• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Carry

gutshot II

Also still new to carry. I've had my permit less than a year and only CC so far. I've heard, please let me know if this is real and should I be worried about it, that the ones that OC tend to be the first ones shot when an event happens? Don't tend to see many OC around the Sevierville area. Not sure how to CC my new pistol its an AR-15 type pistol in the 5.56 Nato. I found this site looking for long gun laws which after some more search found my answer.

Yes I get shot every day when I walk out the door, and my gun gets snatched, and a cop hassles me. Would you be interested in buying a draw bridge in NC, I have several up for sale?

Yes, I agree with WW. All of us here on OCDO have been shot multiple times and we still refuse to give up OC. We are a very dedicated group. I have lost over 25 guns to gun grabs and my supply is running low. I lost another 2 today.

solus

Also still new to carry. I've had my permit less than a year and only CC so far. I've heard, please let me know if this is real and should I be worried about it, that the ones that OC tend to be the first ones shot when an event happens? Don't tend to see many OC around the Sevierville area. Not sure how to CC my new pistol its an AR-15 type pistol in the 5.56 Nato. I found this site looking for long gun laws which after some more search found my answer.

hummmm...didn't realize TN authorized those who MIGHT use cannabis be granted CC permits, and i am sure those citizens who MIGHT use illegal substances wouldn't lie on the AFT Form 4473's question 11e, either.

hummm, TN doesn't issue, quote: Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application; unquote. https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgqualifications

guess my momma was right Datrebor, you could get in trouble w/your associations you keep!

but WW is correct, the carnage here to me in NC is horrific whenever i OC out here in rural, religious, eastern NC.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The emergency room staff all know me by sight and the location of my scars - center of mass and just behind each ear...:p

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Yes, I agree with WW. All of us here on OCDO have been shot multiple times and we still refuse to give up OC. We are a very dedicated group. I have lost over 25 guns to gun grabs and my supply is running low. I lost another 2 today.
You loose your keys and cellphone two or three times a week, so whats new Joe??????

MontanaResident

OMG!!! So I'm not the only one. LOL!!!!

Bout the only time I CC is when it's cold out side and I'm in a heavy jacket. I'm not a shirt out kind of guy, so it is OC when there is no jacket. And you do get use to it quickly.

lc9gal

Tennessee laws are confusing

I am moving to TN this summer. Current resident of NC. Lawful owner, handgun permitted by county sheriff. Do not have CC license, although I have taken the class.

When I move to TN, do I have to "register" my NC permitted guns? If so, with local town police, county sheriff, or state of TN?
Is a fingerprint permit required to CC?
Is a fingerprint permit required to OC?

In NC, the permit by county sheriff is what you need to buy a gun & therefore that makes you legal to OC. But a fingerprint permit & CC class is required in order to get a CC permit.

What are the laws about carrying in recreational areas of TN? I like to hike & walk the dog. Lots of trails in recreational areas in TN
I have read that a law was passed about carrying in recreational areas. It said you need a carry permit, but it does not say whether that carry is OPEN or CONCEALED.

Please help me understand TN laws better.
Thank you.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I am moving to TN this summer. Current resident of NC. Lawful owner, handgun permitted by county sheriff. Do not have CC license, although I have taken the class.

When I move to TN, do I have to "register" my NC permitted guns? If so, with local town police, county sheriff, or state of TN?

In NC, the permit by county sheriff is what you need to buy a gun & therefore that makes you legal to OC. But a fingerprint permit & CC class is required in order to get a CC permit.

What are the laws about carrying in recreational areas of TN? I like to hike & walk the dog. Lots of trails in recreational areas in TN
I have read that a law was passed about carrying in recreational areas. It said you need a carry permit, but it does not say whether that carry is OPEN or CONCEALED.

Thank you.
You do not register guns in TN.
Open Carry is only legal for those with a valid license to carry a concealed firearm.
Have a read.... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

solus

Thank you.

first welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you are departing the TarHeel state...

if i might clarify something in your post to preclude current & future readers from coming to the wrong conclusion regarding OC’g in NC.

the $5 pistol purchase permit, PPP, you allude to IAW NC 14.402, is strictly for purchase of a singular handgun and has absolutely nothing to do with the NC citizen’s legal ability to OC.

secondly, NC has no permitted nor registration of firearm statutory mandates and the PPP only encompasses a local county/state criminal/mental health background check which in turn exempts NC citizens from FFLs accomplishing a FBI NICS check at the time of sale of the handgun! (Yes box stores still insist they are mandated to do a NICS background but the ATF has exempted NC)

Fallguy

Thank you.

As stated....not registration of guns in TN.

To OC or CC you will need to have a valid HCP (Handgun Carry Permit).

You can have a firearm (that you can legally own) loaded in your vehicle without a permit.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Tennessee Constitution - Article I, Section 26. That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

The constitution does NOT allow for the "licensing to carry arms." The constitution only allow for the state to "regulate the wearing" of arms. What Tennessee law regulates the wearing of arms? The state cannot license a right, period.

Last edited:

Fallguy

Tennessee Constitution - Article I, Section 26. That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

The constitution does NOT allow for the "licensing to carry arms." The constitution only allow for the state to "regulate the wearing" of arms. What Tennessee law regulates the wearing of arms? The state cannot license a right, period.

See TN law at lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode Specifically Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 39-17-1307, 39-17-1308 and 39-17-1351 among others.

That being said..... I think 39-17-1307 is unconstitutional on it's face.....but courts have not ruled that way.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
See TN law at lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode Specifically Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 39-17-1307, 39-17-1308 and 39-17-1351 among others.

That being said..... I think 39-17-1307 is unconstitutional on it's face.....but courts have not ruled that way.
And Justice Thomas has said as much, the lower courts are not complying with the constitution or the rulings of the high court.

RedNeck Texan

I've open carried a few times, but usually I don't really want people to know I have it. I don't want anyone who thinks they want it and can take it to get any ideas or anything... to me its overall safer flying under the radar.

I am a retired instructor in Texas. When others here have worried about this issue I have challenged them to find a documented case reported in a newspaper or police report. No one has been able too and that includes a reporter for Lufkin Daily News. A Cox enterprise very liberal leaning publication.

In class I taught "any evident visible means of self defense is a strong deterrent to crime."

Hope to hear that you OC more often and much more comfortably.

Ken56

I moved to TN 5 years ago from Michigan. OC'd in MI and while no license is required in MI to OC I did have my CPL because of the BS laws of stores that sell alcohol and it being considered concealed while in a vehicle. There are a few differences like the requirement of licensed carry ONLY in TN. You MUST have your HCP, handgun carry permit, to carry in public ANYWHERE except your private property in the state of TN. I think it is unconstitutional also but that is how they do it here. Even if you have another states carry permit you will need to take the class and go through the whole process again when you move here. You have 6 months to convert your out of state license to a TN license. The only exception to licensed carry is while in a vehicle, none required, to accommodate all the tourists even though TN recognizes all other states permits. There is no requirement to keep it in a locked compartment like the console or glove box.

Since moving to TN I have carried both concealed and OC with no issues at all. I OC around my little town and no one has said anything about it except the pharmacist who also OC's and saw that I was OC also. He relayed the story of being robbed once in the store therefore he always carries and wanted a visual deterrent. I have been seen by many LEO's and they don't bat an eye. No one has said anything negative to me. I have seen only 2 other people OC in my area. We are rare. I try to do my part in educating people while OCing but no one has engaged me in conversation concerning it.

Welcome to TN.