of a private club i.e. prior contractual agreement.

At what point would someone be physically restrained from leaving?

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Just a guess, but...

Have not seen nor heard of this procedure before so really cannot comment intelligently.

First reaction is that they would have to take on some of the attributes of a private club i.e. prior contractual agreement.

At what point would someone be physically restrained from leaving?

Likely the use of the app on the phone has a disclaimer that allows them to treat you like a member of a club rather than a non-member customer to use that service. The folks at that store know me so well (it is VERY close to the house) that they have yet to stop me even when stopping almost everyone else. And I have my response already practiced, too: No thank you. I choose not to participate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Early breakfast at BoJ's. Then to Jim's Transmissions to delivery parts for my Ram.

Went to Denny's near Research Rd - they were out of white gravy - so trucked over to the one on W. Broad St. where I got brown gravy instead of the white ordered, no silverware and diced zucchini and squash. Reduced the gratuity enough that I got a giant choco chip cookie.

Got my flu shot (high dose quad) at Walgreen's on Parham Rd + picked a couple of things. The young male cashier said he liked my 1911 - he has one too.